This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax Weekend fun (long)

Well another tax season has passed and it was truly a long one.

Friday:

No ma'am we can't file based on a pay slip:

A young lady came in and seriously (or a least with a straight face) asked about filing with that alone. I told her and she was not pleased. I explained that the most that I could do would be to file an extension, which would make her deadline October. She then asked about downloading her W2. My reply, yes that can be done, but not without the code number for the employing organization and the personal identifying number assigned to her. (Side note: You have hoops to jump through even with that info--just ask my niece.) I filled out and addressed her extension.

Saturday:

A couple with an unusually low withholding. They were genuinely surprised that they ended up owing. I grasped all the straws, I could to make that less likely, but there are limits.

As I like to be thorough I asked the next couple about losses from a fire. The Mrs. tore into me about the insurance denying their claim on hypertechnical grounds and losing $50k worth of furnishings and electronics. Her spouse, calmly (and matter of factly), informed me that I struck a nerve (You think!?). I informed them that they would have another year to file an amended return which reflects those losses--they would need to bring in some documentation.

Another couple whose return I worked a month earlier came in with a question. The wife's sister married a guy with some baggage, specifically a child support debt from an earlier relation. Way to pick them (extreme sarcasm!). Anyway their (the in-laws) refund was (unsurprisingly) intercepted to pay his child support debt--what recourse does she have? I told them about innocent spouse relief and printed out the forms and publications.

The wife's response: "Now that bum will be paying his own debts, ha ha." She then excused herself to the bathroom in back.

I asked the husband "Why do I get the feeling that I just gave Darth Vader his lightsaber?"

He replied, "That's about right."

Sunday:

Nothing for 3 hours and then:

A couple with a home buyer credit. Which has to be printed out and prepped for mailing. Wouldn't you know it: They left the docs behind.

A lady came in with a purse bigger than my carry on bag. Her purse (which was about the size of my carry-on bag) was stuffed with charity and medical receipts. Further complicating matters, she's a nurse and I had to verify whether the Red Cross receipt was a donation or a seminar fee. I spent almost two hours totaling up her stuff. At least she was friendly about it--especially when I got her almost $20k in combined federal and state refunds.

Next was a lady with not much less medical receipts and a new business startup--at least she was prepared.

Needless to say, I got home late that day.

Monday (Tax day):

I had just finished a return for a guy who did not come in prepared. He had to dig for all his work expenses and had to call bank customer service for the routing number.

After Mr. Organized (extreme sarcasm) signed his paperwork and left, I got a call from a lady about her file. She gave her name and SSN. I looked up her file and remembered. She had 8 count them 8 W-2G's, statements of gambling winning.

For those who don't know, US regulations require that form for a payout of over $1200, but withholding is not required--needless to say the IRS does get a copy of this form.

When I worked her return a month and a half earlier, I grilled her about losses against these winnings (she would be owing thousands otherwise). Apparently, she took each batch of winnings and ended up with a net loss of a thousand or more (taking her claims at face value). She was not satisfied with the amount of her refund (Mrs. TGK & I would be glad not to owe, but that's just us.), so she took her docs and left. In the call, she demanded that we recover her file. She asked about the refund and preparation fee. She screamed, "I HAVE TO PAY YOU HOW MUCH?!!" $X "I GET BACK HOW MUCH?!?!" $2X. Needless to say, she found someone else to do her return. Just as well, I don't need the exposure.

Another tax season come and gone...at long last
    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Ive worked in a job where people would often call me and complain about bills and how much they had to pay... not that they often payed.

I cannot imagine the amount of suck you have to deal with if these same people came to you to try and get money.

Comment

Geez there's a whole year between one April 15 and the next. Come on you people out there, get your shit together!!

Especially that first one without her W2. When that document lands on my desk, I plan on going to the tax preparer the same day. That's because I've already tucked the other relevant stuff into my purse. Our payroll dept puts out the W2's around the same week every year, so I've learned to anticipate getting it and be ready for it.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I just started a new file box for next year... Since work screwed up a couple things I'm going to have a LOT to claim in medical and dangit I want every cent coming.

Comment

This is why I am so glad I have a simple return. Single, no attachments...I can just plug my numbers into QuickTax and be on my way.
          My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
            I just started a new file box for next year... dangit I want every cent coming.
            We did the same already. Mrs. TGK is doing a wardrobe purge and we're doing a mortgage re-fi.
            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
              Geez there's a whole year between one April 15 and the next. Come on you people out there, get your shit together!!

Especially that first one without her W2. When that document lands on my desk, I plan on going to the tax preparer the same day. That's because I've already tucked the other relevant stuff into my purse. Our payroll dept puts out the W2's around the same week every year, so I've learned to anticipate getting it and be ready for it.
              I'm like that too. I wish to hell my bf was organized about these things but alas he's not. I kept reminding him about tax day coming up and he kept saying "yeah I'll get to it" an it comes and goes without him filing, and just ignoring it as usual. He hasn't filed in 6 or 7 years according to him..... I told him that's gonna catch up to him at some point in time, although in what manner I do not know. He doesn't own anything besides a motorcycle and a van.

He just kept being a jerk and saying he didn't want to talk to about it cause it was stressing him out....ya THINK? He ignores everything that needs to be dealt with and handled, it ends up just sitting there with him doing nothing. Drives me freaking crazy.
              https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
              Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
                He hasn't filed in 6 or 7 years according to him..... I told him that's gonna catch up to him at some point in time, although in what manner I do not know. He doesn't own anything besides a motorcycle and a van.
                is right. OMG doesn't he know not filing is criminal?!? The most likely reason he hasn't heard from the IRS already is because they ran numbers that suggest that he did not have a balance due for those years--which means that he pissed away money to which he was entitled. He'll be sporting bracelets, sooner or later if he keeps this up.
                Drag him by the ears,if necessary (yes Mods, I mean figuratively) with his docs to a tax preparer ASAP. You may have to make an appointment--make sure they understand that your BF is coming in from the cold (as we call it in the trade).
                The IRS is merciful if he comes to them rather than vice-versa. Believe me, he would rather deal with their collections branch than their criminal branch.

There is a way to obtain his old W-2's and 1099's if need be. You can PM me with any questions.

Who is John Galt?

Comment

I did pm you thanks. I just know if I tried to tell him that's he's gonna get arrested if he keeps ignoring it he'll just cut me off and tell me he doesn't want to stress.

I can't get through to him.

Comment

Telecom,

My dad is the same way. He'll bitch and moan about how the world is screwing him over and he'd too busy to worry about filing taxes.

Last I heard he's bitching and moaning about how the IRS tracked him down at his job and he's having to pay off something in the neighborhood of $20,000 in fees and penalties.
                    https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Quoth Kanalah View Post
                      Telecom,

My dad is the same way. He'll bitch and moan about how the world is screwing him over and he'd too busy to worry about filing taxes.

Last I heard he's bitching and moaning about how the IRS tracked him down at his job and he's having to pay off something in the neighborhood of $20,000 in fees and penalties.
                      Holy shit.....how long did he go without filing? I don't think my bf will owe that much thank fuck.....but what you said above about bitching about the world screwing him over and he's too busy to worry about taxes, that's exactly like my bf. Oh and don't forget it causes "stress" to even think about it. He refuses to act like a responsible adult in normal society.

Comment

As I can recall it was something like 3 or 4 years. He has depression and arthritis and self medicates with questionable substances quite a bit. I also don't think he fills out his paperwork with his job propery for the right deductions.

Responsible adult, hah! My dad was raised that all a man "needs" to do is go to work and come home. After the divorce, guess who was roped into doing all the cooking and cleaning for him? It took about 7 years but I finally was able to get him to keep house by himself.....sortof.
                        https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Quoth Kanalah View Post
                          Responsible adult, hah! My dad was raised that all a man "needs" to do is go to work and come home. After the divorce, guess who was roped into doing all the cooking and cleaning for him? It took about 7 years but I finally was able to get him to keep house by himself.....sortof.
                          Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I think my bf feels that way too...he works so therefore that's enough. Yeah my house would fall apart if it wasn't for me keeping it up....but that's another topic

Anyway I have to steel myself to bring up the tax thing with him cause every time I try to talk about it he shuts me out and I can't get anything said to him. He doesn't want to "stress" thinking about it.

If he ends up going to jail cause he doesn't want to do anything I hope he doesn't stress out too bad in the cell!

He never thinks long term ever.

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
                            He doesn't want to "stress" thinking about it.
                            Maybe you should ask him why it's ok for him to make stress for you by ignoring it?

Plus, if he does it, then the "stress" will be totally gone until next year instead of coming up over and over and over again.

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Oh, for the Senior Partners' sake...

Filing now = stress but only for a few weeks at most.

Filing 2878728724 days later = Your ass is getting reamed by the IRS. Like those people on tv that say WE OWED THE IRS $3 MILLION! AND WE SETTLED!! It could be avoided. Pay now, and you don't have to pay later with interest, penalties, and so forth.

Hrm, which do I prefer...
                              Last edited by Tama; 04-28-2011, 07:19 PM.
                              My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Working...
                              X