This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You Should Have Kept Quiet

We have this unofficial policy regarding payment for shipping.

When we ship to a school or agency it is always on Net-30 terms. Which means they issue a written purchase order. Sometimes they include a line item for shipping with the correct shipping. Sometimes they guesstimate and allocate too much to make sure it's covered. Sometimes they don't provide a line for it. Sometimes they provide the line item and put $0 in it.

In the above circumstances, 99% of the time, they want something shipped and plan to pay the cost, they just didn't know what it was so they didn't put it down on the PO.

The other 1% have no intention of paying for shipping. They suck. However, calling almost every school to find out that 99% of the time that yes, they had every intention of paying for shipping is time consuming for us and the customers. It ends up being more expensive than letting the 1% get away with it.

You don't have to tell me "it's the principle" because I totally get that. It irks me too. Sometimes we have to choose our battles and this just isn't one of them. Not to mention that if no monies are allocated on a PO we can't legally do anything about it anyway. It's all taken care of by accounting. I never know who the 1% are, which is probably for the best.

This week I've been dealing with a customer who not only belonged to that 1%, but contacted me to specifically tell me that he had no intention of paying for shipping.

Actually he didn't. He was one of those people who made his assitant get the quote in the first place. You know how that goes. She asks me how much. I ask her a question so I can provide an accurate price. She has to ask the boss and get back to me. Then I provide the price. She relays it to the boss and he has her ask another question. I ask for clarification to answer. She goes to the boss and gets back to me, etc.

So she was acting as go-between during the "I'm not paying you, neener, neener" exchange.

I explained to her that if a PO has a shipping address and does not have an email address for electronic delivery that we assume the customer wants the CD and ship it.

The assistant must have been sick of his shit at this point. She just forwarded his reply to her reply without any comment.

Basically it said "I don't care if the PO had a shipping address. You tell them it was for $XXX and I'm not paying one cent more than that."

And again we come back to the fact that we don't have any legal means to fight that so that is the end of it. Cost of doing business and all.

In my reply I offered my apologies for the "misunderstanding." Of course, in the interest of providing better customer service (), I made sure to let him know that we've flagged his account so that his "special request" to have electronic delivery for ALL orders would be honored in the future unless the PO specified otherwise and allocated funds for shipping.

If he had just kept his mouth shut and simply allowed the organization's accounting department to quietly have our accountant adjust the invoice they could have gone on for YEARS getting free shipping on the sly. But he had to open his mouth and make sure we knew he was right and we were wrong. I even made sure to put his name with the note, so you know, his colleagues will know who to, um, "thank" when they need something shipped from us and have to jump through extra hoops to issue a new PO for it.

Way to go!
    Last edited by Dips; 05-17-2011, 03:05 PM.
    The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

He must be quite the contortionist to be able to shoot himself in the foot with both thumbs up his ass. :-)
    "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
      He must be quite the contortionist to be able to shoot himself in the foot with both thumbs up his ass. :-)

That was awesome
      https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
      Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

You know what the best part is?

The assistant just got back to me and she's really happy and grateful. I took care of *her* problem by getting her boss off *her* back about it.

I'm sure he's fuming but what's he gonna do? Complain that I'm making sure we don't make that "mistake" again.
        The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

Comment

My company includes the cost of shipping in the price of the product. This is not explicitly stated anywhere so we have no problems with anyone trying to get a deduct when they don't have the product shipped (they have no idea they paid for shipping in the first place) and we don't have to worry about having shipping on the PO (our quotes are "Lot Net Delivered" and if asked we say chipping is free).

Could your company do that?
          You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious.

Comment

Yeah. If it starts becoming a much bigger issue than it is now, I've suggested we do that and offer a "discount" for electronic orders.

The major problem is that we sell all over the world. Building US shipping costs into the product price wouldn't be a big deal. They are still the majority of our customer base. But we can't build overseas shipping into the price because it's so high. And giving US customers "free" shipping and charging others extra might not appear fair to overseas customers, even though it IS fair if we deduct the built-in US shipping cost from what we charge for shipping overseas.

Our best hope is that this kind of incident remains rare.

Comment

I'm curious..
              1) How these are quoted out? For example, does your quote list the proper Incoterms and/or state the customer is responsible for freight?

2) What do the customer POs say regarding shipping method? Most purchase orders (at least the non-govermental ones) list a shipping method of Collect, Prepay & Add, etc. If their PO said Prepay & Add, then charging them for freight is per the official PO.
              A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

1) We're not that formal. Most of the time they get the price from our web site and submit a PO without a quote. When we quote we submit it in whatever form they ask for. It lists the price and the price of shipping. It also tells them they can elect electronic delivery (with no shipping charge) if they want.

2) As you can see from my OP, they vary all over the place. Basically, if we see a shipping address and no other instructions to do otherwise, we assume they want a CD and plan to pay for shipping. 99% of the time that's the correct assumption. The other 1% don't affect the bottom line enough to waste effort calling all of our customers to clarify and holding up their orders waiting for them to get back to us.

But we are, of course, going to do that for THIS customer from now on.

Comment

Quoth Dips View Post
                  But we can't build overseas shipping into the price because it's so high. And giving US customers "free" shipping and charging others extra might not appear fair to overseas customers, even though it IS fair if we deduct the built-in US shipping cost from what we charge for shipping overseas.
                  I'd have to disagree with that; overseas customers, if they aren't well aware that shipping to them costs a lot more than shipping within a country, will find out pretty quickly. Lots of vendors offer free shipping within the US (e.g. Amazon, Buy.com), and if they'd been experiencing problems they would've discontinued the practice.

Comment

Thanks for the re-assurance. If we have to re-evaluate our policy that's something to keep in mind.

Comment

Working...
                    X