This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazon Asstardary

I know, I know, LOONNNG time since I've posted but this particular gem is rubbing me the wrong way for some reason.

Bit of BG, part of my job is managing our online marketplaces such as Amazon, alibris, half.com, etc, etc. This also includes contact with buyers. Nine times out of ten, people are understanding and easy to work with, even if they're kinda crazy. we sell used textbooks online, and some people's standards are incredibly high, stupidly high I would say. Well, sometimes, as it happens, other sellers will buy from us, so they can turn around and resell for higher. Not sure why, just how shit happens. (end of BG)

I got an amazon message last week. Now, first off, there are different versions of some books. Same title/author and content, but some come with CDs, access codes or special happy bells and whistles that cost more. WE list by ISBN, so if you search for it on Amazon, you'll see THEIR description, can click on "used from" and go to see the marketplace where other sellers are offering that title in various conditions. ALL of our books are described as used, in used condition, may contain writing and/or highlighting. If an item is listed by amazon as with a CD, study guide or whathaveyou, that's how WE sell it.

Guy orders This book

Scroll down and there's blurb about with a special CD and the features on CD, but it clearly notes (complete with hyperlink!!) that this refers to an ALTERNATE edition seen here.

What we listed? No CD. Confusing yes, but hey, it's Amazon and the publisher's wording.

Well, Mr. Asstard here comes and sends the following message (all spelling and grammar intact):
    Quoth le asshole
    "We received this book without a CD which means this item was advertised incorrectly by you on amazon. If you have the CD send it to [Address removed]. Reference the above order number.

If you do not have the CD ssue a full refund, and if you would like the
    book back we can arrange return shipment. Please respond regarding hat your actions will be. If you do not do one of the previous options we will ave to file an A-Z claim with Amazon to receive our money back fr your false advertise.

Thank you,
    Mr. Asstard"

Ok, fine, I doublechecked, made sure we had the correct listing, even went to the PUBLISHER'S site to verify the ISBN he purchased didn't come with anything, and it didn't. So I responded politely, and informed him of such, mainly, with the following email through Amazon messaging:

Quoth Me!
    Hello,

I am sorry if there seems to be some confusion, however the book was listed
    correctly, with no CD included. I have looked at the publishers website, and
    nothing on the information listed from the publisher indicates this book is
    meant to come with a CD, at least not for this ISBN [Identifying info from above with publisher link]

Nor does the Amazon product page list it as with a CD, though there is a link
    or an alternate paperback edition that includes the CD, seen here:
    [same link from above]

I do apologize for the confusion, however if you would still like a refund
    issued, please feel free to send the book back to the address below, and include
    he packing slip sent with the book. Once we receive it back, we will gladly
    issue a refund for the cost of the book. Please be advised that our refund policy is such that all returns generally must be postmarked within 10 days of receipt of messages granting refunds. Thank you and have a great day!"
    End of it, you'd think, yes? Especially since I hadn't heard from him for over a week. Well, apparently not. This morning, there's another lovely little gem.

Another note here: Our policy is we don't pay for return shipping unless we've made an error. That's in line with Amazon Seller terms. It's not on us to ship it back, we just refund the cost of the item. Further, Amazon ALSO recommends (which we adhere to) not issuing a refund until we get the item back in our grubby little hands. Note how above he demanded a refund and then MAYBE we could arrange getting our book back? yeah, um...no...

Here's what he had to say this morning:

Quoth still an ass
    send a call tag for this book or refund the shipping in Amazon first before we send it back to ensure the book is getting refunded.

NO!!

>.<

So, I toddle back to reread Amazon terms and conditions again, to make sure I'm not misinterpreting them, and doublecheck the refund policy issued on OUR storefront. Yup, everything lines up. So, I sent another message out today, again super polite:

Quoth Must. Be. Professional...
    Hello,

I am sorry that this order did not work out for you. However, our policy is not to issue any refunds until the item is back in our facility. Further, return shipping is not at our cost, as we shipped the correct item you ordered. As such, if you would still like a call tag issued, the cost of said tag plus the shipping to get it to you will be deducted from the amount of your refund. If you wish to send the book back to us, the address is below.

Thank you and have a great day!

Probably won't hear back from him for another week...

I did a little investigating, and he's a condescending piece of work. His account is a storefront for another bookseller. Ok, sure, fine, whatever. But he's being demanding that we give him every last cent back and some change, because HE read a description wrong and ordered a wrong book, but HIS return policy is so horribly WRONG.

First of all, you have to contact them within 2 days and get permission/authorization to return books, then ship them back within a week, AND get charged a 10% restocking fee (Fun fact!! Directly from Amazon: For used media, defects/damage/material difference should be reported to you within 14 days of receipt and the returned merchandise should still be postmarked within 30 days of shipment. There should be no restocking fee charged if the item is defective/damaged/materially different. - He's charging a restocking fee regardless, and it's indicated in his feedback!) Also, if you don't have permission to return you get walloped with a 40% restocking fee, so if your mail carrier can't deliver/he gets the address wrong/you refuse or change your mind?? Yeah, you lose about half your money.

Reading through this person/store's feedback, I'm amazed at some of the gall. Yes, overall a super high feedback score, lots of positives but the negatives are a doozy. Takes too long to respond, never ships a book, or waits until 1 day AFTER the period where a book can be returned to answer an email.

So...who wants to bet I hear from this ass next week, threatening another claim? I held back from mentioning Amazon's rules, that's for next time, because I'm pretty sure he's going to pitch a fit and a half.

Quoth still an ass
    send a call tag for this book or refund the shipping in Amazon first before we send it back to ensure the book is getting refunded.
    OMG. I had a guy who bought a TV part from me that was the wrong part number, not compatible with his TV and didn't even LOOK the same. He bought it because a tech told him he needed it and mine was the first one that came up on Google.

Which of course was MY fault.

But, he wanted me to send a shipping label to his email. Heh.
    "You are beginning to damage my calm."

Comment

I've never sold on Amazon, do they support their own terms and conditions? If this yahoo were to file a claim, would Amazon likely rule in your favor? I ask only because ebay/half.com is notorious for screwing sellers over. Had a friend that sold on ebay and the buyer said they never received the item. Seller had the tracking number and signature, yet ebay ruled in the buyer's favor. Not saying mail never gets lost (I have thieving neighbors myself), but it makes very cynical.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Another case of someone not reading properly and blaming the seller.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
          I've never sold on Amazon, do they support their own terms and conditions? If this yahoo were to file a claim, would Amazon likely rule in your favor? I ask only because ebay/half.com is notorious for screwing sellers over. Had a friend that sold on ebay and the buyer said they never received the item. Seller had the tracking number and signature, yet ebay ruled in the buyer's favor. Not saying mail never gets lost (I have thieving neighbors myself), but it makes very cynical.
          There have been claims filed against us, and we always get tracking and delivery confirmation on packages we send out to defend the claim. We've defended ourselves successfully, and some claims have been denied. Other times, if USPS has lost the package despite the fact that we're not at fault, Amazon will grant the claim, but we aren't held accountable. Amazon, from what I've seen is really fair in their claims investigations.

Comment

I hate books like that. When I used to do trouble receiving I'd get books all the time that were repackaged with some CD or web access code and given a new ISBN that wasn't even in our system, then sent to us under a purchase order for a different packaging configuration. So we'd have to set it up and create a bogus PO to receive it under. (Then the vendor gets slapped with an infraction so you'd think they'd stop doing it. But no.)
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Oh, I SO feel your pain. Our store's policy is not to do upfront exchanges unless there are extenuating circumstances, because chances are good that the SC is just going to keep both items if they get the new one first and our stuff is NOT cheap. Still, they just love to raise holy hell when they find out they are going to have to wait to get another item until the first one is returned, even if they're only returning/exchanging because they don't like what they got or they ordered the wrong thing. "But I won't have it in time for my paaaaaaaarrrtttyyyyy!!!!" "You mean you're going to charge me again???? I can't wait 10 days for my $10,000 credit, do you think I'm made of money?"
              "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Quoth lupo pazzesco View Post

I did a little investigating, and he's a condescending piece of work. His account is a storefront for another bookseller. Ok, sure, fine, whatever. But he's being demanding that we give him every last cent back and some change, because HE read a description wrong and ordered a wrong book, but HIS return policy is so horribly WRONG.

First of all, you have to contact them within 2 days and get permission/authorization to return books, then ship them back within a week, AND get charged a 10% restocking fee (Fun fact!! Directly from Amazon: For used media, defects/damage/material difference should be reported to you within 14 days of receipt and the returned merchandise should still be postmarked within 30 days of shipment. There should be no restocking fee charged if the item is defective/damaged/materially different. - He's charging a restocking fee regardless, and it's indicated in his feedback!) Also, if you don't have permission to return you get walloped with a 40% restocking fee, so if your mail carrier can't deliver/he gets the address wrong/you refuse or change your mind?? Yeah, you lose about half your money.
                People like that ought to have to follow their own return/refund terms when trying to return something they were just planning to resell anyway.

Quoth bainsidhe
                Oh yeah, they bend you way the hell over if you're a seller. What's more, nowadays your poor friend can't even leave negative feedback for the likely scamming buyer.

It's why I refuse to sell anything there any more.
                Last edited by Irving Patrick Freleigh; 05-27-2011, 09:26 AM.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I don't know why, but when I read the thread title I pictured a six foot female bodybuilder acting sucky

I'm an occasional e-bay purchaser and I tend to be careful. I check out the seller beforehand and never buy something that's been listed without pictures. So far, I've had no problems, but you'd never know.....
                  Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Comment

Seller had the tracking number and signature, yet ebay ruled in the buyer's favor.
                    How long ago was this? I had this happen to me and eBay ruled in my (the seller's) favor. And if they didn't, I would have appealed the heck out of that!
                    "You are beginning to damage my calm."

Comment

Ok, so bit of an update on this one.

Grabbed the mail delivery from yesterday to process returns, and guess what I found? A package containing this guy's book and the packing list. He sent everything he was supposed to for the refund of the book cost, as I told him he had to. Yeah, he waited over a month to send it back, but hey, whatever, I'll be nice.

Then I open the packing list so I can access his order number and process the refund.

Now, you've got the book cost (subtotal) of, let's say, $33. We charge $3.99 for standard, media mail shipping, which usually covers the total cost to send the book, plus handling.

This doof, despite being told he was ONLY getting the book cost refund back, no return shipping, no concessions, had handwritten in the bottom of the page: "+ $4.82 media mail return shipping"

And done the math for us, being oh so helpful.

So,

$33.00
                      $3.99
                      + $4.82
                      = $41.81

and he circled the total several times.

Even better? The media mail label shows it cost him $2.76 to send the book back. Where in the hell is he getting his numbers?

I did a partial refund on amazon, for $33, with a memo to seller and buyer: "Customer returned item for refund of book cost, as per communication via Amazon messaging"

Now lets see if he tries to file a claim, shall we...?

Comment

Maybe he was trying to get reimbursed for first class shipping and hoped you wouldn't notice? I've had people try to pull that before.

I had a sale on another site where a buyer made a claim for a "fake" item (I later discovered--after refunding for the item price--that his "testing"* damaged the item to where I cannot resell it). He demanded I sent a prepaid FedEx call tag to his email...no.

* I don't think this guy even knew what he was testing for, and was just looking for a creative way to claim buyer's remorse.

I sent it in a Priority flat rate box for $5 (my stated shipping cost). He returned it first class which was $7-something. It's clear in my policies that return shipping is the responsibility of the buyer unless we've made other arrangements through the official site messaging (which he never did, possibly because the site archives the messages so there would be evidence if he tried to pull a fast one).

Item=$30
                        Shipping=$5 (nonrefundable and he knew this)
                        Return shipping (also his responsibility)=$7 (why would you spend MORE to send it back)
                        Some fee he pulled out of his ass=$7 (never did figure out what this was, cost of the tools he broke testing it maybe?)

Total refund demand $50

So this guy wanted me to pay him. Sorry, not happening; if anything, I should have charged him a damage fee.
                        Last edited by Dreamstalker; 06-17-2011, 10:50 PM.
                        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                          People like that ought to have to follow their own return/refund terms when trying to return something they were just planning to resell anyway.
                          Oh hell yes. Shoulda quoted him back his own return policy word for word.

Comment

OH I can't wait to hear what he does next
                            I am evil, I should change my middle name legally TO evil, I'm proud of my evilness! Makes life fun! bwhaha

Comment

I also can't wait to see what he does; this should be good
                              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Working...
                              X