This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I only tithe 10% to God....

So I used to be a waiter for a popular restaurant in Kansas. I was probably the best server in the restaurant at the time. This couple comes in and I know they just came in from church because they had their bibles with them. I knew the tip wouldn't be so good, but I always give awesome service because there is that one couple that will always surprise you. I give them my usual service which includes trying to start a conversation and laughing at their jokes and so forth. I know they have enjoyed their visit based on the smiles on their faces when I bring them their check. I watch them from afar as they sign their credit slip and leave. I am expecting at least 20%, but 15% wouldn't be bad. Before I can read the tip he left I notice some writing on the bottom of the check. It said, and I quote, "The service was awesome and I will definitely come back and ask for you. That being said I only tithe 10% to god, so I don't tip more than 10% either..."

Hey, you tithe 10% of your take-home pay to God. If you were tithing me 10% of your take home pay I agree that would be a lot, but you are tipping me on a $30 tab, not your entire paycheck.

And this isn't the first time I ever had someone tell me this. Try at least 10 other times.
    The only good thing to come out of religion is the music. -George Carlin

Yes, because tithing and tipping are the same thing.....

And you don't tithe to God...you tithe to your church. Also, not the same thing.

He's just a douche looking for an excuse to stiff you.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

It never fails to amaze me the lengths cheapwads will go through and the excuses and justifications they make just so that they can feel okay about being cheapwads.

Comment

Don't servers in the USA get taxed on their tips regardless of whether or not they actually receive them? In which case this customer failed to "render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's". Its really not on.
        A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
        - Dave Barry

Comment

You should tell people like that The more you TIP the more I can TITHE!!
          "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth Barefootgirl View Post
            Don't servers in the USA get taxed on their tips regardless of whether or not they actually receive them? In which case this customer failed to "render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's". Its really not on.
            Yes, they do. Fortunately, since the asshole did tip ten percent, the waiter did not end up paying to serve him. They (and its been a while since I waited, so thing may be different now) tax you based on your total sales and assume you made at least ten percent. So they tax you on that ten percent. If you make under that, your employer is SUPPOSED to cover you for that, but it's been my experience that they rarely do, if they do at all. A lot of servers don't even know that. So you end up getting taxed on money you didn't make.

If you make over that, good for you. Maybe you'll make enough over to cover the inevitable cheapwad you will end up paying to serve that night.

Comment

Tip Scandal

It is true that you pay taxes whether you get tipped or not. In Kansas if someone stiffs you then you have lost money. Managers get around the 10% thing by saying that there are days when we make more than 10% so it all evens out in the end.
              The only good thing to come out of religion is the music. -George Carlin

Comment

Tipping always makes me feel awkward. This is not to say I avoid it when I can, it's a case of I can never do the freaking math. >.< As such, I think I've ended up leaving some tips much larger than I meant to. At least here in Canada it's a nice bonus for the server. You can't get away with paying your employees less at a restaurant because of tips, you actually need to pay them a wage.
                "I am nothing if not an equal opportunity asshole." -Gravekeeper

"F**k you and your tie." -Jester

Comment

Let's put it this way..their logic is sound...it's fair...however, the math is NOT equivalent.
                  I can only please one person a day, today isn't your day, and tomorrow doesn't look good either.

When someone asks you a stupid question, give them a stupid answer.

Comment

Just explain to them that you would prefer that he either gives you 10% of his entire income and converts to the church of Winzall or that he act in accordance with local custom and base the tip on the country's standards. Tell him you will accpet either 10% or his income or 18% of his meal, the lessor of which is fine, but the greater would be considered better
                    "I've put in so many enigmas and puzzles that it will keep the professors busy for centuries arguing over what I meant, and that's the only way of insuring one's immortality."
                    - James Joyce

Comment

Yet another person attempting to translate the teachings in the Bible to best benefit himself. By the so-called logic used by this SC, he shouldn't attempt to buy anything that would be more than his tithe. After all, if he doesn't give that much to God, he shouldn't spend it on worldly possessions, right?

Comment

Quoth winzall View Post
                        "That being said I only tithe 10% to god, so I don't tip more than 10% either..."
                        Wonderful. Using God to justify being cheap.

He would not have written that had he not KNOWN he was in the wrong to tip so poorly.
                        Last edited by South Texan; 04-01-2011, 08:54 PM.
                        "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
                        .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Quoth South Texan View Post
                          Wonderful. Using God to justify being cheap.

He would not have written that had he not KNOWN he was in the wrong to tip so poorly.
                          Amen,brother!
                          "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

Be glad you got that.

You could have gotten one of these instead :

Now that would have sucked (not that being cheap and only tipping 10% didn't suck also).
                            Dammit !! ~ Jack Bauer

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                              Fortunately, since the asshole did tip ten percent, the waiter did not end up paying to serve him. They (and its been a while since I waited, so thing may be different now) tax you based on your total sales and assume you made at least ten percent. So they tax you on that ten percent.
                              Unless they had to share tips with bussers, the kitchen, etc.
                              A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Working...
                              X