This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Thought I Escaped Them

So I recently moved to stocking on night crew. I had hoped this would mean I escaped the majority of SCs, and while there are fewer overall (so it's not a constant battle against the desire to choke someone), the ones we do get are extra-special to make up for it. And then there's dealing with the leftovers from day shift...

How much does one stupid act cost?
    A few nights ago I was assigned the baking/cooking aisle, but didn't get to start on it for over an hour. Why? Because sometime during the day, someone dropped a half-gallon carton of milk in that aisle and busted the seam along the bottom. While it didn't burst or splash milk everywhere, it did develop a slow leak. And apparently their solution to this was to just set this leaking carton of milk down on the shelf and wander off.

The sugar shelf, that is.

And since sugar is sold in paper bags, it soaked all that milk right up, leaving a sticky sugar paste coating everything, and a number of bags ruined. How much did that cost us in the end? Well...

5-lb name-brand bags: 4 @ 3.69 = 14.76
    10-lb store-brand bags: 5 @ 5.07 = 25.35
    Half-gallon of organic milk: 3.19

Comes out to $43.30. And $51.60 if you count my pay for the hour the cleanup took.

You can't honestly expect to get this done now...
    At least once every two nights, someone will come into the store and ask if we can run a Western Union for them. Seriously people, it's 2:00 in the morning, at a grocery store. Even if the office was open, if there were any people other than stockers in the building, and if the till was still in the drawer, everyone with training for and access to the Western Union machine left 3-5 hours ago.

Have some sense about what's available
    Another thing you're not getting at 2 in the morning: full service on the checkout lanes. Again, the only people in the store are stockers, plus one person assigned to keep an eye on the SCO. I know what you're thinking.

You think, "Hey, nobody's shopping right now! I can get in and out in about 20 minutes since there won't be any lines!"

Except then you wind up getting nearly $500 in groceries (yeah, we get at least one of those each week in the early morning hours) and throw a fit when you're asked to use the SCO. Bonus points if someone caves and opens a register for you, then you complain about having to bag groceries yourself.

And dipping into Cursing Out Coworkers a bit...
    On that note, something I'd like the usual overnight SCO person to realize. There is absolutely no reason to call three of the five stockers up to run registers. None of the lanes are supposed to be open at night, not to mention three of them, they don't even have tills in them! We just have to hope everyone's paying with cards when we do that, because there's nowhere to put cash or checks, and no way to give change.

Yeah, we had a "regular" walk out and leave a full buggy behind because SCO was too hard for him and nobody else was opening one of the till-less lanes. She's lectured me about offending regulars before. Without fail, every person she's demanded I drop everything and serve on a lane has been short-tempered, entitled, and abusive.

And speaking of entitlement
    And the night before last, around the same time as that last walkout and overnight SCO lady trying to get three lanes open, we had three young people come shopping, all looking about high-school aged. The two girls were loudly carrying on and shouting through the store the whole time they were in there, making messes and being a general nuisance. The guy was so drunk he could barely walk.

So they finally check out, and night SCO lady has J up there helping ring people out (because we had like four at once - yeah, her thing is making sure nobody coming in at night waits in line, ever) when the guy comes up with two bottles of wine. SCO lady tells J to not sell to them because guy is drunk, but for some reason J sells it to the girls anyway. At which point the girls start demanding a manager because they want to complain about how rudely SCO lady treated them. For refusing to sell alcohol to their drunk friend.
    » Horse Words «·» Roleplaying Stuff «

I remember working overnight in a grocery store...some of the worst/special people came out then. Of course there was the one guy who kept trying to trip over his own shoe...

My sympathies.

Comment

I used to work overnight about once a week when I worked in scan. Fortunately my store closes at midnight so customers weren't really a problem. Heck, I've been considering seeing about a transfer to the night crew just so I wouldn't have to deal with the customers as much. At least canned veggies don't complain about the prices or beg you for a discount.
      Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

One thing I liked about coming into a grocery store or even the 24 hr wally-mart was to shop was I didn't have to deal with many mindless sheep crowding the store. If something wasn't in stock I didn't get mad, I just kept on my way.

Was especially great one night a few montsh ago when I couldn't sleep and decided to go shop lol. Most painless shopping experience ever
        "This job would be great if it wasn't for the f***** customers." - Randell 'Clerks'

Comment

The things that 3rd shift sees can turn most people's hair white..or make them bald from pulling their hair out..whichever comes first.

People in bathrobes..and not during Halloween or anything similar...
          ((though I enjoyed this next one..most don't)) A goth female leading a goth male around with a leash...
          Wannabe pimps....
          Zombies..ok not the UNDEAD type, but meh.
          Teenagers making out in the parking lot...
          And that is just a small sample..

3rd shift/late night is ... special. Have you been working on that shift on a full moon yet? If not..you are in for an extra special treat.
          Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
            People in bathrobes..and not during Halloween or anything similar...
            I'd be lying if I said I've never gone to the grocery store in my pajamas. But I've done that at all hours, not just late night. Yes, I'm different. You're point?

Quoth Mytical View Post
            A goth female leading a goth male around with a leash...
            We actually have a homeless couple that does this in town. Little skanky girl leading around this ugly hairy....guy?....on a chain. Very amusing. Very gross.

Quoth Mytical View Post
            Teenagers making out in the parking lot...
            Yes, but when are teenagers NOT making out in the parking lot?

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

Well the female goth in this case was actually attractive. No clue about the guy. Wasn't looking at him.
              Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

I have noticed there doesn't seem to be anywhere near as much stress overnights as there are during the day shift. Sadly, due to the bus' schedule, I have to work days.
                Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

That is generally true, though a lot of the 'heavy lifting' gets done at night as not to disturb the customers. The weird though...it is worse at night. Normally less 'chiefs', less mental stress..but more physical stress and down right strangeness.

Comment

In my experience, night shift is when you will have the least reliable coworkers. There's reason they're on night shift and not involved with the general public after all.

Comment

My brother used to work at night, doing stock at a grocery store. They paid a little more for the night shift as an incentive. He made a lot of good friends on that shift. He said there were some pretty strange people coming in at night...and some of them were his co-workers.
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth NateTheChops View Post
                        In my experience, night shift is when you will have the least reliable coworkers. There's reason they're on night shift and not involved with the general public after all.
                        *head tilt* I'm pretty darn reliable, thanks.

I know, you weren't actually talking about me... I only work mostly nights, with the occasional afternoon shift...
                        "I call murder on that!"

Comment

At the World's only Truckstop, I have great customers (with few outstanding exceptions and one semi-regular Fountain of MisInformation), one super-woderful co-worker, and headaches from the rest. The manager is going through the video logs, and checking everything from store cleanliness to performance: any bets that there won't be a **** thing done?

And our new Sections Pretend-Healthy Quick Food and OverSugaredBreadDough will be open soon, with an exmanager's daughter to run the sections :: sigh ::

Comment

Yeah, I love working at night. Of course, I don't have to deal with customers, just idiot coworkers.

My favorite time to grocery shop is right after work, 7:30 am. That way, all the freakshows from night-time are gone, all the sheep and annoying people are usually not around yet *usually*, and the only people I have to deal with are the stocking employees and the vendors.
                            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Working...
                            X