This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doesn't anyone sleep at night?

So I was working on price changes this morning around 6am and T hollers for me to come to him. So I wander over to where he was and see all these shippers and packing paper and little hot wheels cars everywhere. WTF? So I asked him what happened and he told me this story.

Apparently there is this one dude, who comes in every truck night around 2am and waits for them to pull the new toy stock out to the floor, then proceeds to pick through the skids and open every new box of hot wheels that is out there. He goes through every box and leaves a huge mess and usually doesn't even buy anything to show for it. We're not talking some young kid, this dude is like in his late forties if I'm thinking of the right one.

Now, I understand that people collect things, but to do that three nights a week must seriously put a dent into your social life. It's a 99 cent hot wheels car, for crying out loud. What I don't know is why he seems to think that we'll magically get that new, hard to find item? I've not seen a new style of hot wheel in that store in years.

I can also understand why T is frustrated. I would be too. Not sure why he was telling me about this, there isn't much I can do since I can't kick him out. But seriously, "2am at big box store that isn't walmart" three nights a week? I wonder what his wife thinks he's doing... I know my husband wouldn't believe me if I said that.

sounds like one of Irv's "collectors" moved. or went on a road trip
    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Shouldn't someone (maybe your store's LP) ask him not to open the boxes. Afterall, he's not an employee. He should wait like a good little boy for a staff member to take them out so he can paw through looking for the "Solid Gold Hotwheel of Destiny" (tm)

Have a cookie on me.
      Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Comment

Quoth laborcat View Post
        I wonder what his wife thinks he's doing... I know my husband wouldn't believe me if I said that.
        I'm amused that despite everything you typed up in your post, you actually think this guy is married. Not a chance. Trust me.
        GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

If he's literally opening the retail packaging, if someone catches him in the act, gather up everything in a shopping cart, take it and him to the front and make him for it.

Then ban him.

Comment

$10 says he doesn't have a wife.

-.-
            Teach a SC to fish... and they will whine about you not catching, filleting, frying, and serving it up on a silver platter for them. - EvilEmpryss

Comment

^ what office slug said.

seriously; unless you work there, skids and boxed items are OFF LIMITS. keep your dirty sc paws off them and WAIT for them to be displayed...impatient ass.
              look! it's ghengis khan!
              Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

I know of some places that will keep the new hot wheels shipments in back because of this.
                "Of all the liars in the world, sometimes the worst are your own fears." – Rudyard Kipling

I don't have hot flashes. I have short, private vacations to the tropics.

Comment

The reason he does this is probably for Hot Wheels Treasure Hunts. There's maybe one in every two or three boxes, but their rarity (somewhat) makes them collectible. They have unique designs on them as well that set them apart from the normal pack, in addition to slightly different markings on the blister pack. They have two new styles now where the regular treasure hunts are special, but the even rarer ones have rubber wheels. You can find them on eBay fairly cheap, but in a way it takes out the thrill of the hunt.

Yes, I collect them myself, but I never bother anyone in the backroom. If I'm at Wal Mart later at night and I'll spot boxes out to be displayed, I'll ask permission to go through them, and I always put them back in the same clean order. I've actually found a few at drug stores and such. It's a fun activity, but some people are obsessed about it.

Comment

I don't see this dude being deterred by The Back. I picture him back there with his own personal box cutter--or maybe even a machete--pawing through wooden shelves of merchandise looking for the Ark of the Matchbox.

Comment

I'm really starting to think Hot Wheels collectors should= SHOOT ON SIGHT.

They have no courtesy, they follow no rules. They will pick through pallets, they will raid employees-only stockrooms. They will even fight each other. All for a shiny chunk of metal that, at best, will appreciate in value to a couple cents more than they paid for it.

I got a co-worker who used to work at a clearance swamp store in Washington state. He told me all cases of Hot Wheels cars went right to the store manager's office, and he put them out on the floor and took the rest to the back. This might be something worth considering for the OP.
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Accompanied by his dog Marion. Don't sniff the ark Marion!
                        Bark like a chicken!

Comment

I think the OP's offender needs a couple of 2am's in the clink for trespassing. What IS it with Matchbox cars, anyway?

Comment

He must not have internet access because anyone can go on eBay and do a buy it now for as little as $2 or so for the Treasure Hunts.

Comment

Quoth morgana View Post
                              I think the OP's offender needs a couple of 2am's in the clink for trespassing. What IS it with Matchbox cars, anyway?
                              While I like this idea, I have a much more suiting one. A leg iron. Attach to SC, and every display/crate/ etc that is rummaged through by any SC the 'Hot Wheel' SC has to clean up/repack/etc. I figure only once or twice of this, and no more rummaging. Then move on to the next SC
                              Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Working...
                              X