X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "You liar! You told me you'd take care of it!!"

Customer I had a couple days ago...

Preface: She originally came up in line to me, asking if she could use her EBT card at our store since we just got groceries and all that fun, fun, FUN stuff ()

I told her that we've been excepting EBT for as long as I could remember/have worked there, and she was surprised. So I told her how I knew some people who used the EBT cash part of their card for non-food items.

She was all: at that.

Anywayssss...

Not long after, she comes up with a shopping cart full of paper towels and a bunch of other stuff. Only food item she got was milk.

Her: Now you told me I could pay for all of this with my EBT card, right? RIGHT?
    Me: Yes, m'am, you can IF you have EBT Cash.
    Her: Okay!

So I ring her up for over fourty dollars worth of stuff, and at first she had no clue how to use her EBT card and I told her that she swipes it, and chooses the EBT Cash option - after MUCH fumbling about on her part, she finally enters her PIN, hits enter and -

Denied. :C

I tell her this, and she gets all upset at me.

"You told me I could use EBT on all of this!"

Note that I mentioned every time that she needed to have EBT CASH. :C

So this goes on a bit longer, each time I'm pretty much, "I'm sorry m'am, I thought you had EBT Cash as well. You told me you had that in addition to EBT Food..."

Then she gestures to everything, asking me what I'm going to do about it all and me, thinking she meant putting it away said, "It's fine, I'll take care of it."

Some more whinging and accusatory, "You TOLD ME I could use my card with this!!!" and I finally get her to tell me she wants her milk. So she pays for that using EBT Food, and all seems well, right?

Of course not!

She ends up coming back over to my lane not five minutes later, wanting to know where the "rest of her stuff is".

I told her that since she couldn't pay for it, that she couldn't have it, but it's fine because I'll put it away for her.

"But you told me you'd take care of it!!" She grabs the paper towels (which couldn't fit in my usual go-back beneath my scanner) and starts taking it, "So I can take it, right?!"

"I meant you didn't have to worry about taking things back. I'm sorry, m'am, but you can't have the items because you didn't pay for it."

"YOU SAID YOU'D TAKE CARE OF IT. I can't see, and I have no money and -"

You get the idea.

Summing it up: Person wants to use EBT Food, tries using EBT cash even though she hadn't applied for it. Gets upset because only thing she can buy is milk, and expects to be able to take the remaining $40+ dollars worth of stuff for free.

Entitlement
    Bitch
    Thief ?

"All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Can't see? Really?
      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Maybe in her world she can do that, NOT in this one...lol.

Comment

She could see well enough to pick out $40 worth of stuff.

I get food stamps because I am flat broke and living on disability while attempting to go to college and find a job at the same time. There are some things I WISH EBT covered, but I keep my mouth shut and follow the rules, because it's food I don't have to scrounge in my pockets for the change to pay for.

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
            Entitlement
            Bitch
            Thief
            When I was at Grocery Store, at least 50% of the customers used EBT. It was a godsend for 99% of those people. They simply wouldn't have been able to get by without it. They did everything they could to learn how the system works, and if they weren't sure, they would ASK.

Like everything else, it's the 1% who are SCs and ruin it for everyone. Let's not turn this into an EBT fratching topic and get it closed.

Comment

Quoth Raveni View Post
              When I was at Grocery Store, at least 50% of the customers used EBT. It was a godsend for 99% of those people. They simply wouldn't have been able to get by without it. They did everything they could to learn how the system works, and if they weren't sure, they would ASK.

Like everything else, it's the 1% who are SCs and ruin it for everyone. Let's not turn this into an EBT fratching topic and get it closed.
              I should have stated my post was directed to this one individual.
              Sorry for any confusion.
              "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

One of my friends has had to go on food stamps in process of a nasty divorce. She's nothing but thrilled with them. So she has to find another source to pay for toilet paper? At least she doesn't have to worry about food to eat!

There are some people who appreciate a gift without complaining about what it's not.

Comment

Quoth bankworking View Post
                  There are some people who appreciate a gift without complaining about what it's not.
                  That goes without saying, never look a gift horse in the mouth. That SC should've listened to when the OP mentioned "EBT Cash" . TBH, it's the first I've heard of that (the term EBT Cash). From what I've heard, years ago you had to use vouchers for food stamps instead of cards.
                  I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                  Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                  Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

I have a friend who has 2 beautiful sons, now grown. After her divorce the ex totally tanked on any form of financial support for her or the boys, so for the 4 years until the youngest got into all day kindergarten she used section 8 housing, food stamps and welfare. Within 1 week of the sprout getting into kindergarten she had a full time job and was looking for a non slum apartment.

And on the other hand, a friend of mine in Germany has a sister who just went out and got pregnant again to extend her benefits

Can't get into fratching discussions about the need to figure out a way to support people who need it legitemately here .... just that I would love to see more people like Sandy in the world and fewer like Claudia.
                    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

When I was a cashier at Wal-Mart, a woman came through my line with nothing but CD's, DVD's, and a few video games (it was Christmas time, I believe). She thought she'd be able to buy all of that with an EBT card.

Comment

Quoth tropicsgoddess View Post
                        That goes without saying, never look a gift horse in the mouth. That SC should've listened to when the OP mentioned "EBT Cash" . TBH, it's the first I've heard of that (the term EBT Cash). From what I've heard, years ago you had to use vouchers for food stamps instead of cards.
                        Yeah, that's what I remembered, too, until I started working where I work now. :C

But it's true... apparently, there are two different options on an EBT card - EBT Food, which is much like what we knew food stamps to be, and EBT Cash which allows people to use it for everything other than food when/if they qualify for it.

I mostly have people coming through my lines using EBT Cash to buy make-up.

Comment

EBT Cash essentially functions like a debit card. You can even get cash back/withdraw the funds for money on hand. In theory, it's meant to be used to help with things like utility payments and the like. In practice, yes, many people use it to buy crap they really don't need.

Like many welfare (and charity) programs it's a good idea in theory but in practice there are too many loopholes. As we can all attest to from this very website!

Comment

So... She thought "I'll take care of that" meant "I'll buy that for you?" As in she actually thought you'd buy her groceries?!
                            Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
                            What's the difference?
                            We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Quoth rose_metal_nz View Post
                              So... She thought "I'll take care of that" meant "I'll buy that for you?" As in she actually thought you'd buy her groceries?!
                              and then had the audacity to complain about it on top of that, as if she was entitled to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X