X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Even Club Parties Have SCs

Hey... Miss me?

As many of the old-timers know I throw all-ages club parties for the 15-18 y/o set and have for about 6 years now. We feature drag queens, live DJ sets, and even had a band at our last event. There's been various ridiculousness over the years... Like the kid that jumped off our smoking patio at the last event and broke his ankle and then expected US to do something about it???

Here's a little background to how our club party staffing works. Because we're a small not-for-profit org. We all wear many hats.

As most of you would assume; I take the photos at the events... But I also run security, help do set up and break down of all the decor and DJ equipment, work the cashbox... You name it: I've done it.

During the last event - we hadn't even been open an hour when I get the news that somebody had puked alllll over the women's washroom. I go to the front of the bar and they're on minimal staff - ie: just the bartender. Which meant I had to clean up all the yack which covered the front hall and the entrance to the bathroom. I guess I could be thankful that they attempted to get to the bathroom... :P

Then as we were letting people into the event, we had three patrons that claimed my co-conspirator whom I host the parties with said that they could get in for free. We always have a guest list and he hadn't provided me with one - so I said no - they couldn't get in. They persist. I phone Alex and he says yes... BUT they have to wait until he gets there to verify their ID. They whine and bitch and moan and I say there's nothing I can do and leave.

An hr later I found them in the party and Alex was still elsewhere, running errands, getting prepped, etc... I asked them how they got into the party without Alex there and they whined and said it was cold out and they didn't want to wait, so they paid to get in and now Alex owed them money.

Alex being the consumate professional - when presented with this information when he arrived - brushed them off and said "I have a party to throw. You were asked to wait. You didn't. I don't owe you a dime." and walked away.

Then during the drag show we had a severely drunk patron not just weaving aimlessly onto the stage but getting in the way of the performer. After gently suggesting that he get out of the way several times. We decided that it was time to get a little more forceful. So I took it upon myself to remove him as my security designation would suggest. I grabbed the back of his sweat shirt and shoulders to remove him to the side so the performance could continue. In his drunken state he resists and all 125 lbs of him dragged me to the floor as we slipped in a puddle of beer. I fall... HARD on my knee, my elbow AND... Yep.. You guessed it... My camera.

So after taking the little shithead outside for some air and a talking to - we explain to him what's happened and that in the struggle he broke my camera when we fell. He agrees to help me purchase a new lens and the situation is forgotten.

Fast forward to a few days ago when I catch him online on facebook. He's been one of our regular patrons for several years now - and I found it annoying that he'd been avoiding me. So I mention the camera and he goes off on me. Says that nobody saw the struggle and that I'm a liar just trying to get money out of him.

I explain to him that I have no reason to lie - that there was several witnesses - and that he'd already agreed to pay for the new lens. Which will cost me AT LEAST $250 before taxes..

The bitch of this is - now that my camera's out of commission - I'm getting freelance bookings like mad. *sigh*

You might mention to him that it would behoove him to pay that more quickly because if it winds up becoming an issue in court he'd likely have to pay for any lost jobs as a result.
    "Oh, the strawberries don't taste as they used to and the thighs of women have lost their clutch!"

Comment

Don't you have some sort of event insurance to cover that sort of thing?

No idea about the laws where you live, but under German law, you might actually be SOL on that count. Trying to exercise security duties while carrying expensive electronic equipment not relevant to the duties at hand, drunken resist, puddle of beer... accident.

As I said, don't know if that applies to you, but you might wanna check with your insurance company to see if they won't pay for the lens. After all, you carried it for work reasons, and it was damaged in a work-related incident.
      You gotta polish a memory like a stone. Chip off the parts that remind you it was just a game. Work it until it's indistinguishable from any other memory.

Comment

If this is a party for the 15 to 18 YO crowd, how can there be drinking? (unless this original post is from a country where that is legal, in which case, never mind...)
        Last edited by Enjis; 05-31-2011, 12:46 AM.
        I no longer fear HELL.
        I work in RETAIL.

Comment

Quoth Enjis View Post
          If this is a party for the 15 to 18 YO crowd, how can there be drinking? (unless this original post is from a country where that is legal, in which case, never mind...)
          LOL the bar has a restaurant designation so underagers are allowed. No i dont have insurance for my camera. My co-conspirator said he'd pay for a new lens. But bottom line its the principle of the thing. He broke it being a dipshit. He promised to pay for repairs. Its actually cheaper to get a new lens. Now he's reneging sayin he never had part in breaking it in the first place and refusing to pay. If he said he couldnt afford it or if he wrked out a payment plan or split it three ways with alex and me. But its the fact he's calling me a liar i have a problem with.

Comment

But the underagers aren't drinking...right?

Comment

Quoth GuardingYourLife View Post
              But the underagers aren't drinking...right?
              Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Whether or not they're drinking at the event, I promise you, a good portion of them are drinking. The problem is, at that age, most of them don't know how to handle their liquor, due to inexperience. (Yeah, there are people who are older who can't handle their liquor either, but I'm talking about as a group in general.)

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
              Still A Customer."

Comment

The venue should have accident insurance on it specifically for this type of thing (because drunks seemingly love to break things) so your camera should be covered under that. If there is no insurance... good luck if anyone ever gets seriously injured at an event.
                Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Comment

This confuses me. Where I live, if you throw an event like that, you are responsible for all the minors there. It doesn't matter if you're not giving them alcohol-- if you suspect that they are already drunk, you can't let them in, and if you suspect they're ducking out to drink, then letting them back in, you're almost as responsible as if you handed them the alcohol.
                  We have a responsibility for all drunken people on property we own or are operating events out of, whether they got the alcohol from us or not...and therefore a responsibility (legally) to call the cops on drunken minors, not continue to allow them to party under our watch.
                  Must be different where you are.
                  Of course, doesn't change the fact that it sucks about your camera.

Comment

Working...
                  X