X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irate drama dept. customer

People involved in this post:
    irate drama dept. customer
    Mr. Z: head of the theater at the university I work at as a Visitor Parking attendant
    Nancy *not her real name*: Parking office clerk

Visitor parking was reserved for an event today that was not sponsored by the theater. The full sign was turned on, & I also placed the big white sign stating Visitor Parking is closed for a special event in front of the Visitor Parking booth.

I work from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday. I am the only one inside the booth during those times. There is no one who can releive me for a break. There are 2 signs that the parking office had made to post inside the Visitor parking booth. I have to raise the 2 gates at the booth whenever I leave for a break. Since very few people actually see the 2 signs at the Visitor Parking booth, I posted another sign at the ticket machine that is in front of the entrance gate.

I get back from my break, & there are 3 cars waiting in line. The first car is waiting at the entrance gate. I get inside the booth, & the phone inside the booth is ringing. So I answer it. Here is what happened.

me: "How may I help you?"
    guy: "Hi...I am here for the play at the theater, but I was told by the Parking office I could not park. So I called Mr Z, & he is on his way to their office to get clearance for me to park."
    me: "I'm sorry, but I cannot raise the entrance gate for you to enter until the Parking office gives me the ok, & so you will have to wait until I get an answer."

I forgot to tell him to move to the side. He is still waiting inside his car at the entrance gate. The 2 cars behind him could not enter until he backed up & left. So I go up to his car to let him know that he cannot wait at the entrance gate. He told me he was not leaving. So I told him there are cars behind him & that I cannot let anyone block traffic. He says fine, & he starts backing up. But he cannot because of the car behind him. So I go up to that driver & ask her what she is here for. She was not here for the event, & so she had to find other parking. The third driver was here for the event, but she could not enter until the 2 cars infront of her exited. The female exited, & then the guy backed up & turned around. I went inside the booth, lowered the 2 gates, & I used the clicker to let the 3rd customer into the garage. The irate male customer drives up to the Visitor Parking booth. So I call the Parking office. Nancy answer the phone. I asked her if Mr. Z had come to the office to see if his guest could park. She told me he did, but he was told no, his guest could not park. Then I told her his guest was waiting at the Visitor parking booth window. She told me I would have to let him know he could not park. I give him the bad news.

irate male customer: "Excuse me!!!?"

I repeat myself

irate male customer: "You need to tell the parking office that they need to get their ass in gear. I am a distinguished alumni, & I see many open spots in the garage. I want to know who reserved the garage, why it was reserved, & for which event. You need to give me this information because I will tell the organization, dept, or group that did this exactly what I think."
    me: "I am sorry, but the customer has to tell me exactly what they are here for. I am not at liberty to give out that information to anyone."
    irate male customer: "Fine, then I will get that information from the Parking office, & I will tell *bunch of names he started naming off* & whoever else I need to tell that the Parking office does this to customers. I guess you do not know anything."

He finally leaves.

Last edited by snugglegirl05; 04-06-2011, 10:41 PM.

I get mail all the time from my former university, telling my I'm a distinguished alumni. Why? Because they're asking for donations.
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Well, you know, it IS the "drama" department.

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
        I get mail all the time from my former university, telling my I'm a distinguished alumni. Why? Because they're asking for donations.
        What was that quote on Castle? "I got kicked out of every prestigious private school in and around New York. Of course, not that I'm rich and famous, they're all listing me as an alumni."
        You gotta polish a memory like a stone. Chip off the parts that remind you it was just a game. Work it until it's indistinguishable from any other memory.

Comment

No it wasn't, but now I feel all special.
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
            Well, you know, it IS the "drama" department.

Now that was funny. Another guest arrived to attend the play, & he got pissed when I told him he could not park. He even said "this is B.S."

Then when I looked at the Outlook calendar which the Parking office posts the reservations on, I noticed 25 spots reserved for the same play at the university theater later on tonight.

Hmmm...I wonder what caused that to happen.

Later yesterday, Andrea *not her real name*, the Director of Parking & Transportation, called me to tell me to call them whenever I am dealing with an irate customer. She or one of her employees would call campus police if needed. She sounded frustrated when she spoke to me. The thing is this, I have read worse stories on this website, & so what he did was minor compared to what I read. I was able to deal with him without getting pissed off & without crying. I stayed neutral the entire time.

Comment

Working...
            X