This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evil vs. Good

Well I have had an interesting day as far as exchanging messages with customers!

The evil first because we all know that is why we are here

Had a customer ask about prices for a new dress and swimsuit for her daughter. Took a look at her drawings that she sent for design and let her know. She said she would talk to her husband which usually means that they are using that for an excuse and I will never hear from her again. Surprisingly she messaged me back a few hours later and said it was OK. I took her payment and wrote down her measurements and made a list of materials. Then she writes me back and completely changes the colors but wants the same design. No problem since I don't have materials yet. I let her know that no changes can be made once I purchase materials. She says fine. I went and looked at her facebook page just to take a look at her daughter and to make sure the colors would look good on her daughter since the change is sort of an odd color combo. I kind of recognize her and see that she is from my area. I also realized who she was all of a sudden and remembered that she was a mom that was talking bad about my daughter at a pageant one time because she got best dressed and this mom was loudly saying "I cannot believe that girl got best dress, her MOM made her dress for God's sake. I paid 700.00 for this dress and a mommy made dress beat it, unbelievable!!!" She also went on to say that my daughter should not have gotten most beautiful or best hair as well since SHE paid a lady 75.00 to put makeup on and fix the hair of her 1 year old and I sat there and did my daughters hair and makeup myself. I don't think she realized that I was the mommy that made the dress she was blabbing on about a couple of years ago

For the good, and the awesome surprise...

I have a customer that bought her daughters first pageant dress from me and it was actually the second or third dress I ever made for a customer. Since then she has bought casual wears and other outfits from me but got her glitz dresses from another designer. She decided her daughter needs a whole new wardrobe so she asked me about some prices. I gave her a list and did not hear back for a couple of days. She emailed me today and said she was sorry, she was out of town but she loves my work and would like to go ahead and get her new glitz dress from me this time. I said great and just let me know when she wants to get started. She gave me a few ideas on design and I let her know an estimate. She said that she still has the first dress I made them because it is special to her and that all the casual wear outfits I made always scored high. And that my work was awesome and that I should not short change myself by charging so little. Then came the awesomeness. She said her husband had given her a 2500 allowance for new clothes and since she knew my work was good and I charged less then other designers, she was going to have me make all the outfits AND give me an extra 400 on top of my asking price because otherwise she would feel bad for getting such good work for such a cheap price, and she would have spent way more with anyone else anyway

I was happy dancing, lol. I have her deposit and have set aside 2 whole weeks to do nothing but her outfits

Quoth pageantmama View Post
    Then came the awesomeness. She said her husband had given her a 2500 allowance for new clothes and since she knew my work was good and I charged less then other designers, she was going to have me make all the outfits AND give me an extra 400 on top of my asking price because otherwise she would feel bad for getting such good work for such a cheap price, and she would have spent way more with anyone else anyway
    Okay everyone, happydance conga - begin!

Rapscallion

Comment

I'm so happy for you that I removed the picture of Dr. Farnsworth naked, doing the conga. <.<
      Last edited by Seraph; 05-18-2011, 10:17 PM. Reason: ....image was a little disturbing, come to think of it.
      By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Wow, that's awesome! Now I'm really hoping the girls wins, because that's some good Karma. That and you always want the nice ones to win.
        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
          I'm so happy for you that I removed the picture of Dr. Farnsworth naked, doing the conga. <.<
          Darn I missed it

I was so not expecting her to do that either. Usually I have to deal with them complaining about my prices. I am going to do a heck of a job on hers because I really want her to win, lol. The extra 400 is divided among 5 different outfits of course, not just 400 extra on one, but even if it was an extra hundred that is still just so awesome for her to recognize my work like that I have also gotten several customers from her recommendations over the last couple of years, she is awesome

Comment

Pretty soon they'll be interviewing the pageant winners and asking, "WHO are you wearing?" Then you can take a bow when they tell everyone your name. Win-Win!
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth pageantmama View Post
              "I cannot believe that girl got best dress, her MOM made her dress for God's sake. I paid 700.00 for this dress and a mommy made dress beat it, unbelievable!!!" She also went on to say that my daughter should not have gotten most beautiful or best hair as well since SHE paid a lady 75.00 to put makeup on and fix the hair of her 1 year old and I sat there and did my daughters hair and makeup myself.
              Well that just means 'her MOM!' is a skilled dressmaker, hairstylist and makeup artist, doesn't it? Some people!

As for the second lady - WOOT! Some people recognise skill and are willing to pay for it. We need more such people.
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I recently had a couple of people give me a huge tip. I'm never going to complain about people who do that! Heck, I'll put up with a lot of nonsense from somebody who's going to be generous, and usually they're also super-easy customers to work with too!
                The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself. ~Cicero

See the fuzzy - http://bladespark.livejournal.com/

Comment

Woo! What a NICE lady. Really, I mean that. I've run into the odd pageant mother and they scare me.
                  What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

Kudos to you for taking the high road of professionalism and making a beautiful dress for the daughter of the woman with the ugly heart.

Comment

I'm glad your hard work and talent is recognized by right people! Go you!
                      "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                        Pretty soon they'll be interviewing the pageant winners and asking, "WHO are you wearing?" Then you can take a bow when they tell everyone your name. Win-Win!
                        A friend of mine has been featured on Toddlers and Tiaras, her episode will air in July. She is planning on being followed with her daughter again next season and I will be making her outfits for it. I plan on hand delivering her clothing while crews happen to be there

Comment

Quoth spark View Post
                          I recently had a couple of people give me a huge tip. I'm never going to complain about people who do that! Heck, I'll put up with a lot of nonsense from somebody who's going to be generous, and usually they're also super-easy customers to work with too!
                          I have noticed that the ones that want to haggle are the most impatient and the rudest ones. And I have also noticed that the ones that say "wow you have awesome prices for your work!" are the ones that are patient and amazing to work with and appreciate everything you do. Those usually get some extra stoning thrown in The mean ones get the bare essentials that they pay for.

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                            Hey, leave Philo out of this, he's a good guy!
                            (Cookies for the person who gets the ref. 1st)

Comment

Bite my shiny metal butt!

Quoth lineswine View Post
                              Hey, leave Philo out of this, he's a good guy!
                              (Cookies for the person who gets the ref. 1st)
                              Futurama!

10 Characters damn it!

Comment

Working...
                              X