This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, they only exist to serve YOU!

We were closing up the mall tonight when I noticed a person standing near a store, we'll call it 'Blaire's', watching. Turned-out it was a plainclothes manager doing a secret observation of how her store was closed at night; was the gate closed early, was the register counted, were lights turned-off, etc. It was approx. 8:59PM when we watched an ENTIRE family (4 adults, 3 children) amble-on in. The Manager informed me that they have to keep the gate up right until closing time; you get in trouble if they get a report that you closed even a minute early. If the gate's up, you have to take the customer! Then we see one of the adults hoisting a young child into the ear piercing seat. I commented to the manager how inconsiderate it was for these people to come-in for an ear piercing at closing; not to mention I doubt they're going to get their kid to sleep tonight! The manager agreed, and also told me how it would affect the employee's evaluation. I asked was she seriously going to get in trouble for closing late. The Manager informed me that the employee would only get paid for 1/2 hour after closing, at which point any time she went over would be deducted from her hours for the rest of the week! I asked how it could possibly be fair when the employee has no choice but to wait on customers until whenever they decided to leave? The Manager just shrugged and said it's corporate policy. I told her the company's policy stinks for putting employees on the spot like that; they're damned if they do, damned if they don't, and that the corporation should empower the employees more (yeah, I was on a roll). I said that she shouldn't be punished for the unthinking actions of customers, and was what they were making off the piercings even enough to cover the extra electricity. The Manager didn't really have anything to say. By this time it was 9:10PM and the employee had only been able to pierce one ear on the kid because she was thrashing too much to do the second, so the family was roaming the store trying to calm the kid, while the employee stood there wringing her hands. THEN the family starts looking at piercings for the other kids! By 9:30 the employee STILL had not been able to do the 2nd piercing. The Manager then went into the store herself to help (and probably tell the poor employee how she just failed her evaluation) I had to go to the other end of the mall, but when I came back at 10:10PM the employee was JUST turning-out the lights.

If I hadn't been on-duty and representing the mall, I would have torn those parents some new ones! As it was, I made sure to comment loudly to my coworker about how some people just can't tell time and how rude it is to do your shopping at closing when you had 12 hours to get it done!

PS - the kid getting pierced was an infant.
    Last edited by LillFilly; 04-21-2011, 05:56 AM.
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

I don't get why a kid would be thrashing and fussing. I remember when I got my ears pierced...I'd wanted it very badly for a long time, so the last thing I would have done was fuss, and frankly it didn't hurt much at all!

Wasn't that old, either...maybe 5th grade or so.
    "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
    - H. Beam Piper

Comment

Was probably a toddler.
      Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

WOW, just WOW. If for some reason I'm rushing in at the last minute, I know EXACTLY what I need, I have my payment ready, I thank the cashier and leave quickly.

Also, I can take subtle hints of cleaning going on around me. And at which point I should probably go. Went out to eat with an ex and one of her couple friends. They didnt' like how it was 9:45 and they close at 10pm and the staff was putting up the chairs around us.
        I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

Quoth Fire_on_High View Post
          I don't get why a kid would be thrashing and fussing. I remember when I got my ears pierced...I'd wanted it very badly for a long time, so the last thing I would have done was fuss, and frankly it didn't hurt much at all!

Wasn't that old, either...maybe 5th grade or so.
          You probably also REALLY wanted it. These parents are probably just goading their kids into it because THEY like piercings.

Comment

In many places said policy is outright illegal. I hope whomever is responsible for it is punished extremely.

Comment

in those cases, a little note to corporate about their 'damned if you do, damned if you don't,' policy may or may not make a difference, just remember, you have to throw a huge fit when expressing your feelings to make yourself heard.
              look! it's ghengis khan!
              Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

You really shouldn’t get piercing at the mall. The gun is unsanitary and it rips a hole in your ear which makes it more prone to scar when it heals. It is best to get it done at a tattoo place with a needle. It heals faster and cleaner.

Also WTF an infant?

Comment

When I used to work at the pizza place, the management had started the same policy of only paying the Employee's for up to 30 minutes after closing. The first time that it took more then 30 mins to close, all the employees stopped what they working on and started to leave. As they were leaving, the manager demanded everyone finish closing the store, when one of the employees told them, that since they were only getting paid for 30 mins of work after close, they (The Employees) were only going to work for those 30 mins.

The policy was quickly eliminated.

Another Pizza place I worked at briefly, had the same policy, but I wasn't told about it until after spending 2 hours closing the store on night.. Basically giving them an hour and 1/2 of free work. It wasn't to long after that (maybe a week or two) that I decided rather suddenly in the middle of my shift, that I would seek employee at another establishment.
                  Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

Working and not getting paid? Sounds like the local labor board / EEOC / whatever gov't office needs to know. They love things like this - catching a business shorting its workers' hours is a gold star for any bureaucrat!
                    "Them boys ain't zombies! They're just stupid!"

Comment

Quoth HermitIX View Post
                      You really shouldn’t get piercing at the mall. Also WTF an infant?
                      This store chain does a fine job as far as I know; ours has never had any complaints, and I got mine done there - lobe piercings are basic and easy anyway. And people often get their baby's pierced; I think they should wait till they're older, but I guess the parents want them to be able to wear jewelry right away.

Quoth Salesmonkey View Post
                      Working and not getting paid?
                      No she would get paid, but she ended-up working about 40-minutes over her shift, meaning that time will be cut from her next shift to keep her at a certain number of hours per week. So next shift she probably either came-in 40-min late or left 40-early.
                      "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
                        No she would get paid, but she ended-up working about 40-minutes over her shift, meaning that time will be cut from her next shift to keep her at a certain number of hours per week. So next shift she probably either came-in 40-min late or left 40-early.
                        Which still translates to "not getting paid." She actually worked past her quitting time. The company forcing her to cut back somewhere else so it all "evens out" is BS. And having a policy that forces the employees to stay there just because some idiot can't tell time and walks in at closing--then giving them a poor evaluation because they followed company policy--is worse than BS, it's sadistic.
                        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Mooncat is right a thousand times over.
                          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                            giving them a poor evaluation because they followed company policy--is worse than BS, it's sadistic.
                            Sadly, this is the way things are going employers don't really care and forgive me for asking what is the order of importance of store policy.

If i am off the register and my coworker gets more than 2 people in line I am to IMMEDIATELY stop what I am doing and go assit (yes even if by the time I can make it clear across the store they will likely have ZERO people)
                            or
                            If a customer asks for assistance I am IMMEDIATELY supposed to stop what I'm doing and assist.

So I'm assisting a customer in looking for something and 7 people are in line, I'm screwed either way. And don't get me started for the fact I never know when I'm being watched, which is the fun of having a department who has the wonderful job of being paid more than me to sit in a nice office and randomly pull up the store camera and watch me bust my ass. And they don't call us anymore afterward, oh no, they send a letter directly to the DM critiquing the hour or two they watched.... Under the old way, I could at least be prepared to answer questions about stupid crap I did. Now I find out a week later when I'm getting yelled at for leaving scissors BEHIND the register on the counter as they could be used as a weapon. (Believe me the second my life is in danger I'm not grabbing scissors with no handle, the POS is being used as a weapon)
                            I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

Oh Underemployed..you have the same managers as me? The ones who think you can be in two places at one time? Aren't they a joy to work for?
                              Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Working...
                              X