This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Night of insanity!

No, seriously, I swear, every time I turned around, something else was going wrong...
    The dental table
    An older gent rings up a pack of dental picks (pre-laced dental floss things...?), rings at $2.79... gent puts in his rewards card, and no change in price (not showing as on sale, either...) He picks up the picks and walks over to me at another register, and says... "These said they're $2.00 on the table I got them from..."
    J: *blink, blink* "Which table, sir?"
    "The one with all the dental stuff on it?"
    J: "Oh, right... that table..." I have no clue what he's talking about... he must've found it misplaced on the clearance table...it's only 79 cents difference... I type in a coupon for 79 cents and tell him I fixed it.
    G: *goes to the register next to me, which is not where his purchase is in progress... and tries to scan the thing again...
    I point him back at the register where his transaction is in progress, and he goes back over and tries to scan the thing again.
    J: "Sir, all that's left now is to pay..."
    G: "Oh..."

I can't remove something that isn't there...
    Lady checks out through a real line and starts to leave, getting as far as the door before turning around and stomping back in to me...
    "I asked her to remove these oranges, but not the clementines, can you show me where she removed them? I can't find it on the receipt..."
    (Surely, you can already see what's wrong with this?)
    J: I look at her receipt, and I only see the clementines she bought. "I don't see any other oranges on here..."
    "What about these?" She points out a line that says 'Drisc Str Org'...
    J: "Driscoll's something Organic... pretty sure those aren't oranges..." and we start pawing through the bags in her cart, and I finally pull out her strawberries. "Driscoll's, see?"
    "Why are they five dollars?"
    J: "You got organic strawberries, organic always costs more."
    "I don't want them at that price..."
    J: "Guest services is over there... they can fix it..."

That's Ad-horrible!
    Wandered off to the restroom at some point, and I could hear, in the next stall over, a dad and his son... and the son only wanted to flush the toilet, but dad wouldn't let him until he peed... so, kid goes, and dad flushes it, kid starts bawling... and that's enough of that story...

Last call...
    I seriously hate the last customer of my closing shifts, I swear, every single time, someone does something that keeps me a little late...
    Two ladies come up about five till close tonight, and start checking out, get done just as the lights go out in the store, and I look over and realize they're trying to do a WIC transaction... I CAN'T DO WIC on UScan... I offer to suspend it and such as needed, only to find out I can't suspend the transaction due to where they are in it... so, no can do...
    "I call murder on that!"

You have my deepest sympathies Juwl. Especially for those two ladies at closing. I've always had similar problems when doing a closing shift. The last person always ends up causing some kind of hassle that takes 10 - 20 minutes to sort out.

Have a cookie on me.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Comment

I forgot two stories:
      What'd I do?
      Now, I was buy helping another couple as this happened, so, this is going to be second hand, kind of...
      A nice guy was finishing up his purchase on a UScan, and was to the point of pulling bags off... a rude lady came over and started to scan and load groceries on the register, while the guy was still unloading. Her excuse? "I'm in a hurry..."
      Guy gets all the way around, has removed all his bags, and gets a bit confused as he picks up what turns out to be her gallon of milk. She goes insane, "That's MY milk!" Not like he was actually taking it, he just briefly picked it up and looked confused at it before setting it back down.
      She then moves over next to him and gets close enough to start shoving her elbow at him, so, of course, he gets pissed, "Don't shove me!"
      She acts all innocent, "I didn't shove you, I don't know what you're talking about..."
      He leaves, just as I'm finishing with the other couple's problem, so I missed the whole thing.

Escalating disability
      Had a lady come through just as Night Manager was getting ready to leave, half full cart... and she immediately says, "You know, whoever's idea it was to not have real cashiers 24/7 is really inconvenient for the handicapped..."
      That called my attention to her really fast, and, I admit, I looked to see if she had any visible disability, but I couldn't tell, as she was standing pretty darn upright, with no bizarre limb positioning... (going off my personal disability troubles, not making judgments...)
      She continued, "I have Lupus... and checking out a full buggy like this is very difficult."
      Night Manager immediately jumps in to smooth things over and check her out with the integrated cash register thing UScan has... Luckily, he cut me off before I could say, "I agree, as a survivor of a stroke, these are a bit difficult for large orders, however..." don't really have a choice once all the cashiers are gone...
      "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
        "Why are they five dollars?"
        J: "You got organic strawberries, organic always costs more."
        "I don't want them at that price..."
        J: "Guest services is over there... they can fix it..."
        Is it just me, or would it be easier to check the price before you put it in your trolley?
        "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

I can kind of understand the problem behind the strawberries... she might've accidentally picked up organic, as we tend to keep regular and organic in the same cooler, for some reason...

Also, I remembered yet another one...
          I'm a denius, skipping this line
          So, guy comes up, wants to buy... I dunno...? $200 in gift cards... no big deal there... but, after he scans one that's similar to about half the ones in his hand, he tries to scan it again, instead of scanning the others... and the computer calls to me on that, cause, obviously, it can only active the card once, and it needs the card info to activate the others... no big deal, guy starts to scan everything... but, due to the total cost of gift cards in his order, when he pays with a credit card, the system prompts me to get the card and his ID to make sure they match. He hands them over, and... they don't... they're similar, but they don't. And seeing as we recently got told to get management approval on suspicious gift card transactions, I hesitate and ask him who 'Richard' is?
          "My dad..."
          J: "Er... yeah, I don't think I can take this card..."
          "It's my dad's card, he loaned it to me because I couldn't find my diner's club card...if it's going to be a problem, I can use a different card..."
          J: "Unfortunately, I can't take this card... so..." I hand it back to him and clear the error so he can try again with a different card. He swipes, and the check ID message comes up again, so I ask for the new card, and input all the info. And presume the guy's gonna be pissed when he talks to Daddy about how the mean ol' clerk at the store wouldn't let me use your card to buy $200 worth of gift cards...
          "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
            Is it just me, or would it be easier to check the price before you put it in your trolley?
            Well easier for the cashier but this would actually require effort on the customers part beyond "me want" *grab*.
            Bark like a chicken!

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
              And presume the guy's gonna be pissed when he talks to Daddy about how the mean ol' clerk at the store wouldn't let me use your card to buy $200 worth of gift cards...
              I'm thinking Daddy's gonna be pissed when he found out just who as been trying to buy what with his credit card, without permission...
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
                I always thought the talk of math illiteracy was bull until I worked at a grocery store for a while. Yeah, I don't think that cart full of groceries will be less than twenty bucks.

Comment

That's worse than when I had 3 ladies come up to me with...I think 7...carts. THey did no counting at all, just told me "stop us when we get to $800."

(No prizes for guessing how they paid)

And they ended up leaving THREE full carts, at least.
                  Last edited by Tama; 04-09-2011, 06:30 AM.
                  My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Working...
                  X