X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really?

OK who lets these people out?

I encounter this every day I work.

If you want to get ink for your printer then I need either the cartridge or printer number.

Telling me that it's a 3 in 1 or a 4in 1 does not help.
    Telling me how old it is does not help.
    Describing and miming the size of it with your hands does not help.
    No they don't all take the same (unless it's a kodak)
    I catch you staring at the canons for a good five minutes and then you tell me you have an epson?
    If you bought the printer three years ago I will guarantee it's not still being sold. I don't care if it looks the same, that doesn't mean the ink is the same.
    If I told it's the wrong ink don't tell me your sure it'll work
    Memorizing the picture on the package does not help, companies change their packaging.

I need a cartridge number or a printer number, telling me the wrong number will get you the wrong ink.

Seriously how freaking hard is it. you can
    1. remember it
    2. bring the old cartridge (though bring all the colours you need, canon likes to mix an match numbers with their blacks and colours)
    3. write it down
    4. bring the old box
    5. store it in your phone
    6. take a picture of the numbers
    7. if you just bought it, show me the one on the floor
    8. bring the printer in
    9. phone a friend
    10. poll the audience
    11. 50/50 it
    and last but no least
    12. have a fucking clue

now I realize there are people who don't plan on getting it and just try to get some while they are there but there are people who come in specifically for ink and do this.
    Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
    Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

It hurts some people's brains to think, I believe.
    "Imagine that. Human souls, trapped like flies in the World Wide Web, stuck forever, crying out for help."-The Doctor
    "Isn't that basically Twitter?"-Clara

Comment

Quoth gremcint View Post
      OK who lets these people out?

If you want to get ink for your printer then I need either the cartridge or printer number.
      Oh, yeah, same here. People expect us to *know* what ink they need.
      "What kind of printer is it?"
      "uhh....I got it Freshman Year."
      Well, that's a *big* help.
      "It's the same one *everybody* got."
      Well, we sold about 50 Epsons and 50 HPs. And you don't know which, only that it's a printer, it's bigger than a breadbox, and you got it your Freshman Year like 400 other Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors. Thanks.

No doubt, we are not the only store that gets requests for "black and white ink", ink when the customer needs toner, and "Cayenne" ink (that's what you use to print pictures of hot peppers with). Of course, the "technical secretaries" always send the work studies over with "We need ink (toner) for a HP xxxxx" so we get to figure out what the exact toner cartridge is.

Oh, and people will ignore the "toner low" warning for weeks, even getting the toner out and shaking it to get the last bit out, which is fine BUT if the d*mn printer is MISSION CRITICAL why don't you ORDER THE D*MN TONER *before* it TOTALLY runs out??? In fact, why don't all these people have a "backup" toner in the supply closet rather than letting a toner cartridge cause a crisis? It's not your money, people, it's in your annual budget.

Bleh, rant over

P*S

Comment

It's not your money, people, it's in your annual budget.
        But the object of the annual budget is to try to end the fiscal year with as much of it still in the bank as possible. This is why some companies will not let their admin assistants replace anything until they are completely out of supplies. Then they have a crisis because OMG wecan'tprintanything!!
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

We need ink (toner) for a HP xxxxx
          That's perfectly fine we have a thing on our website where you can look up the ink really quick.

Comment

Quoth gremcint View Post
            Seriously how freaking hard is it. you can
            1. remember it
            2. bring the old cartridge (though bring all the colours you need, canon likes to mix an match numbers with their blacks and colours)
            3. write it down
            4. bring the old box
            5. store it in your phone
            6. take a picture of the numbers
            7. if you just bought it, show me the one on the floor
            8. bring the printer in
            9. phone a friend
            10. poll the audience
            11. 50/50 it
            and last but no least
            12. have a fucking clue
            You left out "bring a Printer Status Report generated by the printer and/or its utility, displaying the printer model number, the ink model number(s), and the estimated ink levels". For that matter, some printers come with a wallet-sized card listing all the cartridge information.

Comment

To be fair, memorising the picture is a good idea for epson. All the ranges are differnt, at least in the uk

Comment

Quoth Argus View Post
                For that matter, some printers come with a wallet-sized card listing all the cartridge information.
                A few years back I bought a multifunction printer from Walmart. Two of those cards were in the package, one with a helpful sticky dot on the back. I simply slapped it to the side of my printer and put the other in my "Stuff Drawer" with the printer manual. The ink usage has been good, mostly because I don't USE that printer very much - but it's handy to have around. But I know what kind of ink it takes at a glance! ... If they even make that ink anymore. I think they do; I bought a new black cartridge a couple months ago.

Comment

The past few printers I've bought came with a business card sized card with the ink #'s on it. I just put it in my wallet - I guess that's too hard for people to think about?
                  Quote Dalesys:
                  ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

All of which reminds me, I have not had the black ink that I ordered several weeks ago. Thanks.
                    "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                      But the object of the annual budget is to try to end the fiscal year with as much of it still in the bank as possible.
                      Isn't it the opposite? If you don't spend the budget, they assume you need less next year, so you should spend every last penny by the end of the fiscal year?

I probably shouldn't get my business tips from Dilbert though
                      Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Comment

Quoth Syriilord View Post
                        Isn't it the opposite? If you don't spend the budget, they assume you need less next year, so you should spend every last penny by the end of the fiscal year?

I probably shouldn't get my business tips from Dilbert though
                        No, no. That's quite correct in most places, and goes 150% for any government workplaces. There are some great end-of-fiscal-year parties planning meetings.
                        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth tanzap82 View Post
                          To be fair, memorising the picture is a good idea for epson. All the ranges are differnt, at least in the uk
                          companies change their packaging and some people buy ink less than once a year.

Also they'll tell me butterfly and there three different butterfly packages.

Comment

This is why I'm glad Staples has that book that lets you look up your ink by printer. The numbers on my HP ink always seem to change on me, the packages are always identical to all the other packages, and I never remember to bring the old ink package with me, but I do know what printer I have so I can look it up. Very useful.
                            "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                            - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

don't most printer companies these days put numbers on their ink cartridges????? all you have to do is open the little door and hmmmm see the number on the cart.

Every injet type printer I have owned in the last 15 years has done that. plus I have the little card or sticky that says what number cartridge(s) I need.

I do not get NOT being able ...... never mind I forgot where I was.
                              I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                              -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Working...
                              X