This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I love nervous breakdowns

Well it finally happened today. I got so upset by an SC that I ended up leaving my department for about 20 minutes and having a minor breakdown in the privacy of my truck. First and foremost, I'd like to ask that no one turn this into a Sudafed debate; someone has already started a discussion on Fratching that can be found here - http://fratching.com/showthread.php?t=3981

SC approaches my counter asking about Sudafed for her daughter, "But I don't know which kind, but I have her on the phone, so here, you can talk to her!" Um, no. I politely decline, as we have been explicitly told not to talk on customers' phones. I'm feeling uncomfortable about this sale already, so I ask how old her daughter is.

SC: "She's twenty."

SGA: "I'm sorry, but you're not allowed to purchase the product for anyone over the age of 18."

SC: "Well then it's for me, I'm here so you can sell it to me with my ID."

SGA: "I'm sorry, but you've already told me it's for your daughter and I can't legally sell to you with that knowledge."

She then spouted off something no doubt containing the words "Ridiculous" and I apologized and explained again that it's federal law. Cue SC stomping away screaming into cell phone. "Now look, look what you've done, you've gone and fucked it up, if you'd have just told me which one it was instead of me trying to give her the phone, I could have bought it!"

I think nothing of it until a few minutes later when she comes over and demands the store manager. Aww, fuck. I was so close. SM wasn't in today so I got a co-manager instead. When CO arrived, customer told her that I was a rude bitch who wouldn't let her buy medicine for her sick, sick, sixteen year old daughter. As she said the 'age' to the manager, she shot a smug "Nya nya, told ya so!" look at me and I saw red.

I tried to tell the manager that she told me her daughter was twenty, but since no one else heard it, it was my word against SC's, who by this time is screaming at the top of her lungs that I am incredibly rude, a bitch, full of shit, and had no business being behind the counter dealing with customers. Because I was 'rude right from the start' because I wouldn't take the phone. The stupid manager at least DID back me up on this one; we're not allowed to talk on cell phones while on the clock, no matter whose it is. I also had the pharmacist on duty there with me, who was doing his damndest to try and back me up while remaining polite. He ended up taking a lot of SC's shit and abuse, too, as she accused him of 'giving her a problem' and she acted like we were 'giving her a hard time' for fun. Meanwhile a line is piling up as it's the weekend and we work with a small crew on weekends: One pharmacist, one cashier (in this case, me), and two technicians. Since this particular pharmacist isn't a manager, he was eventually bullied by the CO into authorizing the sale. Both his and my names have been taken down, as well as a detailed written account of how rude we were After I got rid of her, the CO asked if I was ok and thanked me for doing my job. WTF, whatever you spineless coward. Technically, I'm pretty sure we just broke a federal law. But it's ok to break the law so long as you're turning around and bending over for the almighty customer over a $3.12 box of decongestant.

I don't think I've ever been so angry and frustrated in my life, it was to the point where my hands were shaking and I wasn't really functioning coherently. I thought I'd be ok taking the line that had formed after this stupid bitch pulled her hissy fit and left, but it was no good. I turned around and one of the techs asked if I was ok, I shook my head and asked if she'd watch the register for me and she said no problem, the other one said to take as long as I needed. I went to the parking lot, cranked up the a/c in my truck, and sat there for about a quarter of an hour and vented to a couple of friends via text. They both work in the store too so they were pretty understanding. Oh yeah, I also ended up puffing on my inhaler too, since my asthma acted up for the first time in over a year.

I've seen a lot of hissy fits pitched over the damn sudafed products, and the worst of them are always, ALWAYS parents of grown ass fucking children. Maybe your kid is unemployed. And yeah, I get it that they're sick. But in the grand scheme of things, I really don't care, I just don't. Bring them with you or give them the money to buy their own damn drugs, they're not little babies anymore! I wish these fucking helicopter parents of adult children would cut the apron strings/umbibical cord/what have you and make these people GROW THE FUCK UP. I feel bad for the mother of a small child squealing in pain from a toothache or ear infection. I feel bad for the kid, too. I really don't have much sympathy for a middle-aged drama queen making a scene in the pharmacy because their college student has a stuffy nose! This one was doing her best to get me fired and paint me in the worst possible light. Of course no one in their right minds would believe it, let alone anyone on my pharmacy crew, but that doesn't take away from the fact that this horrible bitch downright LIED about me and then accused me of telling lies and called me all sorts of names. It just makes me so angry! And I'm also angry that I actually had to give in and take a few minutes since I can usually tough my way through it.

The pharmacy manager actually did come in later in the day to do scheduling and he was hardly pleased when he heard about what happened.

After I'd been sitting outside for a while, my phone was ringing and it was the pharmacist on duty. I didn't answer since I couldn't quite trust myself to actually speak without crying, so I just started heading on in, thinking he was upset with me for taking so long. Turns out he was just worried about if I was alright or not, and told me not to feel bad and that he was just as pissed off about it as I was. The fact that our meek, mellow pharmacist used the word 'pissed' and even patted me on the back (he never touches people) says enough about how he was feeling, since he only uses swear words once in a blue moon.

So, sudafed bitch Mommy, I hope you're happy. You made an already hellish day as bad as you possibly could and told lies about me to cover up your own stupidity, and you got your way. You got a fucking box of generic sudafed for your useless idiot daughter. You got a manager to make us break store rules and break the law. You tore me down in front of three of my closes colleagues and about ten or so customers and basically brought the pharmacy to a standstill for at least ten minutes. You made me feel two inches tall and cry at work, are you happy? Does it feel good to falsely accuse someone and try to get them fired? I guess I shouldn't feel to ill towards you, since the satisfaction you garnered from this episode today is probably the only happiness you ever feel in your self-centered, pathetic, joyless little life. But nonetheless, I'm a big believer in Karma, and I hear she's not a nice host.
    The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Don't get so upset over it. You did nothing wrong and it's not worth it.

Comment

Ugh. What a total raging bitch.

I second the motion: you did nothing wrong, so try to let it roll off your back. She is not worth the stress you are enduring. Shout a hearty, "fuck you bitch!" in her general direction and put her out of your mind.
      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I can't fix the past, but I can suggest something for the future. Should such a raging hosbeast ever try that again, get out a piece of paper and a pen, and begin writing the following. Fill in the blanks as appropriate, change ages where appropriate, etc. Inform the manager (and the customer) that, unless the manager signs off on this, no sale will be occurring. As an added bonus, if the manager attempts to do anything, you have a copy of the written documentation to present to whatever people need to read it to reverse any punishment.

I, ___________, have been informed by ShinyGreenApple that the customer, _________, informed ShinyGreenApple that Sudafed is being purchased for her 20 year old daughter. I am aware that selling this medication to the customer after ShinyGreenApple has been informed of this is in violation of federal law and am willing to accept the consequences, whatever they might be.

i, _________, being the manager on duty at the store, am ordering ShinyGreenApple to sell this medication to _______ under penalty of possible termination of employment, and ShinyGreenApple must be held blameless for any issues that arise by conducting this illegal sale.

Signed: _________ Date: ________

Comment

Quoth Pedersen View Post
          I can't fix the past, but I can suggest something for the future. Should such a raging hosbeast ever try that again, get out a piece of paper and a pen, and begin writing the following. Fill in the blanks as appropriate, change ages where appropriate, etc. Inform the manager (and the customer) that, unless the manager signs off on this, no sale will be occurring. As an added bonus, if the manager attempts to do anything, you have a copy of the written documentation to present to whatever people need to read it to reverse any punishment.

I, ___________, have been informed by ShinyGreenApple that the customer, _________, informed ShinyGreenApple that Sudafed is being purchased for her 20 year old daughter. I am aware that selling this medication to the customer after ShinyGreenApple has been informed of this is in violation of federal law and am willing to accept the consequences, whatever they might be.

i, _________, being the manager on duty at the store, am ordering ShinyGreenApple to sell this medication to _______ under penalty of possible termination of employment, and ShinyGreenApple must be held blameless for any issues that arise by conducting this illegal sale.

Signed: _________ Date: ________
          I absolutely agree with this. And with that sale, I think it's time to call the....wouldn't it be the FDA in this case?

Comment

Wait, the manager forced you to make the sale?

That may be something to bring up to the corporation if you think it wont' get you in trouble.

I thought the pharmacy was outside of their control because of the potential for legal issues, such as... forcing an illegal sale etc?

Comment

I thought the pharmacy was outside of their control, too. I suspect we haven't heard the end of this one, and I doubt it'll be me or my weekend manager who get in trouble for it. The pharmacy manager came in later that day to do scheduling (and I swear he LIVES in this place!) and generally chat with us and he wasn't pleased in the least. I hope he brings it up to someone. As far as his management and customer feedback, we're the top pharmacy in our store's district. This was utter bullshit and shouldn't have happened.

It's just been a bad week for us. The tech who covered for me while I had my meltdown outside said she got angry earlier that day, too. Someone approached her at the counter and said "Well I'm GLAD they switched out pharmacists for the weekend! That other pharmacist here is awful."

Thinking the lady was talking about Crotchety Pharmacist, tech got her to give her a physical description. Turns out she was talking about our super wonderful manager. "He is so godawful STUPID!" It turns out she had asked him for a consultation about jock itch and he took her to the foot care aisle and recommended the fungus treatments sold there. She insisted to the tech that he was incredibly stupid because in order to treat jock itch, it has to say "for jock itch" on the package. Tech just told her to have a nice day and walked away, she looks up to Manager as a mentor and he's generally very well liked by us and everyone who knows him. It astounds me how people will approach these pharmacists with their years of expensive education and experience and then scoff at the advice they get.
              The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

Quoth Hermione View Post
                I absolutely agree with this. And with that sale, I think it's time to call the....wouldn't it be the FDA in this case?
                DEA actually.
                They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I'm so sorry you had to endure that. Here's praying for kharma (sp?) to deliver the stupid mother a curve ball.

Comment

People can be such raging assholes, especially when they're too stupid to plan ahead. I'm sorry you had to go through that, sorry your manager caved in to the SC, and sorry about the breakdown. (I've had those before too, it's no fun to lose control like that.)

I really hope there are no repercussions over this.
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I feel ya on this one. To me the stress isnt caused by being bitched at and all the lies, its not being able to do anything about it because of fear of getting fired. Its to damn hard to find work right now to risk losing the job we have.

If I ever suddenly get rich Im going to proceed to the biggest asshole customer I can find that I know will bitch about something pointless and then let them have a verbal assault so vengeful that they will feel the wrath of all those who haunt these forums. It wouldnt be hard to come up with things to say either as I and all of you have a backlog of things we have thought up after/during our past encounters with them.

Comment

The manager that made that call should be the one to do the sale. That way you don't get in trouble for breaking Federal laws.
                        Out of retail!

Comment

Not trying to get into Fratching turf here, but I say screw Karma. Let's just get a couple of sledgehammers and rebalance that b*tch's universe ourselves
                          Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Comment

Huh... I think that may be a state law where you are, because we're only required to verify age, address and have them sign off on all pseudo-ephedrine sales up in Maine.

Doesn't justify the manager essentially forcing you to break the law, though >: ( Nor does it excuse the raging bitchitude of that hose beast. *hands chocolate*
                            I have CDO. It's kinda like OCD, but the letters are where they should be!

After Tuesday, even the calendar goes W T F...

Comment

It has to be a weird state law where the ShinyGreenApple lives, since Mr. Mis buys mine all the time without a problem. The pharmacist even helped him find the best one for my symptoms.

ShinyGreenApple. don't let that stupid bitch get to you. She is not worth it. Go have some yummy chocolate and push her out of your mind.
                              Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

Working...
                              X