This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lawyer and His Books

A quick lesson before we begin: college is the UK equivilent to high school, except it is not compulsory. What you guys call college, we call university.

A local college of mine is known for being VERY snooty, even though they have absolutely no reason to be. Their results are pretty much exactly the same as any other college in the area, but for some reason they believe they are in the same league as Oxford or Cambridge. I did not attend this college myself, but many of my friends did, and they all left feeling miserable and stressed. I went to a different college, and finished with the same grades they did, but left with so many happy memories that I still long for those days even today.

The college has not changed in the past seven years since my friends attended. The most recent scandal involving them was that they sent a letter to all the parents in the local area, advertising an open day. They actually included this sentence at the end of the letter, word for word.

"If any of your child's grades are expected to be below grade B, do not bother attending.

Yeah, that's the degree of snootiness we are talking about.

About a month ago, we got word that a tutor from the college want to hire out a classroom to run some Law classes. We agreed and it was set up. I had the pleasure of meeting this man when he came to the reception.

Week 1

He looked like the sterotypical, snivelling lawyer. He came dressed in his best grey suit, and honestly looked as though he was going to a court appearence, not teaching a class. On his first visit, he came in with a box filled with books.

"Ah yes, you there, boy!"

That's right, he was talking to me.

"Take these books to my class! They are hurting my fingers!"

I explained through gritted teeth that I could not leave my desk, and he would have to take them himself.

Lawyer: Hmph! What exactly am I paying for?
    Me: The classroom space.

He did not like that at all. I didn't see him again until he left, and he walked out with his nose up in the air.

Week 2

He came in with his box of books.

Lawyer: Look, it is absolutely senseless having to carry these books in EVERY week. I will just leave them in your care.
    Me: I am not comfortable with that. I cannot be held responsible for other people's belongings.
    Lawyer: Just put them under your desk! Only you will know!
    Me: I am not here all the time. Two other people also share this desk during the week. Sorry, but I will not take them.
    Lawyer: Hmph!

Week 3

A deputy head asks to see me. He informs me that he received a complaint that I would not look after his books.

DH: But don't worry, I put him in his place. He sounds like a very rude man. Don't put up with him.

Lawyer came in again that evening, but he seemed to be deliberately struggling with his books. He was putting on a right show. I need to point out that this box of books could not have been heavy. The box itself was only the length of a sheet of paper. I didn't say a word and let him carry on.

This week

He arrived for his class, complete with his box of books. I mumbled a faint hello as he walked through the doors (he wasn't struggling this time).

Lawyer: You've been nothing but consistently rude to me for a month! I guess that's why you're stuck behind a desk while I teach law!

He went to push open the doors that led to his classroom.

He pushed, and he pushed, and he pushed. No luck. He couldn't get through. He turned to face me, with his eyebrows raised in an impatient way.

Me: That's a pull door.

His face went RED.

Me: Don't you DARE talk down to me when you can't even figure out how to open a door.

He pulled the door open and disappeared down the corridor.

wow, books too heavy? hit the gym or get a rolling case for them...for a 'lawyer,' he's certainly not at the 'top of his class' intelligence wise.

hell, even with my slightly better than average gpa, i can figure out how to handle little issues like this.

asking you to sit his books is not ballsy in the least.
    look! it's ghengis khan!
    Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

He doesn't teach for the Midvale School For the Gifted does he?
      "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth customersruinmylife View Post
        He pushed, and he pushed, and he pushed. No luck. He couldn't get through. He turned to face me, with his eyebrows raised in an impatient way.

His face went RED.

Me: Don't you DARE talk down to me when you can't even figure out how to open a door.

He pulled the door open and disappeared down the corridor.
        You really said that to him? That is awesome and win.

Comment

I love when people like that just Gift you their comeuppance XD
          I have the Lawyer who was defeated by a power button, you have the Lawyer who was defeated by a door.
          "On a scale of 1 to banana, whats your favourite colour of the alphabet?"
          Regards, Lord Baron Darth von Vaderham, esq. Middle brother to mharbourgirl & Squeaksmyalias

Comment

You've been nothing but consistently rude to me for a month! I guess that's why you're stuck behind a desk while I teach law!
            I love these kinds of people. They're always mean to people they take to be below them and all the while complain that people are being rude to them. In his eyes, you "being polite" was to act as if you were in service and cater to every whim with a "yes, Sir."

Sickening.
            "You are beginning to damage my calm."

Comment

Quoth customersruinmylife View Post

"Ah yes, you there, boy!"
              There's no one here by that name.

Lawyer: Hmph! What exactly am I paying for?
              Me: The classroom space.
              I can practically picture that matter-of-fact answer. Sort of like that Sean Connery quote from somewhere:
              "No? What do you mean no?"
              -"Well it's the opposite of yes."

His face went RED.

You sir, are more awesome than a velociraptor piloting an X-wing fighter!
              Happiness is the exercise of vital powers along lines of excellence in a life affording you scope.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                My first thought too.

Link for somewhere with an image of the reference for those who don't know it.

Sounds like a complete idiot. Though I always love idiots who deliberately over act like that, it is so funny to ignore them and it takes no effort at all. They manage to do all the work for you.

Also please remember - lawyers aren't evil. Though your local college may be. I have met many many lawyers and they've all been wonderful people, and almost none of whom have been well paid. That's no doubt because I have met those who are dedicated to teaching, and those who are dedicated to helping people in need and haven't hung around the ambulance chasers. I know there are bad ones too, but I wish everyone would remember the variety. Gandhi was a lawyer. So was Abraham Lincoln. This was a public service announcement from someone who actually has a soft spot for the legal profession.

Why do I find myself hoping that the college ends up under enrolled because so many people feel they won't get in and that they end up losing out on funding ? That's a horrendous attitude, and it's such a frightening time for people who are really very young the last thing they need is letters like that being sent out.

Victoria J

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                  Damn you, Dave! I was just going to comment on that Far Side cartoon.
                  To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

If his firm allows their staff to talk that way toward the general public, perhaps it's time to give his supervisors a call and let him know how he's been behaving and you can't recommend his service to anyone.

Comment

"He pushed, and he pushed, and he pushed. No luck. He couldn't get through. He turned to face me, with his eyebrows raised in an impatient way.

His face went RED.

He pulled the door open and disappeared down the corridor."

roflmao, oh that totally had me giggling. Ooo ooo, thanks. Love to see jerks get their butts handed to them.

Comment

Quoth Talon View Post

You sir, are more awesome than a velociraptor piloting an X-wing fighter!

I whole-heartedly agree with this statement.
                        "I am nothing if not an equal opportunity asshole." -Gravekeeper

"F**k you and your tie." -Jester

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                          Erm... I attended Midvale Junior High. We built "Humpty Buzzers" in shop. Does that count?
                          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Awesome for you for telling him off like that! He totally deserved it! Maybe he should get a rolling carrying thing if his books are so "heavy"

Comment

that made my day !!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X