Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny, when I hear the name Romero, I think of zombies!

A little more on-topic, it isn't just the racist attitude that is hard to understand in this day and age, but that they would think that any random stranger, much less an employee of that person, would share that view!

Comment

And consider if you will one of the most famous Romeros Born in NY.
      And don't forget Cesar Romero, also born in NY (Cuban-American).

Quoth PatchO'Black View Post

A little more on-topic, it isn't just the racist attitude that is hard to understand in this day and age, but that they would think that any random stranger, much less an employee of that person, would share that view!
      I hate this, too. I get people on the phone who want me to tell them how to get around the equal-housing laws (they want to word their apartment-for-rent ad to "keep out those people"). Or they use racist terms like "jew me down". I hate that these idiots assume I'm white (I am but they have no way of knowing for sure) and that I share their bigotry, or at least it must be OK to talk that way to me.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth C. Cecil Ivanish View Post
        As an Italian I can't think of any Romero...
        OK, I was wrong. Here it says that there are 5,587 families with that last name in Italy. None I have been in contact with, I guess.
        Oh well.
        Yes, I am still posting this even if I proved myself wrong
        Quoth PatchO'Black View Post

And now it just dawned (pardon the pun) on me. There's a town early in the first Breath of Fire where the citizens turn into zombies. The name? Romero. I just now caught the connection.
        To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
          SC: Ah, a beaner.
          Me: Excuse me?
          SC: Your manager's a beaner.
          A beaner? Is that someone from Beantown?
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
            A beaner? Is that someone from Beantown?
            I was going to make a comment like that, but you beat me to it.
            Low lie the Fields of Athenry/ Where once we watched the small free birds fly/ Our love was on the wing/ we had dreams and songs to sing/ It's so lonely around the Fields of Athenry

Comment

Argus - thanks. ^_^ If I read it right, it's more or less what happens, it's just no longer automatic citizenship, and requires a much longer time and actual qualifications...

Maybe I was thinking about the "babies born on US soil are citizens" thing...? Or does that even apply these days?
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

A few years ago, one friend of mine was deported to the UK for no readily-apparent reason, even though his wife is a US citizen. The judge responsible didn't think that was a big deal, because the judge was certain they could easily afford airfare to spend weekends together. She ended up moving to the UK to be reunited with him.
                Quoth EricKei View Post
                Maybe I was thinking about the "babies born on US soil are citizens" thing...? Or does that even apply these days?
                Since 1868, the supreme law of the land has included "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside."
                Last edited by Argus; 05-15-2011, 02:27 AM.

Comment

It occurred to me that I probably should have linked to something a bit more official than Wikipedia.

supreme law of the land
                  Amendment XIV

Comment

"Actually, sir, it was originally Romerovich. His grandfather shortened the name when he immigrated from Russia 90 years ago..."

Sure it's bullshit. Who cares.

Comment

Working...
                    X