Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gee, I'm sorry I'm not setting you up as a competitor fast enough for you!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gee, I'm sorry I'm not setting you up as a competitor fast enough for you!!!

I have no idea where this goes. The guy isn't a customer, technically he's a competing business. There's not exactly a section for that... (Mods can feel free to move this if there's a better place for it.) But he is definitely sucky. He's turning into the biggest EW I have ever met. Holy crap.

So I hang out on a couple of fursuiting forums. And generally I like playing "wise old mentor" and answering newbie makers' questions about how to go about things. It's good for my ego. But a.) I'm not inclined to answer at all when the question can be solved by a quick google, and b.) I don't check the thing a billion times a day, usually just once or twice, so I'm not usually the first to respond, one of the moderators is, especially when the question is really simple.

Said moderator isn't a maker, just a fan, but he's seriously a serious fan, and he has a VAST library of related links, so when somebody has a question he nearly always steps in first and links to relevant tutorials, past topics about similar questions, etc. Very helpful, imho.

But today this TWITHEAD who I have helped many times, posted saying that he feels it's rude and impersonal for people to link to tutorials, and that questions should be answered personally! That if links must be provided this should be done with warm and friendly "It's so bad that you're stumped, here's something I hope might help you" commentary, instead of just posted without further comment.

And it's particularly rude, says he, that links are always the first response! And really rude to leave links when he can't use them, he's not very good with following tutorials, he needs personal explanations! Because it's a forum, see, and forums are for discussion, not for posting links. (Which is news to me!) Questions on forums should be answered entirely in the forum, without links leading outside it.

So apparently he's not happy that I answer his moronic questions. He wants them answered personally, with lots of fluff and ass-kissing, RIGHT AWAY before the mod can post links to anything else.

I've gone out of my way to be nice to somebody who is, quite literally, taking customers from me. I don't focus on selling through these forums, so I haven't worried too much, but there have definitely been times when I might have gotten a small sale if this fellow hasn't been there first! I've been nice anyhow, and held his hand through a lot of stupid crap, and now that's not good enough, he wants me to be faster? He wants the mods to not jump in with advice that he personally doesn't happen to like? Screw that. I'm done answering his questions, he's on his own.

I used to wonder, when I first started in this business, why the community wasn't more supportive, why my innocent newbie questions never got answered. Now I know. Everybody who was willing to be helpful has been ground down into a state of bitter cynicism by this kind of entitlement whoring.

Edit: I responded to his complaint thread with a more polite version of pretty much what I said up there, that I'd been doing him a favor by answering at all and I didn't really think he had any right to complain, and he replied by PM, not in the thread, with "sorry" and nothing else. Okay, I guess he's sorry. *shrug* I really have no response to that! I hope he said sorry to the mod whose help he was slamming too. :P
    Last edited by spark; 04-24-2011, 03:49 AM.
    The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself. ~Cicero

See the fuzzy - http://bladespark.livejournal.com/

What a turd. I would like all my questions to be answered by pink butterly winged unicorns in a made up language only I can understand too, still waiting... lol

Comment

Quoth spark View Post
      And it's particularly rude, says he, that links are always the first response! And really rude to leave links when he can't use them, he's not very good with following tutorials, he needs personal explanations! Because it's a forum, see, and forums are for discussion, not for posting links. (Which is news to me!) Questions on forums should be answered entirely in the forum, without links leading outside it.
      Wait wait wait...

WHAT?!

This makes no sense. This could make sense if someone was asking to be talked through something on the phone, or shown it in real life, or even guided through something in a realtime chat. But forum responses vary widely, and it can't be considered a responsive medium.

So essentially what he's saying is: "I can't use this text with pictures that's been thought out, formatted and edited. I need DIFFERENT text that's a paraphrased and less precise version without any pictures!"

Or, in other words, he is crying out quite clearly;

"IGNORE ME, I AM A DOUCHE!"
      Check out my webcomic!

Comment

Banhammertime

Comment

Quoth spark View Post
          I used to wonder, when I first started in this business, why the community wasn't more supportive, why my innocent newbie questions never got answered. Now I know. Everybody who was willing to be helpful has been ground down into a state of bitter cynicism by this kind of entitlement whoring.
          Been there, done that. Every so often, I've been in a position wondering, "What just happened?"

I find a good way to deal with it is to keep an attitude of, "I'm not them." It might lead to feelings of superiority, but let's be fair here - reread their posts and try and tell me it's not deserved.

Rapscallion

Comment

One of my Ghostbusters prop sites has a mindbogglingly huge amount of information, and newcomers will tend to get lost in the maze even if they think they know what they're looking for. 9 times out of 10 posting a link to another page will answer somebody's question. A lot of the members are just tired of being asked to rehash an answer that's been given so many times it practically has its own page, so posting links for common questions is the norm unless someone is really new, asking about a member's work or has new information that isn't on a page already.

Some moron went off on everyone when a well-respected user posted a couple links that had his answers, and tried to hide behind Aspergers as an excuse for why he started attacking everyone and demanding personal replies The thread was kept alive for a while to see if he became civil, but once the admin got wind of what exactly was going on, the thread was locked and the guy banned while I was still catching up on the vitriol. Later I found out that he had created a half-dozen sockpuppet accounts to agree with him and slipped up by posting a reply under his main account...oops
            Last edited by Dreamstalker; 04-25-2011, 01:46 PM.
            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
              ...Some moron went off on everyone when a well-respected user posted a couple links that had his answers, and tried to hide behind Aspergers as an excuse...
              You don't have Asperger's, schmuck! You have Ass-Burgers, and yours are about to get chewed!
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Argh! I hate people who pull stuff like that!

I've had people coming to my booth and asking all kinds of detailed questions about my methods just so they can go home and try to quilt themselves.

Now it's one thing to go and buy your own fabric for your quilt to get a discount, I've had people do that before. But to harass the artist into giving up every little tiny secret?

I've started telling people I use pixie dust or I have trained animals helping out with the work.
                https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

I work tech support.

This is why I have a word file full of copy and paste replies. Easily 90% of the time an entire ticket can be resolved by me just copying and pasting stuff just because stuff fails in known, predictable ways, and if you're having a problem you're having problems I've handled hundreds of times before.

There are some people that complain that I'm not hand typing every single response to them, just for them and for no one else. I'm not going to spend time by hand typing out the same thing again and again. Why should I? I'm just going to type the exact same thing. You'll get the same reply either way, its just if you want me to hand type everything you're going to have to wait like 2 weeks for the reply due to everyone else in line ahead of you getting hand typed replies.

Comment

Quoth spark View Post
                    But today this TWITHEAD who I have helped many times, posted saying that he feels it's rude and impersonal for people to link to tutorials, and that questions should be answered personally! That if links must be provided this should be done with warm and friendly "It's so bad that you're stumped, here's something I hope might help you" commentary, instead of just posted without further comment.
                    Some noob tried to dictate the rules on someone else's site? Oh, hell no!

We had one try to pull that here on CS a few years ago. Someone had posted a "sucky employee" story, which as must of us know is allowed. This idiot posted a reply slamming the OP, telling him that "this site is for venting about sucky customers only." Well, that pissed me off. I not-so-politely asked him just who he was, as he wasn't a moderator, and wasn't even a member for very long. I went on to point out that we do allow our members to vent about sucky employees as well as sucky customers, and that if he thinks he sees an inappropriate post, to use the report button and "leave the moderating those who are appointed to do so."

Needless to say, he wasn't very popular. Thankfully, very few of the members, if any, flamed him, because I'd hate to have to come down on someone who attacked that idiot. Most people simply ignored him, and it wasn't long before he stopped posting.

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                    Some moron went off on everyone when a well-respected user posted a couple links that had his answers, and tried to hide behind Aspergers as an excuse for why he started attacking everyone and demanding personal replies The thread was kept alive for a while to see if he became civil, but once the admin got wind of what exactly was going on, the thread was locked and the guy banned while I was still catching up on the vitriol. Later I found out that he had created a half-dozen sockpuppet accounts to agree with him and slipped up by posting a reply under his main account...oops
                    Something like that happened on another board I used to frequent. We had a few idiots on there who used to like to try to start trouble, and for some reason the owner chose not to do anything about it. There were two in particular, who just seemed to be posting the same old crap, and I started to suspect that they were the same person. However, I wasn't a moderator on that board (the owner didn't appoint any), so I had no way to know for sure.

Then one day, I posted something in response to "Idiot 1", and "Idiot 2" replied to it, and I knew. I replied back, "Why are you replying to this, Idiot 2? My rely was in response to Idiot 1. That doesn't even make sense. Unless it's as I've suspected for awhile, and you're both the same person."

A bunch of the other members joined me in ridiculing the idiot(s), and they slinked away with their tail between their legs shortly after.
                    Sometimes life is altered.
                    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                    Uneasy with confrontation.
                    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

You don't like the answers I give you? Well, fuck you. How about I don't give you any answers at all? You wouldn't like that, would you? Well, fuck you anyway, you demanding little prick. See how helpful we are to you the next time you ask for help. My guess: not very.

Douche.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                      Still A Customer."

Comment

If he can't understand the links will his work be any good?

Comment

Well, he's only made tails so far, which honestly a monkey could make a decent tail. I taught a "class" of 5 and 6 year olds how to sew tails and they turned out fine product, it's NOT hard. (It's cheaper, if you just want one, to buy from me anyhow, because of how materials costs scale, but if you're going to have even just two in the same palette of colors, you might as well learn to make your own, because they're seriously dead easy.)

I've currently deleted my bookmarks and stopped checking both fursuiting forums I used to frequent. Immediately after this guy, there were two threads where the same mod responded to somebody's question with "I don't know, but I'm sure spark will help you" which no, sorry. You do not get to tell people that I'm going to help them. My helping is a favor which I do when I feel like it, it is NOT a duty as a forum member, or any such thing. And the other forum had somebody linking to a troll/drama site that exists solely to mock artists, and saying that nobody should buy from me because my stuff was on the site. I didn't even follow the link, I don't want to see that crap. (And the mods there think that kind of thing is just hilarious, they won't do anything about it.) So I guess this here is my forum home for the time being. You guys and the My Little Pony forum anyhow. The MLP forum is a little bit too happy-fluffy-rainbows for me sometimes, but at least nobody there will be slamming my business or implying I'm obligated to give assistance to noobs. You guys don't seem inclined towards any of those either.
                          The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Quoth spark View Post
                            I've currently deleted my bookmarks and stopped checking both fursuiting forums I used to frequent.
                            Awww.

I'd probably have enjoyed browsing that collection of bookmarks.

Oh well! At least I know someone who can make me things when I want (and can afford) them!
                            Seshat's self-help guide:
                            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Eh. The one was okay, I'll probably go back eventually, despite the mod being a bit clueless and the other members occasional entitlement. There's a few decent folks there. The other I was only there for the money, and if I have to deal with getting trolled by people trying to ruin my business for no better reason than that they can, it's not worth bothering with.

Comment

Working...
                              X