This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Returns: a small rant.

Returns happen. It's part of selling in the retail world and I don't let it get to me.

I DO, however take issue with people like this person I'm about to complain about. See, I ship out every board wrapped in either an anti-static bag or anti-static bubble wrap and neatly tuck it into a box with a metric crapton of packaging material to keep it from moving.

This person sent back a 100% working part in regular, and very dirty and well-used bubble wrap wrapped in newspaper in a mailer that had been used at least 3 other times. Now, I don't expect everyone to know that pink bubble wrap is anti-static, but WTH do you people do with the packaging you get with the product?? There was nothing of my original packaging present! If I order something, I keep the shipping box until I know it works. And this isn't the first time!

I took this part out of the mess of newspaper and was literally shocked by the bubble wrap multiple times. Which means I'm going to have to retest this board before I list it since I don't know if this board was shocked all the way back to my shop from Arizona. GRR!

So, seriously- ship it like I shipped it to you.
    Last edited by Betweenshades; 05-16-2011, 09:14 PM. Reason: clarity
    "You are beginning to damage my calm."

Maybe this is how the that customer gets his free good bubble wrap supplies.

"All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

If it's broke because the guy shipped it back improperly, can you withhold the refund or something?

Comment

Quoth Hawaiian Eskimo View Post
        If it's broke because the guy shipped it back improperly, can you withhold the refund or something?
        I'm actually wondering the same thing myself. If it's static fried can you claim that he was responsible and thus has to cover costs now?

Comment

Quoth Betweenshades View Post
          ... If I order something, I keep the shipping box until I know it works....
          I'm worse -- if you look in my garage, you'll see shipping boxes and packaging from stuff that's so old it's already been junked. (But I still have the box!)
          I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Quoth Captain Trips View Post
            I'm worse -- if you look in my garage, you'll see shipping boxes and packaging from stuff that's so old it's already been junked. (But I still have the box!)
            /me blushes and tries to hide her stash of shipping packages under a blanket
            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

So, how many assloads in a crapton?

Comment

Quoth Stryker One View Post
                So, how many assloads in a crapton?
                Five assloads to a shiltload, and ten shitloads to a crapton...So, fifty.
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Betweenshades View Post
                  This person sent back a 100% working part in regular, and very dirty and well-used bubble wrap wrapped in newspaper in a mailer that had been used at least 3 other times. Now, I don't expect everyone to know that pink bubble wrap is anti-static, but WTH do you people do with the packaging you get with the product?? There was nothing of my original packaging present! If I order something, I keep the shipping box until I know it works. And this isn't the first time!

I took this part out of the mess of newspaper and was literally shocked by the bubble wrap multiple times. Which means I'm going to have to retest this board before I list it since I don't know if this board was shocked all the way back to my shop from Arizona. GRR!

So, seriously- ship it like I shipped it to you.
                  If you don't already, you need to add an item to your terms: All items are shipped using anti-static packing material. Returns MUST use the original packing material - no refund will be given for returns which fail to use the original packing material.
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Hawaiian Eskimo View Post
                    With eBay, it gets challenging because they can be very blindly pro-customer. Which, to a certain extent isn't a bad thing. It just gets annoying when the buyer is dead effing wrong and we, the seller, has to fight 10 times more to get protected.

In this case, especially since we have feedback to keep in mind, we'll give her the refund. I don't always like it, but it's not worth the drama.

Quoth wolfie View Post
                    If you don't already, you need to add an item to your terms: All items are shipped using anti-static packing material. Returns MUST use the original packing material - no refund will be given for returns which fail to use the original packing material.
                    I have something along those lines, along with a lot of other stuff that I get asked about all the time. :P
                    "You are beginning to damage my calm."

Comment

I mainly keep all packing materials for years after I buy a product, but sometimes things come in the post so mangled that there is no point keeping them.

In the situation of returns though, you need to have a clause stating to ship back in original packaging if you want to pin the cost of damaged products on them for improper packaging.
                      Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Comment

Working...
                      X