This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth C. Cecil Ivanish View Post
    what is invented when you are between the ages of 15 and 35 is cool and a possible career opportunity; what is invented after that is bad, wrong and unholy".
    I'm 55 and I love my Kindle . Even my mother knows what an ebook is and is contemplating buying a reader.The author must be special.

Comment

...what is invented after that is bad...
      Bad fire. Bad bad fire!
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Someone recently (was it here?) said "whatever in technology was invented before you are 15 is part of your life; what is invented when you are between the ages of 15 and 35 is cool and a possible career opportunity; what is invented after that is bad, wrong and unholy".
        Heh. Maybe that explains why I have no use for Facebook.

Quoth dalesys View Post
        Bad fire. Bad bad fire!
        <snicker>
        There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

There are some books you can't just carry around though, like Lord of the Rings. I have the whole trilogy on my older Reader.

It's about 1,000 pages and I can't zoom in because of the sheer size of the thing.
          My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

I'll get an e-reader the day they come out with a waterproof one. At least now if I get a book wet while reading in the bathtub (ah, my large garden tub, how I love thee!), I can dry out the pages with my hairdryer.

And I *wish* that quote about technology and aging were true! My husband's almost 35 and it would mean he wouldn't find it neccessary to replace our entire movie and tv show collection on whatever format supplants blu-ray. It wouldn't be so bad it he'd just want to buy new stuff in the new format, but he insists on replacing everything in the old. Which means there's lots of stuff we have on VHS, laser disc, DVD, and blu-ray. And he wonders why we haven't managed to save up enough money to finish out the basement or build a new deck and patio....
            Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Quoth 42_42_42 View Post
              I'll get an e-reader the day they come out with a waterproof one.
              http://www.kindleowners.com/2010/05/...rproof-covers/

Quoth thansal View Post
              My head, which is already hurting today, hates you now.
              Sowwies.

Comment

Quoth BookBint View Post
                Thanks for mentioning that... But I'd argue with the 'quite'. Many books are re-written! At the very least the text in Word is completely reformatted, it is paged, edited, proofed, designed, indexed...
                Local idiomatic difference. To me, "quite a lot of work" means "a great deal of work". Lots and lots of work. My apologies if it came across poorly.
                Seshat's self-help guide:
                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

That's pretty cool. Although some other sites I've been on have had people saying they just put the thing in a large Baggie.
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                    eFail.
                    Quoth LillFilly View Post
                    eGads!

My brain is now ebroken.
                    Quoth Nyoibo View Post
                    Geez, get some eKnoweldge or I'm gonna put my eFoot up your eAss.
                    eNough already!

"whatever in technology was invented before you are 15 is part of your life; what is invented when you are between the ages of 15 and 35 is cool and a possible career opportunity; what is invented after that is bad, wrong and unholy".
                    I am 40 and love my Kindle. My older sister just turned 45 and loves her Nook, not to mention her phone is always the latest everything and then some. My little sister, who is 39, envies my Kindle, and probably has some newer stuff that I don't have. I want an iPod, or something similar for music, although I suppose that was invented before 2005. But you get the point. While my parents are behind technologically, I love the gadgets that I have--although, unlike my older sister, I don't have everything that is hip and new right now. But in addition to my Kindle, I love my cell phone (Rumor 2, still a dumb phone, as opposed to a Smart phone), and I love love LOVE my dvr.

Quoth Tama View Post
                    There are some books you can't just carry around though, like Lord of the Rings. I have the whole trilogy on my older Reader.

It's about 1,000 pages and I can't zoom in because of the sheer size of the thing.
                    I can carry it around in either my Kindle (if I ever get it for my Kindle) or in book form. Why can I do this? A nifty little invention from a few years ago called "paperbacks."

Quoth 42_42_42 View Post
                    I'll get an e-reader the day they come out with a waterproof one.
                    I was worrying about this very thing when I was on vacation in Fort Lauderdale this past week. I'd have loved to have read on the beach, but the fear of getting sand or water in it scared me to death. I DID read it poolside, but was very, very careful with it, and merely read it while laying out with a beer beside me. I never actually got in the pool. But honestly, I would never read IN the pool, I would just worry about the Kindle when I got OUT of the pool dripping wet.

Quoth 42_42_42 View Post
                    Which means there's lots of stuff we have on VHS, laser disc, DVD, and blu-ray. And he wonders why we haven't managed to save up enough money to finish out the basement or build a new deck and patio....
                    Well, you CAN build a new deck and patio, as long as you don't mind building them with all those VHS tapes and laser discs that he's got extra and now-obsolete copies of.

Cool shit! I am going to have to get me one of those sometime in the near future!

As for the person who suggested the Ziploc bag, the problems I see with that are that it is not form fitting, it is probably not as strong or thick as the covers, and it probably creates more glare from the sun than the covers designed specifically for that purpose. Of course, the Ziploc would work in a pinch; just saying.

I keep my Kindle dry (though have spilled a few drops on it while reading and drinking, admittedly--nothing major) because I am careful, I have the cover with the built-in light (I buy protective covers for everything electronic and fragile I own, as I am a natural klutz), and when out and about, the Kindle is in the case AND in my backpack 99% of the time. I.e., this is enough for when it's raining. And if it's raining really hard, I can improvise for the Kindle's protection.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                    Still A Customer."

Comment

"whatever in technology was invented before you are 15 is part of your life; what is invented when you are between the ages of 15 and 35 is cool and a possible career opportunity; what is invented after that is bad, wrong and unholy".
                      I am officially stealing this >_>

At last, I have my excuse to continue not ever having owned an iAnything. Ever. At all. Hell, it took me until two years ago to get a damn cellphone, and that was just because the boss got tired of not being able to reach me in the field x.x
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Mikkel View Post
                        I'm 55 and I love my Kindle . Even my mother knows what an ebook is and is contemplating buying a reader.The author must be special.
                        ...like every generalisation, it... generalises
                        Quoth dalesys View Post
                        Bad fire. Bad bad fire!
                        ...did I overhear someone saying "not to talk about those t-rex"?
                        Quoth Tama View Post
                        It depends on how fit you are
                        Quoth Jester View Post
                        I am 40 and love my Kindle. My older sister just turned 45 and loves her Nook, not to mention her phone is always the latest everything and then some. My little sister, who is 39, envies my Kindle, and probably has some newer stuff that I don't have.
                        ...again, generalisations. My mother drew the line when she was about 20, thus being BARELY able to accept audio cassettes (oh yes), while my mother-in-law - who is only 5 years younger than her - converses about iPads and regularly defeats her 26-year-old son on the XboX360.
                        FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

You're not a unique snowflake unless you create your own mould (Raps)

***GK, Sarcastro, Lupo, LingualMonkey, BookBint, Jester, Irv, Hero & Marlowe fan***

Comment

......did I overhear someone saying "not to talk about those t-rex"?
                          Those sabertooths sure make bushes tasty. nom nom nom /COS
                          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                            I have my excuse to continue not ever having owned an iAnything. Ever. At all.
                            You already had an excuse. It's called "you didn't want one."

Which is far more valid a justification for your avoidance of iAnything than a broad generalization of who does what when, in my opinion.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                            Still A Customer."

Comment

I have the strange feeling that this author thought the publisher was going to send her a half-dozen Kindles, each with a single copy of the book loaded and nothing else.

I've embraced eBooks reluctantly, but eventually. I don't really like the Kindle on my iPhone (how many books do you want to read with two-by-three-inch pages?) so I'm looking forward to owning my first tablet.

Love, Who?

Comment

Working...
                              X