This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Stops

So a bunch of short stories from when I delivered for Daddy Jake's a few years ago:

You bastard

This happened after I first started, went to a dorm (was in a college town) to deliver a pizza. It's evening and the lighting isn't the best, but the guy meets me, drops a few dollars and coins into my hands and books it. I knew right then, and from what he dropped into my hand, that something wasn't right.

Three dollars, a quarter and two pesos.

Flippin' pesos. I got screwed.

When I got back to the store, the manager asked why I didn't stop him. Uh, it was dark and I didn't get a good look at his face maybe? So of course had to pay for it out of my tips for the night.

I'll save you!

Once during the winter I was on a delivery and cut through an alley in a residential area to get where I needed to go (not dangerous ones, just ones that have been there since the city was founded, very common shortcuts). As I'm driving I look to my right and see what looks like a small child face-down in the snow, not moving.

So I slam on the brakes, get out, and rush to the child. . .

To find that it's a large Shrek doll some kid left in the snow. Sure startled me at first!

Watch it!

This being a college town, every weekend when school is in session this place turns into the orgy scene from The Ten Commandments. I'm driving down a street near downtown when a wooden board drops onto my hood!

I hit the brakes and get out to find a guy on a balcony who had been throwing debris onto the road because he thought it was funny. I yelled at him that he almost hit my windshield and he apologized and begged me not to call the cops. Well, there was no damage and I had things to do so I told him to cut it out and went on my way.

Waahhhh. . .

As the only female delivery driver on the fleet for the most part, I missed out on opportunities the others took advantage of, even though it was against the rules: playing taxi.

For some reason, drunk kids will pay a driver more than a cab to take them somewhere, often not very far. Thus it wasn't a huge surprise when a guy approached my car at a stoplight asking if I'd take him and his buddies somewhere for $100. He didn't like when I told him no though, as being the owner of a vagina puts me at certain disadvantages and I'm not about to let a bunch of drunk college guys into my car.

His oh-so-reasoned response: "That's more money than you would make all night." And then as he passed my car he smacked the hood in a minor tantrum.

Boo hoo.

XYZ

So I deliver to an apartment complex where this guy (drunk, naturally) is waiting. He's taking his sweet, intoxicated time counting out the payment, when I happen to look down and notice the zipper on his shorts is down.

"Um, ah, sir, your uh. . ." *Points*

Drunk: "Oh, oops! I'm sorry, I'm drunk." *Zips up*

Customer's girlfriend to the rescue!

Again, during the winter, I was making a deliver to the sticks (a little ways out of town). The weather sucked. It was snowing, blowing, windy. . . I almost went off the road a couple of times, but I got there in a good amount of time. It's a little trailer out damn near in the middle of nowhere, but it was a college-age couple. I tell him his total, and he hands me cash.

For the exact amount. I drove through all that crap to get screwed.

But wait! His girlfriend pipes up:

"Aren't you going to tip her?"

The guy grudgingly tips me a couple bucks. Cheap bastard.

I hope you all enjoyed that!

That's horrid! I have customers come through, some with out-of-country coins. Thankfully, most of the coins can go to those customers that are actually headed into or near that country.

As for the cheapskate in the sticks...if it's snowy out, I live in town, but I make sure that the driver knows what problems they may have parking (the wonderful city has repaved part of the street so often that it's a hazard on ice) and insure I have a tip at *least* 5-% of the bill- more if they are polite.

Comment

In regards to the first story, I think an appropriate response to being shorted by that dorm-dweller would be to inform that dorm that, due to what happened, that deliveries to there would be suspended for a period of time (say, a week or so), with the possibility of having any further orders refused if there were further problems. I believe that the cheapskate's neighbors would find some creative ways of indicating their displeasure with his actions.

Comment

Working...
      X