Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am full of spleen and bile (and foul language)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am full of spleen and bile (and foul language)

Okay, I'll say up front that today's annoyances are nothing compared to what most of you guys deal with, and I shouldn't be bothered, but AUGH they are driving me up the frigging wall and I swear sometimes I'm going to snap and track down and murder somebody if I hear "That's so expensive!" ONE MORE TIME.

So yeah. Last night before going to bed I posted a little journal/blog thingy on a furry gallery site, reminding people that I'm taking plush commissions and that I've got a couple of slots left for large projects this summer. It says that plushes are $x to $yxx, most are around $zxx, blah, blah, blah, and no I don't do adult stuff so don't ask. (Gotta put that in because although as I've said before, 95% of furries are decent, the other 5%... yeah, no.)

This morning I wake up and check the site to see if I got any interest, and there are two comments. Maybe, just maybe, one of them might be somebody wanting to buy? Alas no. One is somebody going "$YXX?! That's so expensive! I could buy $thingy for $YXX! OMG!" The other is somebody going "Adult plush? What is that? Does that mean you do X disgusting thing? Or Y disgusting thing? Tell me all about it!"

To the second person: If you are genuinely curious, ten seconds on google will cure you of that. Possibly it will cure of all curiosity forever, should you be of delicate constitution. If you want somebody to be horrified with you about how disgusting and gross it is, fuck off, I don't give a damn what weird crap people get up to, I just don't want to be involved in any way. And if you want to be titillated by the sexy details, REALLY fuck off, I'm not giving you wank material!

To the first person: I HATE YOU. I HATE YOU SO MUCH I HAVE NO WORDS FOR MY HATRED! Get some fucking manners. Also get a fucking BRAIN. Yes $yxx is a lot of money. It's THE MOST EXPENSIVE SORT OF PLUSH I MAKE for god's sake. It says so RIGHT THERE! They're so big I almost can't ship them overseas* and they're super detailed, and they take me a week's worth of work! It's going to be a lot of money! DUR. If you want a giant plush made from CRAP fabric that will fall apart a month after you get it, that's completely generic and exactly like the billion other plushes they sell at the billion other stores, you can spend thirty bucks at WallMart. If you want a lumpen mess of nasty fleece that will fall apart the DAY you get it you can hire some amateur with delusions of being a crafter. But if you want quality custom giant plush I am the FUCKING cheapest option OUT THERE. BY FAR. So get some fucking class and just pass quietly if that's more money than you have, whining at me about it will NEVER make me lower my prices, it will only piss me off. In fact I might just charge you EXTRA if you ever do actually commission something, for the hassle of putting up with your miserable self. Except that will never happen because you'll never have any money. You'll just keep whining at me forever and ever and ever, and never spend a cent.

*ahem* Yeah. I know I'm getting all worked up over nothing, but I am SO, so, so, so, so, so, so sick of the "That's so expensive!" reaction every time I mention my prices. NO. IT'S. NOT. Not for what you're getting. You CANNOT find what I do cheaper ANYWHERE. RAGE!

Venting feels good. And I actually did get a third message, which did express interest in possibly purchasing, so my day wasn't entirely full of hate.

And now, a bonus WTF, also from yesterday.

I'd uploaded a photo of a plush I just finished to said gallery site. In the description I mention I made it as a trade. So somebody comments saying "You do trades? OMG! That's great! What do you want in trade?"

I respond and explain that mostly I trade for rare things for my collection**, which otherwise I couldn't afford, and also occasionally for quality art that I really like.

"Oh. Well, my art isn't good enough to trade, I know that, and I don't own anything at all except my books that I love too much to give away."

So I explain that there is another option, you can buy something for my collection, and I'll trade for it, and I'm pretty generous about the value, that's still cheaper than commissioning.

"No, I'm completely broke, that's why I was so excited when I saw you do trades."

None of this makes any sense to me! You know your art isn't good enough to trade, and you own nothing you can trade, and yet you were excited when I said I did trades? What exactly did you plan on trading me then? I am just completely baffled by this person. Seriously I am. Maybe I guess they were hoping I'd say "I trade for middle-school level drawings of anatomically dubious dragons"? (That's what their gallery was full of. Nothing wrong with anatomically dubious dragons, I've drawn many in my day, but they're right that it's not something you can trade for a hundred bucks or so worth of custom plush.) I am not annoyed at them at all, just completely puzzled by the whole thing.

*I shipped a plush last week that after my SITTING on it to stuff it into the box was exactly the maximum size to send. If it had been one inch bigger, it wouldn't have gone. And the max shipping sizes via USPS are actually pretty generous. These things are BIG.

**And lest you're sitting there thinking that I collect priceless antiques or fine art, I have to confess that mostly I collect rocks, certain fantasy dragon sculptures, certain Lego, and japanese pokemon plush. I am not highbrow.
    The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself. ~Cicero

See the fuzzy - http://bladespark.livejournal.com/

*offers spark chocolate and beverage of choice*

I know exactly how you feel. I'm glad that my last show of the holiday season is an art show, and they know better then to haggle. I have the problem of dealing with most of these morons face to face and I have to keep my composure.

I recall one year when I was having a lot of people complain about prices and a lady walked up to me and snottily said "$120 for a twin quilt? Are you f*ing retarded?! Who's going to pay that?!" (This was also back when I hand-quilted as well) I was so angry, I wanted to slap her into next week. I just took a deep breath and said. "Yeah well it takes me an ENTIRE month to make a twin size quilt. How much money do you make a month, cause I guarentee it's more then $120."
    https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Frankly your quilts are DIRT cheap. If people weren't so ruined by mass produced junk you'd be able to charge easily twice what you do for them.
      The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Comment

$120 for a twin quilt is LOW. I've seen higher prices than that in catalogs and the stuff was mass produced in China. For a handmade quilt? That's a LOW PRICE.

And that woman used the f-word like that right to your face? Honestly, if I had been you I probably would have snapped something nasty like, "it takes one to know one."
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Yeah I know >.>

Part of that is my own stupid fault*, but actually since I've won awards now, I do feel a little bit justified in slightly higher prices.

And this crazy lady was at the show the first time I was selling quilts. When I first started making quilts I didn't think I was very good, so basically if I bought $12 of supplies, I sold the quilt for $15.

Also I do need to send you an email about another order Spark. Is it too late to order a tail/ear set before Christmas? You do take paypal, right?

*my stupid fault being my self esteem issues, yeah yeah I know, self esteem is my own fault, but I really didn't get off to a good start when my own parents kept telling me I was worthless and stupid and I should kill myself. I'm getting better though, I really am.

Comment

Nope, not too late. Tails and ears only need 2-3 weeks lead time. And yes I do. Do you still have my e-mail, or should I note it to you?

Comment

I've got it thanks, let me get all my info in order and I'll email you.

Comment

will proudly back up sparks up. her work is awesome!
                The several times I wore the set she made me it took some of the damage (some kid came up and yanked on it thinking it was attatched via velcro instead of the loops she made. (awesome to loop a belt through! or chain)
                and the many other kids asking ooh can i touch it? that and I take good care of it before and after, take a soft cloth and wipe the tail down as if brushing it and i have yet to see anything come off from it besides dust.

The custom ears were done very well and I bet she took her time figuring out how to make it work as i asked for bent horns with it which required a different headband.

My favorite part, you size the tail to match a person's body than the actual animal body. So when I wear it, the length works anatomically for me and its not a short tail.
                and if people dun like the price then go elsewhere and learn the lesson you get what you pay for the hard way. not to be rude but oh yeah. totally worth it

Comment

I have a plush from Spark and it's awesome

I'm actually ordering something for my sister, since she's a fan of Spark's work and was jealous that I got something.

Comment

You know, I've seen your plush on FA and it's quite good. And I do know how expensive a custom-made, well-designed plush can set you back. I watch someone on the same site who does the most adorable clay dolls and I'd love one for myself, but I just don't have the money. So, I praise the ones I like and get on with my life.

I get pretty pissed by people who whine excessively on someone's work about the price. You'd think these people would know better.
                    "I am nothing if not an equal opportunity asshole." -Gravekeeper

"F**k you and your tie." -Jester

Comment

Yeah, there are some artists on there who do STUNNING stuff I would love to own! But when I can't afford it, I keep quiet, and just give them compliments. (And I avoid using "OMG I want one!" as a compliment. I know it's meant that way, but it's another pet peeve of mine. It's not really the best way to praise somebody, when you don't ever intend to actually get one.)

Comment

Hubby has been freelancing a lot lately and for every decent job, there are several idiots who act like this. "You want $xx an hour just for WORDS? I can write it on my own!" If you can write your own stuff, why are you looking for a writer? The sad thing is that it's often business owners contacting him.

Comment

Wurdz R Hard.
                          Seshat's self-help guide:
                          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth spark View Post
                            One is somebody going "$YXX?! That's so expensive! I could buy $thingy for $YXX! OMG!"
                            How do they expect you to respond to that?! "Oh, golly, you're so right, I shouldn't be paid for the xx hours I put in making it and the aa quality materials I used. How 'bout I sell it to you for $5?" Um, yeah, right, welcome to reality, SC.
                            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                            My LiveJournal
                            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I watch a couple artists on DA who do plushies and they are absolutely incredible. Some look better than "official" merchandise. And I understand the pricing, but in my head, I even find myself saying, "I'd love that little thingy, but I am flat-bloody-damn-broke." So I compliment the lovely creations without sounding like I'm doing passive-aggressive begging.

People think that since there's some piece of mass-produced shit in WalFart for five bucks, something that is similar in appearance (but far higher quality and custom) should be the same price. "Why should I pay $xx for this doll when I can get one like it for $x at (store)?" Well then why don't you go buy the cheaper one rather than bitching at someone over their prices?

Do these people think if they complain loud enough about prices, they'll get the item for next to nothing or for free like they do when they complain at a retail store? Yeah, sorry for them, there's no corporate office to bitch to for a gift card for the place they Will Never Shop At Again™.

And OMG, love the Pokemon dolls - I love the Flareon.

I do some plush work too (they are not that good), and people just do not realize how much time goes into measuring, cutting, sewing, stuffing, embroidering, beading, gluing and anything else needed for the outfit. I don't have a sewing machine, so it may take me over an hour to measure, cut, sew and stuff a single arm for a plush doll.
                              Last edited by ShadowBall; 04-20-2011, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X