This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonnaroo Past

Some of you might be familiar with the big music festival going on in Tennessee called Bonnaroo. Once a year, a tiny hick town becomes one of the most populated cities in the US. I used to live in a neighboring hick town. I had the misfortune of waiting tables at a tiny Chinese restaurant during Bonnaroo one year.

A lot of people go to Bonnaroo for the music. Yay. That's great. However, those of us from the area know that at least as many go for the open air drug market. (No fratching about what should or shouldn't be here, please. It is what it is and that's all I'm saying.) It made for a lot of spaced out zombies going through our buffet line.

Dude, no one is going to kill you...

Speaking of being high, this one dude got his hands on the wrong stuff. I thought his eyes were going to pop out of his head. He came in glancing all around him really disturbed at all the people at the tables. The hostess (girl of about 16) worried him to death, but he followed her to the table. My inquiry about his beverage of choice left him flustered, and I'm not entirely sure he didn't think the spoons at the buffet were going to attack based on how he responded to them. I'm not sure how he managed to eat, but he did. Funny thing is, he became a regular customer after Bonnaroo. We didn't seem to disturb him so much any more and he even smiled once or twice, but he never did entirely lose that scared rabbit look.

Well, you're not going to get them here!

Pop quiz! It's 9 p.m., you're dressed for clubbing (read not wearing much), and you realize you don't have an ID. Do you:

A: Give it up and go home?
    B: Try to slip in without an ID?
    C: Drop in a random Chinese restaurant in a Walmart plaza to ask about where to get an ID?

If you chose C, you'll fit right in with these girls. Part of me is fascinated by the inevitable leaps of logic that must have been required to determine that this was a good idea. The other part of me really, really doesn't want to know for my own sanity. Also, I have no idea where they thought they were going to find a club. The nearest ones were about an hour away and a much longer drive during Bonnaroo traffic.

In general

A: Stoned people don't tip so well. At least not these stoned people, if they remembered to at all. (Blanket statement. There are always exceptions)
    B: The Bonnaroo crowd really doesn't understand tiny redneck towns. They SHUT DOWN at 10 p.m. on the weekends. Including the restaurant I worked at. All your fussing won't make us stay open later.
    C: No, this crowd isn't any more original than the regular crowd when they look at me and say "You're not Chinese!" No, REALLY??? "I thought they only hired Chinese people at these places!" Um, not like they can refuse me employment on that basis! (That happened at least once a night with the regular crowd.)
    The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

oh god is that why traffic was so bad this afternoon? I thought it was heavy for a friday....

I live in tiny hick COLLEGE town closer to NC....PM me if that sounds close to you.
    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

I'm not living in the area any more, but I'll shoot you a PM. Maybe you're decently close to where I was.
      The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

Comment

Working...
      X