• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wherein Things Get Figured Out

Still a bit on the lean side as I have to trim quite a bit now. ><

Hot Tips

SC: “I just figured something out!”

…..This proclamation worries me. Do you mean figured out as in “I finally figured out how pants work” or figured out as in “I finally figured out that the president of France is one of the lizard people”.

( He is. )

SC: “Like, patterns and mathematics, the way you can catch every single serial killer on the planet Earth!”

What, with math? Of course! If there’s one thing that can prevent homicide, it’s Algebra.

SC: “I know they follow a certain pattern. All the people they catch are already on file.”

I for one am not following your particular pattern here. But I am afraid to ask you to elaborate.

SC: “So I know this, if you were to find all registered sex offenders and get all the DNA samples of all of them. Give them an injection into their spinal column that you can follow through a satellite.”

…Tha….wait, what? I don’t see how that even….what does that have to do with…..dammit man, why do you do this? So the plan to catch every serial killer in the world is to cheek swab every sex offender than implant them with GPS? That’s it? That’s the entire plan? How does that help? I mean not all serial killers are sex offenders and not all sex offenders are serial killers. I’m also pretty sure the court can’t order you to get a TomTom grafted to your spine. I think the best you can hope for is a lovely ankle bracelet.

The most unsettling part about all of this, is that this was clearly a “Eureka!” moment for you.

Yep, That's All I Do Here

SC: “Oh, did I get you out of bed?”

Oh yeah, totally. Once everyone else leaves I just string a hammock between the pillar and the supervisor’s desk then go straight to bed. You’re just lucky the call bing woke me up. Otherwise I just sleep straight through every single shift. Then I somehow manage to get up at 5:45am sharp right before the first operator arrives so I can dismantle my sleeping arrangements. It wasn’t easy getting a hammock in here you know. It was too conspicuous to just bring one in. So I had to make one from staples, tape and napkins. For my next project I’m planning on stapling together a tent with paper scraps from the recycling bin and plastic straws I'm smuggling in from 7/11.

All You Have To Do Is Ask

Me: “And how many tickets would you like?”
    SC: “3”
    Me: “Alright-“
    SC: “3 lucky ones.”

Ah, right, sorry! Silly me. Here I was about to grab you 3 of the regular tickets which we normally only print during the Witching Hour with ink made from the ashes of cremated monkey paws. Sorry about that. I’ll get you 3 of the other ones that just use regular printer ink. Not quite as fancy, but I promise we do keep a rabbit’s foot on top of the toner cartridge.

Curveball

Me: “And your name please?”
    SC: “….Uhhh…….”

Yes, sorry, that was a bit of a curveball wasn’t it? My apologies. Please, take a minute if you have too. This is a hard one.

SC: “Shannon.”
    Me: “How do you spell that, please?”
    SC: “….S-H………uh….”

The hits just keep on coming, don’t they? Look, let me level with you here. It’s only going to get harder from here on out. In fact you’re still only on the first hurdle. Heck, not even the first hurdle. You’re basically face down in the dirt at the starting line still. Twitching spastically and trying to draw a doggy in the dirt with your finger. This truly does not bode well for you, or me for that matter. Please, reconsider this course of action. I will think no less of you if you just hang up and walk away while you still can. I will, however, think less of you the longer this goes on and I really don’t think much of you to begin with. My opinion of you was dangerously low to begin with. I’m going to need a shovel if you insist on continuing.

What?

Me: “And your phone number, please?”
    SC: “My mother’s maiden name?”

…....Sure, why not. I'm too tired to argue. Heck, just tell me whatever comes to mind. Ignore what I’m actually asking, it’s not important. Toss whatever you want out there. I’ll figure it out. Just as long as you’re having fun, that’s the important part!

Lord Stanley

They are quite lively out there this evening, with good reason I suppose. However, the level of rabblerousing by Canucks fans outside this evening has forced me to ask questions that do not typically cross my mind on the way to work. Such as “Why does this man have a beer in one hand and a lightsaber in the other?”.

( To which the answer, I assume, is “Living the dream”. )

Spare Tire

SC: “I just bought a pair of Nike’s the other day.”

Congratulations. What precisely do you require my assistance with, if you already possess the item you desired? I should point out that regardless of the difficulty you are having attempting to tie them, I cannot provide tech support for a Nike product. You will have to inquire with Nike directly if you need step by step directions in tying your shoes.

SC: “and I, uh, lost one. So I wanna order another pair.”

You…..lost one? And now you want to order another pair? Bravo. No, truly, I must applaud your accomplishments here. I mean, you literally received your shoes 48 hours ago and have already lost a shoe. Not both shoes, as that would be somewhat excusable as perhaps you’re not quite sure where you left them or something. But just one shoe. Losing just one shoe takes effort.

Well, look on the bright side, now you’ll have three shoes. So if you lose one, you still have a spare! It may not be the right foot, but I get the feeling you probably don’t wear shoes on the right feet anyhow. So having two lefts or two rights likely won’t be much of a problem.

Meh

SC: “If you just want cash for the grand prize, how much do you get?”
    Me: “The cash option is 1 million.”
    SC: “Oh that’s ok, that’s not bad.”

My favourite part about this is that by your tone of voice it sounds like you’re seriously expecting to win it. You’re not calling because you’re curious about the prizes, you’re calling to find out what sort of budget you have for your shopping spree tomorrow. You’re quite confidently putting the cart before the horse. In fact you’ve got the cart so far ahead of the horse its technically in a different time zone waiting for its connection flight.

I also like how 1 million is “Not bad”. You sounded momentarily elated, but then suddenly downgraded your assessment to depressed “Not bad”. As if 1 million dollars is good enough, I guess, if you have to take it. I mean it’s such an inconvenience, but if you insist I could take that 1 million dollars off your hands. I suppose. If you really don’t want it.

I Wonder Why

SC: “This is like the 7th time I’ve called! Nobody calls me back!”

Perhaps someone in the office is actually paying attention to the time stamps and has noted that you have called 7 times in the dead of night from Louisiana about a flier you got in the mail 3 days ago. If I were them, that would definitely land you on some sort of watch list. Likely one that includes express instructions to sales reps that if they must visit you in person, they do not make eye contact nor at any time allow themselves to be lured inside of your home. If possible, they should also travel in pairs with a “safety buddy” while on your property.

Sigh

Me: “And your postal code, please?”
    SC: “I don’t know.”
    Me: “………..”
    SC: “………..”

I appreciate your honestly, yet lament your total lack of foresight.

I Tried

Me: “How may I help you?”
    SC: “I’m thinking here.”

I think history has proven that despite my best efforts I cannot in any way shape or form help any of you think better. I’ve tried, believe me I’ve tried. I’ve tried coaching, coaxing, bribing, using small words, drawing diagrams and a variety of other methods to reach callers that should rightly embarrass both of us in their simplicity. Yet it has, thus far, all been for naught. So whilst I hear your earnest plea for assistance, I fear I can be of no help.

One Last Note

To the disgruntled Bruins fan that tore down ( and up ) our building's Canuck sign in the middle of the night then tossed it on the ground: Fark you, and your jersey.

annnd rest. -.-
    Last edited by Gravekeeper; 06-06-2011, 06:37 PM.

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
    For my next project I’m planning on stapling together a tent with paper scraps from the recycling bin and plastic straws I'm smuggling in from 7/11.
    If you ever figure out a way to mass market such an item, I just might be interested. But you can't cheap out and use straws from some 7/11 knock off.
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I got all the way to the bottom of the page before i realised nobody had replied.

If it wasn't for the distractingly entertaining stories i could have been first reply!
      Last edited by Rapscallion; 06-06-2011, 10:48 PM. Reason: Trimming ~ R

Comment

Still a bit on the lean side as I have to trim quite a bit now. ><
        Biting my tongue so as to not get in trouble.....

SC: “Like, patterns and mathematics, the way you can catch every single serial killer on the planet Earth!”

SC: “I know they follow a certain pattern. All the people they catch are already on file.”

SC: “So I know this, if you were to find all registered sex offenders and get all the DNA samples of all of them.

Give them an injection into their spinal column that you can follow through a satellite.”
        Ignoring the craziness that followed this, I am going to address this part logically, something your caller seemed unable to do. As someone who has read a lot about serial killers, and who did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, I feel I have the authority to comment on this. Definitely more than this whack job, anyway.

He is partly correct in that most serial killers were on file in some way before they were caught for their murders. But "on file" merely means that they had had some run-in with the law or had someone give the police a tip about them. And since that run-in oftentimes was very minor, and a lot of people are "informed on" to the police whether or not they have actually done something, this is meaningless. You know how many people are "on file" Millions. Tons of them.

Even if you limited this "list" to only violent offenders, we already have two problems. One, there are WAY too many violent offenders, and two, most serial killers are not in the system for violent offenses before they are caught for their major crimes. Even if we limited to just the sex offenders, the same problems exist: there are tons of sex offenders, the vast majority of which never become serial killers, and most serial killers are not registered sex offenders. Sure, they may have been committing the acts that would make them registered sex offenders, but they have done so without getting caught.

Even if you ignored the impossible logistics detailed above, it is not true that ALL serial killers are "in the system" or "on file." Dennis Rader, the infamous BTK killer, was not on file, was not in the system, did not have any sort of criminal record, and was not in any way on the radar of the BTK task force or any other police agency until made the error that resulted in his capture.

I could go on, but you get the idea. Even if his brain was firing on all cylinders, which it most clearly is not, this guy's idea for how to get "all the serial killers," which on the surface might seem logical to a lot of rational people, simply would be unworkable, ineffective, incorrect, and logistically impossible.

“Why does this man have a beer in one hand and a lightsaber in the other?”.
        Because he can, man. Because he can.

You…..lost one?

Losing just one shoe takes effort.
        I've actually done this. Not withing 48 hours as your slack-jawed caller did, but I have lost just one shoe. Now, to be fair, it wasn't my fault. At least, I don't think it was my fault. What I believe happened is this: my sandals were in the floor well in front of the passenger seat, and I gave a friend a ride. At some point after that ride, I noticed that in the area where there had been two sandals previously, now there was but just one. And though I searched my truck top to bottom and inside out, I never did find the other one. So I assumed at the time (and still assume to this day) that my friend unwittingly and accidentally kicked one of the sandals out the door as they were getting in or out of my truck. Either that, or they had a secret foot fetish and furtively stole my sandal to bring back to their horde of footwear trophies.

Personally, I'm going to stick to believing the first version. The mental images are far less disturbing.
        Last edited by Rapscallion; 06-06-2011, 10:51 PM. Reason: Trimming ~R

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
        Still A Customer."

Comment

Why does this man have a beer in one hand and a lightsaber in the other?
          If you have to ask, you've presumably never been there. Sometimes it just makes sense.

Comment

Obviously.

Lord Stanley

They are quite lively out there this evening, with good reason I suppose. However, the level of rabblerousing by Canucks fans outside this evening has forced me to ask questions that do not typically cross my mind on the way to work. Such as “Why does this man have a beer in one hand and a lightsaber in the other?”.

Because he is the Jedi Drunken Master.

Comment

Quoth The Electric Fetus
              mind you, their TALENT is still in question.............................
              Seriously, drop this topic please. Enough damage has been done as is. I'm already pruning out a third of what I normally post as a result.

Comment

Seriously, drop this topic please. Enough damage has been done as is. I'm already pruning out a third of what I normally post as a result.
                Just hit the report button on any post demanding it and we'll do the trimming. That's if I don't see them first.

Rapscallion

Comment

For my next project I’m planning on stapling together a tent with paper scraps from the recycling bin and plastic straws I'm smuggling in from 7/11.
                  Here's your tent:Click image for larger version

Name:	Straw tent.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	2029899
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Me: “And your phone number, please?”
                    SC: “My mother’s maiden name?”
                    Going by the weirdness factor of many of your callers, the possibility exists that in this case, the two things are the same.

Perhaps he should check with the guy who had the beer and the light sabre. Or look around in the area where the jerkwads tossed the Canucks sign.
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

As John Lennon once sang, it's easy if you try.

Back when I was a wee Irvling, my family and I were going to go...somewhere to do...something. My parents told my sister and I to stay someplace, away from the vegetable garden, which was a muddy mess.

So--get ready for about the most predictable of plot twists here--my sister and I ventured into the muddy vegetable garden, where my leg sunk about knee-deep in the mud.

My parents had to get me out of there. My shoe stayed behind in the mud when I was pulled out--for a couple days until they felt like digging it out. Of course that shoe was ruined, and one shoe isn't much good unless you have only one foot.

My folks still tell that story to this day.

Knowing your callers, I'm sure that one picked a particularly stupid way to lose that one shoe.
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Thank Deity you are back GK !!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Oh yeah, totally. Once everyone else leaves I just string a hammock between the pillar and the supervisor’s desk then go straight to bed....It wasn’t easy getting a hammock in here you know. It was too conspicuous to just bring one in. So I had to make one from staples, tape and napkins. For my next project I’m planning on stapling together a tent with paper scraps from the recycling bin and plastic straws I'm smuggling in from 7/11.
                          If the above were true, it would be epically awesome.
                          I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

If you were in the UK and they were wearing a chef's hat I'd assume they were one of the Jedi Chefs : http://www.jedichefs.com/index.html
                            I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                              My folks still tell that story to this day.
                              Ah, yes. The stories your family won't let go.

There are quite a few in my family, but the one that won't die about me losing something has nothing to do with a shoe. (I lost the sandal when I was an adult.) No, that involves me as a very young Jester (six or seven or eight or so) managing to lose an entire shovel. Not a small, plastic, kid's shovel you might find at a beach. No, an entire, full-size, adult-used, Home Depot-esque snow shovel.

Yeah, I still get shit for that one. Not nearly as much shit as my father rained down on my head the day it happened, of course! (Where DO you think I get my capacity for anger from, anyway?) But shit nonetheless!

(For those thinking that the above implies violent beatings, get that right out of your head. It didn't happen. My father could get very angry, very loud, and yell his lungs out at us. And he often did, sometimes appropriately, sometimes not. However, he never once struck us in anger, outside of appropriate and well-deserved spankings. Well, other than when he and my older sister got into it physically when she was a teenager, but that was a mutual pushing match more than anything. And I've mentioned how pleasant of a person SHE is.)

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                              Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                              X