This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You no longer have any right to complain

This is a message to all the whiney people I have dealt with over the past few months.

You phoned, you e-mailed and you even came into the school itself to complain about how we did not offer enough evening classes. I understand your frustration. In this current climate, it is very difficult finding tutors who wish to commit to a weekly class. Most of them are saving money, and do not wish to pay the money to hire out a classroom.

You carried on calling, emailing and visiting, whining and saying the word "ridiculous" several times when I informed you that I still had not found anymore tutors.

"You HAVE to provide some adult learning! What kind of place is this?!"

Yes, it is true. We do advertise that we have adult learning classes, but like I said, we cannot find the tutors! I am trying my best to get some new classes up and running, but it is very difficult and slow work. What do you want me to do?

A few weeks later...

Wow! I have found a tutor! Someone who is interested in running a brand new evening class! A cookery class! Great! It is the second most common class we are asked for (behind computing). This is sure to be a success!

So let's promote this fantastic class! A letter home with each child, a letter for each of the staff, several leaflets in the main reception, posters put up in all the local shops, an ad in the newspaper and any leftovers go through people's letterboxes, as well as informing people when they call, e-mail and visit.

"Wow! That's great!" They say.
    "I can't wait! I will definately attend!" They cry.
    "At last! You have a new class for adults! It's about time!"

You fucking liars

How many people turn up to our brand new class they have been whining for so badly?

ZERO!

That's right. Not one. It cannot be a pricing issue, because the first session was freaking free!

The class is now cancelled. For some reason, the tutor believes it is pointless to run a class with no students.

I cannot wait until someone complains that "we do not offer" enough courses.

At least now you have the perfect rebuttal.

"We did. No one showed up, so it was cancelled."

Comment

Quoth Raveni View Post
      At least now you have the perfect rebuttal.

Exactly. All that complaining and no one showed up? I'd very much say why there aren't any evening classes without regret.
      "You are beginning to damage my calm."

Comment

This situation is really sad, and even sadder that the people complaining just don't seem to understand that THEY are a huge part of the problem!!!
        "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Heh.

You just reminded me to check (again) whether our local adult-learning place has an Auslan course. (Auslan - Australian Sign Language)

No, they don't yet. I may end up organising one myself.
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Convince the teacher to give it another go, but charge for the first lesson - with a down payment. Once the class hits reasonable numbers to make it worth its while, let everyone know when it'll be.

If they don't make it, they don't get their down payment back. People will show up far more often for things they've actually spent money on.

Comment

Glad to know it's not just me. As part of a study I'm doing, there's an interventional family psychoeducation class, free of charge. Everyone seems really enthusiastic, we even provide pizza and drinks at no charge. Yet.. no one shows.
              I will never go to school!

Comment

Free pizza and drinks? And nobody shows up? That is odd.
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                  That is odd.
                  That's just wrong.
                  Unseen but seeing
                  oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                  There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                  3rd shift needs love, too
                  RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Something similar happened at a local college.
                    People were complaining that there were no evening classes of Italian for beginners (French, German and Intermediate and Advanced Italian were and are running). The college collected about 50 expressions of interest. They interviewed possible tutors (and picked me, yay me). Courses don't start with less than 18 people, though. Guess how many did actually apply? Yep: one.
                    FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

You're not a unique snowflake unless you create your own mould (Raps)

***GK, Sarcastro, Lupo, LingualMonkey, BookBint, Jester, Irv, Hero & Marlowe fan***

Comment

I'm going through that now.

I run a community center, with computers, high-speed access, access for laptops, free printing...in a rural area, you would think that the place would be crowded, right?

With a lot of work, advanced advertising, and an open house before opening, it's been over a year. The average visit, even with continued advertising? 3 per day.

At this rate, I've been told after the contract's over next year, the center will be closed.

Comment

Quoth Raveni View Post
                        Unfortunately that's like saying you have the perfect sentence to shut a troll up.

People are going to duck their responsibility like a prize fighter.

Comment

RichS : has anyone studied demographics? If it's rural, I'd assume agriculture, retirement area or low-er education.

Depending on which flavor, and which age group - can you tune classes to that? Say - Basic Windows Use.
                          Basic Computer Part and Explanations - Hardware and How it works
                          Basic Wireless Questions
                          Basic Office Use
                          Email Beginners
                          Office Intermediates
                          In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                          She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Quoth Der Cute View Post
                            RichS : has anyone studied demographics? If it's rural, I'd assume agriculture, retirement area or low-er education.

Depending on which flavor, and which age group - can you tune classes to that?
                            As far as demographics, it's mostly agricultural. I'd like to do classes, but time is what I don't have - full load at college, plus two jobs and family is taking all of it right now.

Comment

Wait, a FREE cooking class? Dang it where do I sign up?! I can burn water..no skill at cooking anything but a pizza (for some reason I can do very well at that one thing..weird).
                              Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Working...
                              X