This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I predict failure in your future.

To the customer who was at my desk today asking for a $125,000 loan to buy a local business:

Let me break down for you all the places where you currently fail, as well as the places where you will likely fail in the future.

You heard that one of the local bars was for sale. "Great!" you thought, "I go drinking here all the time. I can buy the bar, make some money, and get my drinks for free." I'm sure this seemed especially great to you since you just got fired from your last job for being rude to the customers. You told me you expect to be able to pay for the loan from the rent earned on the apartments above the bar. I doubt there's enough income from alcohol sales to pay the rest of the business expenses.

Your "friend" told you that the bar earns enough from summer festivals to pay the loan off by the end of the year. If that were true, why doesn't your "friend" buy the bar? How do you expect to compete with the other five bars in town, all within 3 blocks of each other? I bet you don't know that the bar's checking account has been overdrawn multiple times this past year.

Right now, your only source of income is the allowance your mother gives you out of the social security that she receives on your behalf. A large portion of that allowance goes toward your mortgage, which your mother also co-signed for, since you didn't have any credit at the time. (I got the impression that she just wanted you to move out.) Your savings account has a stipulation on it that both you and your mother need to sign for any withdrawals. If you can't handle your own money, I can't see how you could handle a business' money.

You came into the bank totally unprepared to apply for a loan. You didn't have a purchase agreement. You hadn't even talked seriously to the current owner of the bar. You didn't have a clue what sort of income the bar generates or what level of expenses they have.

You talked about securing the loan with the bar building, but you had no clue what it was worth. Well, I looked up the tax value after you left. It's under $60,000. You said you'd even be willing to do a second mortgage on your house. But your house is only worth $25,000, and there's a $9,000 loan against it now. You're still $49,000 short. There's no way we're giving you that much unsecured, and there's no way the business has that much in assets.

Legally, I can't tell you not to apply for the loan, but there's just no way. Even if I could do the loan, if you think people are going to frequent a bar that you're bartending, you're even more delusional than I thought.

And to top it all off, your breath smelled like chewing tobacco.
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

I just love how most people seem to think that running a business is easy.
    The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself. ~Cicero

See the fuzzy - http://bladespark.livejournal.com/

Comment

I mean, personally, if I was gonna ask for a loan to purchase a business, I would want to prove that I'm the best one to lend the money to... which definitely wouldn't include stank breath and a history of having my mommy holding my hand as a grown adult.

Comment

Quoth spark View Post
        Running a business is easy! Now, running it successfully, that's harder!

Comment

Yeah, he seemed to think his only expense was going to be the loan - no utilities, insurance, taxes, licenses, stock, payroll (unless he was never expecting to take a day off), etc.

Plus I asked him how he was going to structure the business, and he looked at me like I was speaking Klingon. When he said he was going to own the business himself (as a sole proprietership, though he didn't seem to understand the term), I said, "so you're going to be responsible for everything, and you'll be the one sued if somebody hurts themselves while in the bar." It didn't even phase him.

Just a few minutes ago, the guy's father came in and talked to our Branch Manager. He told her that his son had told him that he was buying this bar and that the bank had already agreed to finance it. The Branch Manager couldn't tell him anything, of course, not even that the son had been in. Still, the father told her that his son had "mental problems," and it would be a bad loan. She just told him thanks for the information and that we would need assorted documentation before financing a loan of that nature anyway.
          "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
          -Mira Furlan

Comment

From the description you gave of this guy, something just tells me that he will not be able to get a liquor license.
            Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
            Save the Ales!
            Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

A bar for $125,000???? Hell,my bank'll loan me that tomorrow on my signature!!!

I'm not joking,that amount would barely be a down payment here

I've seen enough of those idiots,like the guy that opened a bar/restaurant,had us play one weekend & loved us so he had us back the next weekend.All week long I looked for ads in the local paper (pre-Net days),nope.We get there & he's got a small portable sign saying "Steaks,Shrimp,Chicken"...that's it,no prices,no mention of a band,I asked him why he didn't advertise.His answer was "Oh,you guys are so good you'll just bring lots of people in!!!"
              "They don't even know we're here!!!"

He went under 6 months later.

(years later) Or the guy that came into our real estate office looking to buy land or a building for a restaurant,so I ask what kind of food....

"Whatever's on sale at the store I guess"

Upon further questioning I find out he thought all he had to do was buy frozen food at the store,nuke it & serve it while only working 2-3 hours a day & he'd get rich "Isn't that what all restaurants do?"
              "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

Damn ...

I actually have a business plan and a fair amount of research done on opening up a MMJ dispensary or alternately a MMJ grow operation once the tides align and I could get financing and the government gets its ducks in a row.
                EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth PatchO'Black View Post
                  Running a business is easy! Now, running it successfully, that's harder!
                  The easiest way to make a small fortune is to start with a big one.
                  Seriously though, tell us Ghel, how quickly did this guy's loan app make it to the magic cylinder (or do you use the confetti maker)?
                  I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                  -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth Frantic Freddie View Post
                    (years later) Or the guy that came into our real estate office looking to buy land or a building for a restaurant,so I ask what kind of food....

"Whatever's on sale at the store I guess"

Upon further questioning I find out he thought all he had to do was buy frozen food at the store,nuke it & serve it while only working 2-3 hours a day & he'd get rich "Isn't that what all restaurants do?"
                    So I wonder what I do the other 10 hours a day I'm working?

Oh, and why am I not rich?
                    "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Quoth spark View Post
                      People always think things like this are easy. Running a business, decorating a cake, building a house, sewing an outfit, whatever. And they always want to start big. Guess they want to have a running start before they hit the wall.
                      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                      My LiveJournal
                      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                        Seriously though, tell us Ghel, how quickly did this guy's loan app make it to the magic cylinder (or do you use the confetti maker)?
                        He never came back. I don't know if he ever talked to the current owner, even. I imagine that if he did, that the owner didn't take his offer seriously.
                        -Mira Furlan

Comment

Sounds like quite a few people I've run across. I really think the people trying to start up their own business tend to be the most delusional. From the small Mary-K start-ups to the "I need $150,000 because I have an idea so many of them seem to think everything about working on their own should be easy as can be.

Even after they've had the business for a while, they tend to be off with their numbers. "Oh, I make $120,000 a year." And what is your taxable income? You know, AFTER all the expenses for the business. This is why we want tax forms. Oh, you manage to expense almost everything? Great for you! But we're trying to see how much of a loan you can afford, AFTER those other costs. Let's see, I don't have to count depreciation expense since that's not out of pocket money, but still it looks like your actual income, pre-tax, is about 15,000 a year. Makes a big difference on how big of loan you can afford. And I'm really going to feel secure about it when you tell me you need the loan because you're having trouble keeping up with your mortgage, but this loan would cover that payment for the next year!

Comment

Quoth bankworking View Post
                            I'm really going to feel secure about it when you tell me you need the loan because you're having trouble keeping up with your mortgage, but this loan would cover that payment for the next year!
                            I thought you had to prove you don't need the money to get a loan.
                            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Working...
                            X