This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "You're punishing me for sleeping!!"

I just got off the phone with a guy who wanted to know when we closed. When I told him 5:30, I lost even more brain cells than I already had today.

"I've been sleeping all day! Can you stay later?"

I told him I could stay another 5-10, but no more.

"That's no good. I need you to stay until 6. I've had this in my truck since 9am!!"

Stop right there. You were up? You went back to bed instead of bringing up the TV you loaded in your truck and now want ME to sacrifice MY time because you weren't bothered to set an alarm?? What?? NO! Eff off!

I worked night shift for 5 years. If you have something to do during the day, you stay up or you wake up early. I never once demanded that anyone conform to me because my schedule was weird. Effing people.
    "You are beginning to damage my calm."

What an idiot.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Betweenshades View Post
      worked night shift for 5 years. If you have something to do during the day, you stay up or you wake up early. I never once demanded that anyone conform to me because my schedule was weird. Effing people.
      I worked nights for most of my career. I usually found it easier to get to stores during normal business hours . . . because I worked 12s not 8s. Even when I worked 11p-7a, it really wasn't hard to get to a store during normal business hours. Like you say . . . stay up late, or wake up early. You still have 16 other hours in the day.

He's just a lazy sos who didn't want to unload the TV and reload it tomorrow.
      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

As a third shift person myself (going on 8 years..9? Something like that), yeah almost everything is open by the time I get off of work (8am) for those things that are not a couple hours are not going to kill me..either staying up or getting up early.
        Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth Betweenshades View Post
          "That's no good. I need you to stay until 6. I've had this in my truck since 9am!!"
          That's not good? That's no good?

Well FUCK OFF, you overly entitled rhino prick. Just who the fuck do you think you are? Jesus Franklin Christ? I got news for you, pal: you're not the second coming of The Lord, and if you were, you'd be far more understanding and patient of other people, not a raging rectum demanding to get his own way.

Despite being a bartender, I work almost standard business hours (10am-6pm four weekdays, and 10am-4pm + 6pm-9pm one weekday) and yet, if I find I have to get something done during normal business hours, I get that fucking shit done during normal business hours.

Why?

Why?

Because I am not a selfish twat monkey that thinks the universe revolves around the random whims of my scrotum, that's why. And I adjust my schedule, be it waking up or covering a work shift or making time at some point, so that I can get that shit done during the allotted hours. Because I know sure as shit that the electric company is not staying open late for me, nor is the water company opening their days early for me.

Why?

Why?

Because they have a business to run, and (for the most part), they run it professionally, without forcing their employees to tailor their work hours to the random schedule of a ball-sniffing fuckwad.

So, Mr. "That's No Good," it's time to bend over, reach up, pull your head out of your fucking asshole, and join the rest of us in the human race that actually realize that we are not the only ones in existence.

And if you don't see it that way, I encourage you to take up chainsaw juggling after an all-night booze bender at Charlie Sheen's place.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

Yeah, if I need to run anywhere I do so after I get off work. Most stuff is open by then and if not, well I'm up till 10-11 anyway. I don't expect anyone to wait for me while I'm napping. Honestly anything retail can wait till my dads off anyway. My life doesn't depend on any particular consumer electronic in my house. ;p

Comment

heck I work 2d shift (4:30pm-ish to 2am-ish in bed by 4:30am-ish) and still manage to get to stores during the day. yes I wake up early (around 9:30 or 10am) if I need to get something at the store or do errands. yes I will nap in the afternoon before work but still.....
              I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
              -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

A lot of stuff is open by the time I get done with work, but if not, it's not like it's going to be painfully long before 8 or 9 or 10 am.

I'm only worried about when my shift changes to all 12 hour shifts and the hours are going to be much different
                You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I worked night shift for only 9 monthes thankfully, but I managed to go to places during business hours and if I didn't I figured that was MY problem....geez, what an idiot.

Comment

I've been working 3rd shift for the past 4 years or so. I get off at 6:30 a.m. so there really isn't much open by the time I get off. I either have my husband run to the store during the day or I take care of it when I get up (usually somewhere between 2-4), or I just take care of it on my days off. I don't stay up at all when I get home, I go straight to bed, because my husband works 2nd and I need to be well rested to take care of the kids during that time.

Comment

I'll share an observation from Norm Feuti, creator of the "Retail" comic strip and author of "Pretending You Care: The Retail Employee Handbook." This is a paraphrase.

A woman came to the store where he worked just as he was locking up and begged to be let in, using all the "I'll only be a moment" and "I only need one thing" excuses. When he refused, she tried this one: "I can never get down here when you're open! I have to work!"

This confused him. What were this woman's hours? The store was open 87 hours a week. Was she commuting from a 19th century London garment factory?

I work second shift. Even the bank is open until two hours after I wake up. I recognize that if I fail to get there on time, it's on me.

Comment

Assholes like this give the rest of us night-shifters a bad name.

Sure, it can be tough sometimes - but ultimately if you have some integrity and take responsibility for yourself, you deal with it.
                        "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Working...
                        X