This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A backlog of suck

It's been quite awhile since I've posted, but I've collected a few anecdotes to share. Quick background: I work in a grocery store with a cafeteria-style dining area.
    ~~~~

A family comes up to pay for their meals, and I ask if they're having any drinks. The woman says, "No, we'll have water." She holds up the water cups, pays, and goes on her way. I happen to be walking by the drink counter while she fills one of the cups with soda. I politely mention that I misunderstood; I thought she said she was getting water. She grabs her purse and snaps, "How much do I owe you for half a cup of root beer?" I want to ask full price because of her attitude, but I charge her for a child's drink instead, since a child is drinking it.

A few minutes later, she storms up to the counter to point out to me that a woman has just filled her kid's cup with Pepsi. The person who is currently paying happens to be in the accused's party, so I tell her that they have actually purchased a drink for the child. As she goes back to her table, she screeches, "Well, Sor-REE!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SC comes up to pay for his soup and salad on a Wednesday afternoon. As I'm ringing him up, he points to the sign on the salad bar. "It says $4 for all you can eat. Don't you think that's deceptive?"

"You mean that huge banner that says "EVERY TUESDAY" in big red letters?" I ask innocently.

"Yeah, well, that part is up in the corner. (It takes up a full 1/4 of the sign, and the letters are at least 3 inches tall) I come in here every day!" declares SC.

I THINK: Gee, then you've had ample opportunity to read the sign by now.
    I SAY: "Here's your change, and I'll probably see you when you come in tomorrow!" SC grunts and leaves.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's a full moon, and the deli has a special on chicken: Eight pieces for five bucks. Of course, this combination brings out the best in people.

One lady wants eight breasts. I'd settle for two slightly larger ones, but neither of us is getting what we want for five bucks. Sucks to be us.

One SC wants four of the 8pc. deals, made fresh. He is told it will be about 20 minutes. He agrees and says he'll be back to get it. We fill his order directly from the fryer basket, and a CW prepares to put the rest of the batch into the service case. SC comes back for his order just as this happens. When presented with his boxes of chicken, he accuses us of keeping it warmed over. After all, he just witnessed an employee putting out fresh chicken, and we gave him prepackaged boxes! He complains to the MOD when he goes to pay, and ends up getting everything for free - including a couple of large side dishes!

~~~~~~~~

A couple comes through my lane with a WIC voucher for baby food. The voucher calls for something like 20 jars of plain fruits or vegetables. Only 4 or 5 of their selections are eligible. The rest are things like chicken and noodles, macaroni and cheese, apple granola, etc.

Even if a bit illiterate, that couple was at least understanding about the situation. We don't always get so lucky.

I once checked out an SC who practically had an aneurysm when she was told she had to get whole milk, as it stated on the WIC voucher, instead of 1% milk. She was shopping for her daughter, whom she called on her cell phone so she (the daughter) could tell us she always got 1% milk with her vouchers. When that didn't work, the SC did the ol' "Never coming back!" song and dance. She declared that since we'd rather lose a customer than bend the rules a little, she'd take her business elsewhere.

Good. Let some other store risk their WIC acceptance status by giving in to your tantrums. And thanks for giving us a heads-up to watch out for people like you.

One lady wants eight breasts. I'd settle for two slightly larger ones, but neither of us is getting what we want for five bucks. Sucks to be us.
    Good thing I wasn't drinking anything when I read this.

She was a jerk. Eight pieces of chicken for $5 is a darn good price, no matter what combo of pieces you get.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

It's possible the woman with WIC used to get 1%. Sometimes they change the rules and what's considered "standard", meaning now she has to get whole milk instead of 1%. Doesn't mean you're going to allow a switcheroo and risk you store accepting WIC though.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

As she goes back to her table, she screeches, "Well, Sor-REE!"
        sorry you got caught, right?

mm, chickeny goodness.

wic, don't mess with it; it says what it says, read it or gtfo.
        look! it's ghengis khan!
        Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
          It's possible the woman with WIC used to get 1%.
          I've never seen any WIC voucher in my life that had anything other than whole milk, as toddlers over one year of age DO need the extra fat and calories to grow-switching down to 2% isn't even recommended until age two or three.
          Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Tennessee just changed their vouchers. Whole milk only for under 2s and then the voucher changes to 2%. The state was finding that kids were getting too much fat in their diets. Lots of SCs are still having issues with getting the right one. Doubly sucky when you realize that retail psychology says to put the milk in the very back of the store. Long walk to switch the product for the customer!

Comment

Quoth CarcinogenCrunchies View Post
              One lady wants eight breasts
              There's a counsellor for that condition. Diana of Ephesus.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                There's a counsellor for that condition. Diana of Ephesus.

Rapscallion
                Oink!(thinking Male Chauvinist Piggy thoughts)
                invisible filler
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I wish some of my customers would do the whole "never coming back" thing. I get the "I come here all the time and you always screw somthing up" spiel. If we always screw up why do you come back?
                  Answers: $1
                  Correct Answers: $2
                  Answers that require thought: $5
                  Dumb looks are still free.

Comment

I used to be assistant manager at a Pizza Hut that still did the lunch buffet. We always had people that said they were going to drink water and stole soda. So as soon as I was manager and took over the lunch shift I made sure all the clear cups were saved for water. First day two women asked for water cups, we gave them clear cups. I walk by their table, cups with soda. I go to the register, print up a ticket for two sodas, bring it to their table and tell them pay before they leave or I call the police.

Comment

Off topic..over the years I've seen many things change for WIC..I've been a cashier 2 seperate times (far apart in time), and a CSM. Before they had the debit card like option. Seen 1% only, whole milk only, anything but 2%, and a combo (1% - 2% - Whole) of the former but nothing like Silk, etc. Even had one who because their child was lactose intolerant could get a soy brand. *shrugs*

As for 8 peices of chicken for $5..I guess it depended on the chicken..but that is a dang good price even for 8 drumsticks.
                      Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Working...
                      X