This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vocabulary lesson needed

A woman on Uscan was buying a package of bacon that she believed was on sale. However, the one she had was not part of the sale. She yells to me "This bacon should be on sale for $4.49!! It's showing up $6.99!!" I tell her I will get a price check. While waiting for the price check, she shows me the ad for the bacon in the paper telling me that it says assorted varieties and that should mean that all the bacons in the brand are on sale. The manager comes back, brings a bacon that was next to the one she got that which is on sale, and tells her that the bacon she had did not have a sale tag but the one she grabbed is on sale.
    SC: Well the ad in the paper says assorted varieties. Doesn't that mean all types?
    Manager: No, assorted does not mean that *SC cuts her off*
    SC: So what does assorted mean then?
    Manager: Assorted means only certain types. I brought this package which was next to the one you picked up. It is $4.49.
    SC: So that bacon's regular price is $4.49?
    Manager: No, that's the sale price. It's regularly $5.99. Do you want this one?
    SC: No, I don't want any of them!

Long story short, assorted does not mean all!

Bonus short suck: A woman using the Uscan had her purse on the bag scale and it was causing it to mess up.
    Me: Miss, you can't have your bag there.
    Woman: It's not a bag it's a pocketbook!

Is a bag not another name for a pocketbook?

Quoth jjc927 View Post
    Does that mean it doesn't weigh anything?
    !
    "For truth is always strange; stranger than fiction." -- Lord Byron

Comment

Quoth jjc927 View Post
      SC: Well the ad in the paper says assorted varieties. Doesn't that mean all types?
      I lost track of how many times I've had that conversation.
      The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth jjc927 View Post
        Long story short, assorted does not mean all!
        Assorted varieties, select flavors, various types, certain styles....not one of them means ALL. They all mean SOME. As in, whatever the manufacturer or seller decided they would sell for that price.

Hell, there are days I walk into my local grocery store and notice Gatorade is on sale. Hot damn! I drink that shit constantly....oh, wait. Shit. Only various flavors of G2, which I don't drink. Regular Gatorade, not on sale. How do I know this? Because, unlike the customer in the OP, I fucking read!

Quoth jjc927 View Post

It doesn't matter what the fuck you call it, your ugly personal luggage is still screwing up the damn scanner, you empty-headed moron!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
        Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth jjc927 View Post

It depends, I have had to bite my tounge when a guy came in mentioning his "European shoulder bag"..... I'm sorry this is America, we call that a purse, and stress it is a purse when you keep stressing it is a EUROPEAN shoulder bag, like that doesn't make it a purse. Especially with it being made by a well known purse maker, got to love coworkers who point that out.
          I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

Quoth underemployeed View Post
            It depends, I have had to bite my tounge when a guy came in mentioning his "European shoulder bag"..... I'm sorry this is America, we call that a purse, and stress it is a purse when you keep stressing it is a EUROPEAN shoulder bag, like that doesn't make it a purse. Especially with it being made by a well known purse maker, got to love coworkers who point that out.
            Such things are also called man purses or man bags.
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Have any of you read Freeman Hall's book "Retail Hell"? (guy who started the Retail Hell Underground site). Among other things, he tells the story of how he had to learn to call 'em "handbags" instead of "purses."

And on that note....who the heck in 2011 still calls them pocketbooks?
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I call my wallet a pocketbook.....but I keep it in my purse.
                https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                  Have any of you read Freeman Hall's book "Retail Hell"? (guy who started the Retail Hell Underground site). Among other things, he tells the story of how he had to learn to call 'em "handbags" instead of "purses."
                  Because handbags are what stylish, fashion-forward women carry with them, while purses are what frumpy, Tweety bird t-shirt and stirrup-pants wearing women schlep along. Or something.

I could never do his job. What's wrong with purse?
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Now, see, I have a very straightforward approach to the English language.

Pocketbook: mostly made of paper, probably has a faux-leather protective cover. Used for storing information, not objects.

Wallet: a folding item designed primarily for storing credit/debit cards, ID cards and notes. In older usage can refer to the masculine version of a coin purse.

Purse: a very small bag - small enough to fit in pocket - mainly featuring a clipped-shut coin compartment. May also include dedicated compartments for cards and notes.

Handbag: a small feminine bag, commonly carried on a shoulder strap or underarm. May be used to store wallet, purse, pocketbook, toiletries and anything else that a man would probably use pockets for (or not bother).

Shoulder bag: a larger bag, roughly small suitcase sized, with a shoulder strap.

Comment

Murse: Any of the above (save for a wallet), but only when carried by a man who insists that It's Not A Purse.
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
                        Pocketbook: mostly made of paper, probably has a faux-leather protective cover. Used for storing information, not objects.
                        I have literally never heard pocketbook used this way. To me a pocketbook can be any type of purse or handbag, but is usually small, suitable for carrying under one arm or in another bag. It usually has the same functionality as a wallet, but it also holds several small items such as lipstick or tampons.

Quoth Chromatix View Post
                        Purse: a very small bag - small enough to fit in pocket - mainly featuring a clipped-shut coin compartment. May also include dedicated compartments for cards and notes.
                        To me that's a coin-purse, a regular purse is interchangeable with handbag.

I also have another mental category- Bag, which is a catchall term that can apply to anything from a purse to a shoulder bag, but usually applies to things that are too large for a purse, but smaller than a shoulder bag.
                        The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth jjc927 View Post
                          ...Bonus short suck: A woman using the Uscan had her purse on the bag scale and it was causing it to mess up.

OK. Pocketbook, you can't leave your Bag there!
                          "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
                            To me that's a coin-purse, a regular purse is interchangeable with handbag.
                            No, no, no, 'coin purse' is slang for the scrotum...
                            "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                              No, no, no, 'coin purse' is slang for the scrotum...
                              Along the same lines, when I first heard the term "man bag", I'll admit I got the wrong idea as to what it was referring to...

Comment

Working...
                              X