X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And For My Next Trick...

This was a new one.

As many of you know, I am a magician. Every Wednesday, I do magic at a local toy shop during the day (they have a magic shop and different magicians performing almost every day) and at a local restaurant at night. For the restaurant gig, I dress very professionally, i.e., dress slacks, dress shoes, dress shirt, sometimes even a tie.

Now, I often get confused for a manager, but as I've been telling customers for years, "I dress better than the managers." Which is not an insult to the managers--if you worked as a restaurant manager, with all the possible situations you may find yourself in, would YOU wear your nicer stuff to work? Right. Didn't think so.

So, last week I was doing the restaurant gig, and at one point was simply chatting with a table of regulars. Admittedly, I might have looked like a manager, as I wasn't flinging cards at that exact moment. A very angry-looking older man comes up to me and asks, "Are you the manager?" I answered, quite truthfully, "No, sir. I'm the magician. I'm just the entertainment here." And he started to walk away, looking pissed off. As I try to help out the restaurant staff as much as possible, I broke away from the regulars and approached the angry guy. "Sir, is there something I can help you with?"

HIM: "I've been sitting here for a while now and haven't been waited on."
    ME: "Where are you sitting, sir?"
    HIM: (indicates the table he's seated at)
    ME: "I'll get the manager and your server, sir."

He returns to his seat, and I spring into action, identifying the server, alerting her to the issue, and also alerting the manager on duty to the situation. As always, going above and beyond in my duties as a mere entertainer. (Not being arrogant here--I've been known to bus tables and help run food in magical down times, neither of which are in my job description as a magician.)

So the server, one of the restaurant's best, heads off to get this guy settled down and settled in, and after finishing up with whatever other situation he was dealing with, the MOD head off to talk to the table. Here is part of the conversation he had with the angry man, as he related to me later.

AM: "And that manager in the blue shirt walked by me three times and didn't even say a word."
    MOD: "Sir, Jester is not a manager here. He is our magician, and he comes in every Wednesday to entertain people."
    AM: "Well, he shouldn't dress like a manager!"

Cue laughter.

Right. I shouldn't dress like a manager.

Well, what exactly SHOULD I dress like? Bozo the clown? A beach bum? Would it be better for this old fart if I were in ripped jeans and a Megadeath shirt? A top hat and a cape? Seriously, what the flying fuck?

I've been doing magic at this restaurant, through two different "tours of duty" (2000-2004 & 2009-present) for over six years. Other than special events like Fantasy Fest, I have always dressed in the business professional style. And while I have often been confused for a manager, I have never, not once, not EVER, had anyone say, to me or anyone else (that I know of) that I should not dress in that manner. It looks good, it looks professional, and it conveys a certain professional air to my act.

But I guess to this guy I should be pulling a fucking rabbit out of a Dastardly Villain-type top hat, or be in a cheesy powder blue tuxedo or some such.

Well, Angry Old Man, I have some magical words for you. They're not "hocus pocus." They're not "abracadabra." They're not even "Hey, Ma, watch this!"

They're "Shut the fuck up and go fuck yourself, you overly entitled angry little piece of shit toad of a man! I'll dress however the fuck I want to dress, and out of thousands of people, both good and bad, you are the only one in the last fucking decade to have any fucking problem with it. I hope a rabbit sodomizes you with a fucking magic wand, asshole!"

Ta da!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Quoth Jester View Post
    I hope a rabbit sodomizes you with a fucking magic wand, asshole!"

Ta da!
    Why give the rabbid a scare?

Comment

Rabbits are evil, and would enjoy such a thing.

Still A Customer."

Comment

I think I remember one of your fangirls suggesting how you should dress as a magician. Hint: you shouldn't.
        To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

I'm shocked and disappointed that you are not wearing your uniform. You know, a long robe and a pointed hat with stars on it.

Rabbits are perverts. I should know, me and my sister had three of them. One time, a friend of mine laid down on the floor to stretch his back and a rabbit ran up and fucked his head.

Comment

Harry Potter, Gandalf, and Merlin can all kiss my ass.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
              Well, Angry Old Man, I have some magical words for you.
              They're "Shut the fuck up and go fuck yourself, you overly entitled angry little piece of shit toad of a man! I'll dress however the fuck I want to dress, and out of thousands of people, both good and bad, you are the only one in the last fucking decade to have any fucking problem with it. I hope a rabbit sodomizes you with a fucking magic wand, asshole!"
              I like your kind of magic.
              FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

You're not a unique snowflake unless you create your own mould (Raps)

***GK, Sarcastro, Lupo, LingualMonkey, BookBint, Jester, Irv, Hero & Marlowe fan***

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                I used to have that same fantasy! lol!
                "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
                  I used to have that same fantasy! lol!
                  All at the same time?
                  The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                    I'm shocked and disappointed that you are not wearing your uniform. You know, a long robe and a pointed hat with stars on it.

Rabbits are perverts. I should know, me and my sister had three of them. One time, a friend of mine laid down on the floor to stretch his back and a rabbit ran up and fucked his head.
                    That's a wizard,magicians wear top hats & capes,so that's your problem Jester
                    "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

"...and for my next trick, I'll make this entitled asshole disappear!! hocus POCUS!"(pooofffsshhhwweeehhhh).. (cue trumpets along with staff and audience cheering)

Comment

True, Freddie, but I would think the pointed hat would definitely keep the head fucking down to a manageable level.

Maybe that's why they wear them. Who knows why wizards do what they do?

Comment

*snickers*

Count on Jester to come up with something more original than the usual magician-themed solutions to SCs, such as sawing them in half or making them disappear in a puff of smoke!

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                            What about Rincewind?

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                              You know, a long robe and a pointed hat with stars on it.
                              I have an outfit lke that (blue/purple with gold stars and trim). I made it myself and wear it for costume parties.

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                              What about Rincewind?

^-.-^
                              Rincewind? Now I need to watch "The Color of Magic" again.
                              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                              X