• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do it my way and do it now!!!!

Oh goody, another story so soon!

Me-the poor designer that is gonna end up in the looney bin
    PM-psycho...er...I mean pageant mama

PM-I was wondering if you could make me a dress like this in a size 2T(sends a pic of a very popular designers dress that would have cost around 3000 or more)

Me-well I can do something similar but I do not copy other designers work.

PM-I saw this dress at a pageant and I really want it and the mom would not sell it to me. I need one exactly like it.

Me-I am sorry but I do not copy and I do not know any other designer that would. That is made by (name) and everyone knows her work. I am not going to possibly get in trouble for that, and I don't want anyone copying me so I do not copy either.

PM-well can you just make it another color but the same design

me-no, I can do another color and a similar design but I DO NOT COPY

we go back and forth and she finally settles on a design I drew out that is similar but not enough to be mistaken for the other dress. I let her know the price and that it will be 7-10 days.

PM-But I need it this Friday!!! (This was on a Tuesday)

Me-I am sorry, I have to order the stones and get the material and even if I already had the material on hand and could do it that fast it would still have to be shipped.

PM-OMG, I guess next week will be fine then!!!!!!

Now I knew this lady would be a problem from this short exchange but I just had to replace the motor in my van so I needed the money. So I took the order and hoped for the best. Of course hoping is futile.

A few days pass and didn't hear anything from her, big surprise. I figured the way she acted she would be one of those message me every 30 minutes moms. I send her a pic of the dress and the applique design, without stoning for approval. I explain that I wanted her to approve it before I attached anything permanently and used the stones. And there it goes

PM-WAIT, THAT IS NOT WHAT I WANTED, THERE ARE NOT ANY STONES ON IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me-yes, as I said in the message above I am only getting approval for the design. As soon as you give me a yes I can stone it.

PM-I DON'T LIKE IT, THERE ARE NO STONES ON IT. I WANTED IT TO BE STONED!!!!!! I AM NOT PAYING FOR A DRESS WITH NO STONES!!!!!!!!

Me- OK, let me send you a picture tomorrow night and see if it is more to your liking.

PM-OK but it better be how I want it or I am not paying the rest of the total.

I permanently attach all the appliques and whatnot on the dress and stone it and send her a picture late the next night.

PM-OMG I LOVE IT!!!!!!! Thank you so much, it is wonderful!!!!! A lot better then the picture you sent yesterday morning. I am going to recommend you to all my friends!

At least it had a happy ending but I hope her friends are not as dense as she is.

Gotta love the ones that just don't READ what you've written.

I run into the copyright problem all the fricking time. People seem to have no clue whatsoever that it's not ethical to run around stealing designs from other people. The ones who want Disney (not with a 50 foot pole!) or some Anime character aren't too bad, one can understand wanting a plush/costume of a famous character that you love, but the ones who want me to copy another mascot maker's designs REALLY get on my nerves!
    The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself. ~Cicero

See the fuzzy - http://bladespark.livejournal.com/

Comment

Gotta love people that bawk at the "finished product" no matter how many times you tell the it's incomplete. My friend's who design hit this problem all the time. It save a lot of time and money not to have to alter a finished product, yet people still freak out at the half finished photos.

Quoth spark View Post
      but the ones who want me to copy another mascot maker's designs REALLY get on my nerves!
      I've heard about this a lot. it makes me sad.
      Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
      Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

So now that I'm curious, what exactly does a $3000 dress look like without real diamonds or a celebrity? I'm guessing that's a lot of time, effort and bling.
        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
          So now that I'm curious, what exactly does a $3000 dress look like without real diamonds or a celebrity? I'm guessing that's a lot of time, effort and bling.

Some of these dresses are anywhere from 2-3000 dollars. http://www.cinderellafashions.com/Dresses.php

I don't charge near that much, mainly for materials and barely enough for my time but I am just trying to get my name out there right now. And those stones may not be diamonds but they are super expensive. I think that is what most of the moms don't realize until I send them the link to my wholesale site I get them from. Stones alone can cost around 200 or more. Especially if you use a lot of the chunky ones that cost 15-25 dollars each. The funny thing is that you pay this much for a dress that your kid can only wear maybe a year or so, less if they are under a year old. I guarantee Glenna Hampton and Micheal Booth and all those super expensive designers do not put up with half of the stuff I do. They have people begging at their feet to make them a dress for that much money, and since I am not a big name people think they can walk all over me and get me to pay them to do it

Comment

Wow, those really are beautiful, but 3000 for a dress that will be worn once?

I wonder if anyone has thought to sell their lightly used dresses to people just getting into pageantry with their kids? Maybe make it like a pageant salvation army?
            "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
              Wow, those really are beautiful, but 3000 for a dress that will be worn once?

I wonder if anyone has thought to sell their lightly used dresses to people just getting into pageantry with their kids? Maybe make it like a pageant salvation army?

They don't just wear them once, they wear them to prelims and things too, and some of them do the Nationals once or twice a month, which a prelim cost anywhere from 80 to 200 to enter and a National is 500-2000 according to which one you are doing and if you got any early discounts or won fees off. And there are used ones on ebay and consignment boards that the new moms will gladly snatch up at a slightly discounted rate but the hardcore moms have to have all new stuff that no judge has seen before and does not want anyone else to have seen it or used it. I have witnessed a fistfight over someone trying to take a picture of another little girl with her daughter and the other little girls mama jerked her camera out of her hand because she thought she was taking a pic so she could copy her dress

Comment

Quoth pageantmama View Post
                Some of these dresses are anywhere from 2-3000 dollars. http://www.cinderellafashions.com/Dresses.php
                Sheesh. Some of those kids look like Tammy Faye Bakker. WTF are their parents thinking, if anything?

Comment

WOW - the most non-fratching comment i can say, is that many of those outfits are very age-inappropriate.
                  I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

The reason for all the makeup is that the super bright stage lights at Nationals and such really wash you out. Just like a dancer or stage performer looks like they paint their face in regular lights, some of the girls look like overly made up drag queens in regular light but it looks more natural on stage. The one pageant we did that I had a hair and makeup person do my daughters makeup I was horrified at what she looked like in natural lighting but on stage it looked fine.

And yes, some of the outfits are not age appropriate. Case in point I just made an outfit resembling this Lady Gaga outfit for a 2 year old. http://www.glamour.com/fashion/blogs...d-america.html

Comment

The reason for all the makeup is that the super bright stage lights at Nationals and such really wash you out. Just like a dancer or stage performer looks like they paint their face in regular lights, some of the girls look like overly made up drag queens in regular light but it looks more natural on stage. The one pageant we did that I had a hair and makeup person do my daughters makeup I was horrified at what she looked like in natural lighting but on stage it looked fine.

And yes, some of the outfits are not age appropriate. Case in point I just made an outfit resembling this Lady Gaga outfit for a 2 year old. http://www.glamour.com/fashion/blogs...d-america.html

Stage makeup always looks rediculously overdone, as does camera makeup, but once it's under lights yeah, it really does look different.

As to the dress, or more the mother who wanted it for her 2 year old...
                      If I dropped everybody who occasionally said something stupid from my list of potential partners, I wouldn’t even be able to masturbate

Comment

I have some backstage photos from an opera I was in. Some of the guys particularly look REALLY freakish in the camera flash. I felt pretty darn freakish myself, I don't normally wear makeup at all. But on stage it's a must, really.
                        The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself. ~Cicero

See the fuzzy - http://bladespark.livejournal.com/

Comment

And here I was imagining a 2-year-old in a mini meat dress.
                          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

The funny thing is that you pay this much for a dress that your kid can only wear maybe a year or so, less if they are under a year old.
                            "Under a year old?" The mind boggles. What sort of pageant exists for children that can't even walk, and can't say more than a few words?

Comment

Quoth sirwired View Post
                              "Under a year old?" The mind boggles. What sort of pageant exists for children that can't even walk, and can't say more than a few words?
                              You've never heard of the Little Miss Embryo Pageant?
                              "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Working...
                              X