This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redneck Woman

This is a tale of my days at Ye Olde Eckerd pharmacy (I figure since they don’t exist anymore speaking their name wont hurt much). I was a much-abused, much-hassled Drug Associate (yes, my nametag said that) behind the pharmacy counter. As most of you know -or at least can understand-no prescription drugs can be dispensed when the Pharmacist is not behind the counter. So when quittin' time rolled around, they would split. Usually the techs or the other cashier and I would still be counting down our drawers since the customers kept a coming until the last possible second
    On Sundays we closed at 6pm. The store was open until 9. There was only one shift so the Pharmacist hit the deck while we started shutting down. Of course there was a locked gate across the shelves where the drugs were (only the Pharmacist has the keys). In walks customer. I hesitate to call HIM sucky. He requested a prescription. We explained that, as the Pharmacist was gone, we couldn't give it to him- I did tell him why. He said it was birth control pills and asked if we could transfer it to the 24 hour pharmacy across town. We explained that only pharmacists can do transfers. We apologized, gave him the hours of operation and he left, apparently peacefully. Cue the suck. This actually a partial management suck as well. Next day, the wife for whom I assume the Ortho tri cyclin tolled, came in to complain that not only had we treated her husband as if he were a "redneck" but we had lied because there were "people shopping in the store when he showed up". My manager, who called me over to address the situation repeated the latter quote to me in a disbelieving tone of voice, as though she simply could not believe my audacity
    I responded-and was backed up by the tech who was present and the pharmacist from that day, that we closed on time, we quoted policy politely but honestly and yes, there were people shopping in the store-the store was still open, as the manager OF THE STORE should know. (Further, how could his wife know what transpired when she wasn't there?) The manager told me that I needed to be sure to keep the pharmacist from leaving early, ignoring the fact that we all told her he didn't, that time punches showed otherwise, and that I make $6.25 an hour as a cashier, not a bouncer. She then apologized to the woman who said I was now making HER feel like a redneck. My (silent) response? If the shoe fits... *it is worth noting that I apologized to woman and her husband and was very calm while still explaining policy and sticking to my guns. All frustration was in my head.
    Last edited by AquaGirl; 04-21-2011, 05:14 PM.

Got to low spineless managers, anything to keep the customer happy. We have multiple times were to keep someone happy the managers have let people get away with fraud, and how dare ask the police to swing by and check out a suspicious car that been sitting at the pump for 45minutes staring at me without coming in at 2am.
    I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

Apologies and groveling are free. There's a character in Larry Niven's scifi novels named "Speaker to Animals" whose job is to apologize to everybody so his bosses don't have to deal with them. That's often a manager's job. We start by apologizing, because we're hoping that the apology will be sufficient and we won't actually have to pay any money. Because that costs, you know, money.
      "Them boys ain't zombies! They're just stupid!"

Comment

Quoth Salesmonkey View Post
        Apologies and groveling are free. There's a character in Larry Niven's scifi novels named "Speaker to Animals" whose job is to apologize to everybody so his bosses don't have to deal with them. That's often a manager's job. We start by apologizing, because we're hoping that the apology will be sufficient and we won't actually have to pay any money. Because that costs, you know, money.
        I understand the apology but when the woman said ridiculous, unfounded things she could have backed me up while being polite. Just apologizing is not necessarily good for the business. The next time she needed her BC at 6:03 on Sunday night she probably assumed we would be there waiting to kiss her a** ( I can't be sure, I left soon after).

Comment

How does explaining store policy translate to treating someone "like a redneck"?
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
            How does explaining store policy translate to treating someone "like a redneck"?
            ...if only I knew. That's like figuring out the meaning of life.

Comment

That's like figuring out the meaning of life.
              Bacon. Bacon is the meaning of life.

As to the "lady", there's a wonderful alternative to birth control pills that is available at a drug store and without a prescription. It's called "condoms". Please use them. We don't want rude entitlement whores breeding.
              My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Comment

Quoth flybye023 View Post

As to the "lady", there's a wonderful alternative to birth control pills that is available at a drug store and without a prescription. It's called "condoms". Please use them. We don't want rude entitlement whores breeding.

Condoms can occasionally break, and without a backup method...!

At least EW is using BC (though one hopes that she's using it *correctly*!). Indeed, we don't need any more SCs reproducing and spreading their stupid across an already-suffering planet.

As to the other, I must disagree. The true holy trifecta is chocolate, coffee and pizza. (Beer for you non-coffee folks)
                ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

Quoth AquaGirl View Post
                  ...if only I knew. That's like figuring out the meaning of life.
                  -------->42
                  I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                  -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth flybye023 View Post

Some women take birth control as a treatment for medical conditions.

Either way, though, one day hardly spells the end of the world. It should teach her to get to the pharmacy before it closes.

I use a 24 hour pharmacy specifically so I won't have these issues.
                    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Since birth control pills are issued in one-month packets, well, this woman was probably up to here eyebrows in free-floating redneck-inducing hormones, or, as my friend calls them, whore-moans. A whole lotta bitchiness can be attributed to such.

Explains, does not excuse.

NO excuse for spineless store manager.
                      Women can do anything men can.
                      But we don't because lots of it's disgusting.
                      Maxine

Comment

In her defense, the Redneck woman was probably extra cranky since she found out her usual method of BC (that being a mixture of honey, thumb tacks and 'gator dung) wasn't as reliable as her maw had said.
                        "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth Salesmonkey View Post
                          Actually, Speaker-to-Animals was the Kzinti equivalent of a diplomat, it was Hroth that was the official apologizer. (He was able to keep a name with this job function. Speaker only earned the right to a name after returning with the Quantum II Hyperdrive - and ended up being named Chmee.)

Sorry, but I am a Known Space fan.
                          I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Anyone else suddenly thinking about the contraceptive "jelly" episode of House?

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
                              In her defense, the Redneck woman was probably extra cranky since she found out her usual method of BC (that being a mixture of honey, thumb tacks and 'gator dung) wasn't as reliable as her maw had said.
                              You are SO lucky that I had just put down my glass before I got to this...

Comment

Working...
                              X