This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bills, Bereavement & Beatings

Quick recap: I work for "EnergyCompany" in the UK fielding calls from customers, in theory just regarding moving house, however i get a solid mixture of near everything mixed in. Now the vast vast majority of my callers are normal people, they are phoning for a legitmate reason and are reasonably sensible, however a few.......

Two Bills No Brain

I understand that your mother has received two bills for the same period. This is less about "EnergyCompany" trying to confuse your mother into paying twice and steal from her, and more about the bill being overdue. So it was resent in the off chance that the first bill got lost in the mail. Accusing me of harrassing a vunerable old woman won't make me give you compensation for her mental distress.

Gas =/= Electric

I know you have a final statement there proving that you paid the final bill when you sold the house. I am not disputing that. What i am disputing is that, the bill you paid says Electric in big letters and the one that is still outstanding says Gas. Threatening to go to your legal advisor to sue for £5,000 does not impress nor worry me.
    BTW. The bill he was arguing about, that he was going to pay to see a legal advisor about was £17. He spent 30 minutes arguing this with me.

Stop scaring your mother

A bit of background, the person on the phone is actually the customers son, who is disputing another final bill when she moved house (about £40)

Asking me how much the previous bill was is a reasonable request, repeating the figure back to me in a loud shocked voice, so that your mother is thinking that is the size of the bill isn't. I can hear her in the background nearly crying that she doesn't owe £200. Doing this several times with different figures only makes me despise you more. I get that you want Mommy to think her little soldier is fighting the evil gas company, but all you're doing is upsetting her and annoying me.

But my aunts dead

Your aunt died two years ago, you were left the house, any gas and/or electricity used in the house since it was left to you is down to you to pay for. I understand that you're trying to sell it but it's still yours. Calling me immoral for threatening a dead person with disconnection is wrong on so many levels, not least is the fact that we're threatening you. Repeatedly stating that you aunt has died won't make a difference we know this. We had an account under her name, then we had an account under her estate name, now we have an account under your name. With bills. That need paying.

Small Bill

Sometimes (very rarely) due to small correction being made on an acocunt, we end up with a balance of a few pence, if it's acredit then no matter how small we will send it out. If it's a debit then figures less than 50p should be caught and wiped off. Sometimes this doesn't happen. So if you call to pay off a 19p bill, i will tell you i have just put 19p credit on your account to cancel it out. This makes customers happy, which EnergyCompany prefers. However this is done on agent's discretion so if you ring up screaming about a 10p bill, that was created in the first place because you miswrote a cheque, then i can quite happy force you to pay it.
    This is why you should always be calm and ask politely, then you might be surprised.

A Long time ago
    (I am not involved in this story at all, just relating it)

A few years back a customer calls to check whether his and his wifes accounts were shut down correctly, the customer passed all data protection. The agent not only informed himt hat it was but also double checked the forwarding address by telling the husband who confirmed it. The husband then goes to the address finds his wife, who is hiding from him and puts her in hospital.
    This is why we neevr give you any information, we ask you to confirm your phone number, address, etc by telling us not the other way around, because doing it the wrong way just once can have serious consequences.

Calling me immoral for threatening a dead person with disconnection is wrong on so many levels
    OK, that's also illogical on so many levels....
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Holy crap on the last story! I wonder if most places treat information that way (as in having the customer recite versus the employee providing), because I can see this happening with almost any type of bill. Scary.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
        Holy crap on the last story! I wonder if most places treat information that way (as in having the customer recite versus the employee providing), because I can see this happening with almost any type of bill. Scary.
        In my experience, they do. Also just so no one can steal your information.
        "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

There are very serious laws in most places regarding that last one, and most companies I have dealt with have been very good about them. The only problem is that they can also be used in a scammer's favor. It is not uncommon for credit companies to call up a card holder due to something on their account (for instance unusual purchases), however the first thing they have to do is verify that you are indeed you, and thus they need to get some sort of information out of you. My personal suggestion is to verify who they say they are by using your own contact number for the company (some companies will ask you to call them back).

Honestly, I feel horrible for both the wife and the agent that made that slip up, I know that would absolutely rip me up inside if I ever did that.

Comment

We had an account under her name, then we had an account under her estate name, now we have an account under your name. With bills. That need paying.
            i wonder if the lawyer in charge of the estate explained this to him; whatever you inherit also includes unpaid charges (if applicable), but then again, the idiot probably only heard 'inherited' and was thinking about the money.
            look! it's ghengis khan!
            Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth chainedbarista View Post
              i wonder if the lawyer in charge of the estate explained this to him; whatever you inherit also includes unpaid charges (if applicable), but then again, the idiot probably only heard 'inherited' and was thinking about the money.
              No the charges whilst it is going through probate go against the estatse, that was dealt with at the time easily, she is arguing about the bills that have been racked up since she has taken over full responsibility of the house.

Comment

@the last story: This is one of the main reasons why I tell co-workers to stop giving out other co-workers schedules, because we don't know who the customers are. No one knows these customers from a hole in the wall. No one knows if it's a bat-shit insane person from a co-workers past that will wait outside and hurt the co-worker when they leave for the day. No one knows anything.
                Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Working...
                X