This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are you telling me thus?

I hate incongruous statements. I am referring to when customers just say things that can't possibly mean anything to me since they're discussing their unique situation and expect me to go ought I get it.

For instance:

"We have 4 bottles of water and 2 people!" (usually accompanied by laughter)
    And? That means nothing. It all depends on how much you drink because I also get:
    "We only have 4 bottles of water! There are 2 people in this house!"

Or

"Of course we're not open at *any conceivable hour of the day*, we're a business!" Hate to break it to you bit we serve many businesses and they have different hours so "we're a business" means nothing. Just like "we're a Salon!" Is just not going to mean that your driver automatically knows that you are closed on Monday.

Along those same lines, why do people constantly feel the need to say things like, "I've run a business for 150 years and I know how it ought to work, why can't you do it the same way?" Ummm...maybe because we're a high end home and garden store and you are a CPA? Totally different businesses...just sayin'.
    "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Quoth BeenThereDoneThat View Post
      Along those same lines, why do people constantly feel the need to say things like, "I've run a business for 150 years and I know how it ought to work, why can't you do it the same way?" Ummm...maybe because we're a high end home and garden store and you are a CPA? Totally different businesses...just sayin'.
      Exactly. Ugh. I always get "I work in customer service..." if you're talking about the way you speak to a customer I can agree that that should be universal as far as tone bit other than that you do not work here. I don't care if you work at another water company. I don't care if you you worked here 10 years ago. You know nothing.

Comment

Quoth AquaGirl View Post
        Exactly. Ugh. I always get "I work in customer service..." if you're talking about the way you speak to a customer I can agree that that should be universal as far as tone bit other than that you do not work here. I don't care if you work at another water company. I don't care if you you worked here 10 years ago. You know nothing.
        I'll admit I've used a similar line a few times when I've been given really lousy attitude from someone I was trying to do business with on the phone. I'll ask to speak to a manager and tell them that if I spoke to customers at my job the way their rep just spoke to me, I'd be hearing about it from MY manager, or HR, etc. But I only do that when someone has been really horrible...swearing, hanging up on me, getting snarky from the word "hello"...etc.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
          I'll admit I've used a similar line a few times when I've been given really lousy attitude from someone I was trying to do business with on the phone. I'll ask to speak to a manager and tell them that if I spoke to customers at my job the way their rep just spoke to me, I'd be hearing about it from MY manager, or HR, etc. But I only do that when someone has been really horrible...swearing, hanging up on me, getting snarky from the word "hello"...etc.
          And there I agree. We should be respectful and non confrontational and polite. Im really just referring to when they start trotting out their knowledge of our policies/computer systems when they have no clue.

Comment

Yes, absolutely, the tone and willingness to help should be universal. Also, I do have to admit that even though I've never told a doctor's office staff this, I have worked in a doctor's office with a phenomenal staff and it wasn't that hard to do...when I go to a doctor with rude, impatient, and totally disinterested front office staff, I really want to walk back there and show them how it's done.
            "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Quoth AquaGirl View Post
              And there I agree. We should be respectful and non confrontational and polite. Im really just referring to when they start trotting out their knowledge of our policies/computer systems when they have no clue.
              LOL my insurance agent is one I used to work for. I have been known to sit in the office chatting with a friend who still works there, and have the agent hand me the phone to answer ... and I can still coach someone on working in the programs.

*I have nothing against working in insurance, but I did not want to continue because I dislike cold calling or calling to prescreen. I much preferred working in a call center that handled incoming calls.
              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Working...
              X