This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antagonistic Candy

A guy comes in and asks if we repair DVD players. This is a fairly common occurrence as the people who used to be here repaired all electronics.

We told him we didn't and he got all kinds of pissy with CW about it. On a side note, it always kills me when people get mad at us for this- we don't have the tools or the skillset! But, I digress...

After I had enough of hearing his snide remarks (I'm in another room just off the showroom where no one can see me ), I go out to the showroom and act like I need to talk to CW. He says 1-2 more smart ass things and starts to leave.

Then, he turns around, picks up the small bowl of candy we have out and dumps it in his pocket.

*sigh*

Those bags of Starlight Mints are like a buck a bag, so it's hardly about cost. It's like the people who eat all of the appetizers without sharing when at a party. It's just rude! And spiteful, in this case!
    "You are beginning to damage my calm."

Why would anybody want to repair a DVD player? Fixing any possible problem is going to cost more than just buying a new one. A Blu-Ray player, maybe, if it was a really good one, but not a DVD player.

Comment

I guess he thought it was a punish-mint?

Comment

Quoth TheSnakeLady View Post

*headdesk*

And so it begins. :P

Quoth sirwired View Post
        Why would anybody want to repair a DVD player? Fixing any possible problem is going to cost more than just buying a new one. A Blu-Ray player, maybe, if it was a really good one, but not a DVD player.
        Dude. We get people in here about VCRs and CD Players. Last week I had a guy with a boom box from the 90's, complete with dual tape decks.

So, yes- I agree LOL

Comment

a childish revenge move: -10 on the cool scale

"i tooked your candies, SO THERE."

dvd player repair...dude, as everyone stated, spend the $50 and get a new one with shinier features.
          look! it's ghengis khan!
          Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth Betweenshades View Post
            Dude. We get people in here about VCRs and CD Players. Last week I had a guy with a boom box from the 90's, complete with dual tape decks.
            I don't even know where you'd get something like that fixed. I know when the old Garrard tape deck in my workshop fails...I'm not going to bother with it. The LCD screen is already cracked, and one of the 'decks doesn't work. There's simply no point in getting that device fixed. Sure it'll suck, since part of my music collection is old enough that it *never* came on disc, but I'll find a way around that. I'll probably get one of those in-computer tape decks, pull off what I can, and then drop the tapes off at the church junk sale.
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth TheSnakeLady View Post
              Certs-ainly.

Threads like this are a real Life Saver.

Comment

Quoth Betweenshades View Post
                ... And so it begins. :P
                And *** spake, and saith: "In the big inning... let there be baseball."
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth sirwired View Post
                  Wasteful to throw out an entirely working unit when only one part of it fails.

But yeah sometimes the cost of labour does outweigh the cost of the item. Unfortunately.
                  Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!

Comment

I hate to throw anything out too, but sometimes you just have to let go. I usually just try to find a place that will recycle them instead of dumping them in the trash. I have 3 old cordless phones I'm trying to find a place for them to be recycled.
                    Is it really SO hard to listen to the prompts?

Comment

I usually just dismantle them so I can make artsy stuff out of the bits, not to mention see what's on the inside. Hard drive platters are neat.
                      "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                      - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

I usually tell folks that it costs more to fix the things than to buy a new one. Very rarely do I get an argument about that. Still, it was a sad day for me when I brought my old, beloved Sharp dual tape deck boombox into my favorite hometown electronics shop for repairs only to find the proprietor had retired from fixing things for medical reasons (arthritis). I plan to finally replace the old beast this year, hopefully with another long-lived Sharp.
                        "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

I'd have told him "Sorry, douchebag, those mints are for PAYING customers. You're not a paying customer. Return them or we'll call police and report you for petty theft."
                          Fixing problems... one broken customer at a time.

Comment

Quoth Mike Taylor View Post
                            I usually tell folks that it costs more to fix the things than to buy a new one. Very rarely do I get an argument about that.
                            I get it all. Most people don't argue, but those people who bring in those 20-year-old electronics for repair are usually the arguing type.

Comment

I just moved recently and did a purge of a lot of old electronics. Managed to give away 2 old computers, an old CRT monitor, a working VCR and (surprisingly) a Logitech speaker system which had been replaced (Logitech just sent me the replacement for the entire set for the controller, when the original had a speaker output stop working). Guy who got the speakers figured out how to bypass the controller and get the speaker working and loves it.

Comment

Working...
                              X