This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verification

We have to verify information at my job. I usually do it at the beginning of a call but if a customer seems impatient or angry I'll skip some of it and work it in at the end when their calm. Most people range from compliant to irritated but understanding. Guy calls in yesterday who is confused.

SC: What do you need?
    Me: May I have your telephone number?
    SC:*gives number*
    Me:This is the account for business?
    SC:Yes.
    Me:I have address as the delivery location?
    SC:yes...
    Me:and address as the mailing location (we do this because we were getting tons of returned mail and people who weren't getting their bills because they assumed we knew their mailing address. If they are the same I just verify they they're both instead of asking 2 questions)
    SC:yes...
    Me:and who am I speaking with?
    SC:Listen all that information is correct. I didn't call about that.
    Me:I understand that sir; we have to ask questions for security purposes when accessing your account. I apologize. How may I help you?
    SC: I didn't call to just tell you that stuff, I need my delivery date.
    Me: oh, ok well delivery is scheduled for today.
    SC: Why didn't you just say that?
    Me: I am sorry sir, I know the verification process can be frustrating. However it really is for your protection.
    SC: I didn't call to verify information! I called to ask you for my delivery day! Can you understand english?
    Me: Most of the time, yes.
    SC:…click

Personally, I'd rather know that the company is making sure everything is correct now than have to call back and correct the information later. I don't like incorrect-information-related surprises.

Comment

Quoth AquaGirl View Post
      SC: I didn't call to verify information! I called to ask you for my delivery day! Can you understand english?
      It depends entirely upon the inebriation level of the person to whom I am speaking.
      Bark like a chicken!

Comment

Quoth AquaGirl View Post
        Me: Apparently better than you do.
        SC:…click
        Fixed that for you.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Hopefully this person is a little more safety conscious when it comes to credit cards and bank accounts...

Comment

Quoth jjc927 View Post
            Hopefully this person is a little more safety conscious when it comes to credit cards and bank accounts...
            Probably not. They (think) they have people to do that for them...namely, US ... They definitely want anyone ELSE who calls in to get the 3rd Degree when calling in, just not themselves...
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I get that all the time. People refuse to verify their information when they order an expensive part. Important information like their shipping address even though they bought something from us months ago.

Don't want to verify the information? Okay, we can use your previous information if you insist, but verification is very important...

Okay fine we'll just use the info on file. The part will be shipping tomorrow.

Your $2000 part got sent to the wrong state and someone else accepted the package and took it?

Why didn't you tell us you moved last week?

It was shipped to the address you insisted it be shipped to. Unfortunately nothing can be done. The product was purchased, shipped, and delivered as per your instructions.

Comment

The phone call could go something like this:

Annoying Customer: When is my part being shipped?
                Worker: Who are you? What are your account details? Where is it being shipped to? We have 10,000+ (number I just pulled out my ass) customers and we don't have caller ID

People like that customer would hate it if you just rang his shops general number said 'your item is being shipped today' without you saying who you were, where you were calling from and what the part was

People annoy me

Comment

Quoth shadowpanda View Post
                  People like that customer would hate it if you just rang his shops general number said 'your item is being shipped today' without you saying who you were, where you were calling from and what the part was
                  If I got someone who did this nonsense (refused to verify himself) on a regular basis, I think I would do just this...Call them up, in my best "gravelly thug voice", say 'your item is being shipped today' to whomever answered, and immediately hang up. Ideally, this would be done from an unlisted/blocked number. If they guess that it was us and call asking what it was about, I'll just tell them: 'We have an employee who doesn't like to verify his info either, so we pair him with customers who do the same We don't know his real name, or where he lives, or how the hell he gets paid...We just call him Bruno because he seems to respond to it more often than not, and we're afraid to call him "Charlotte". He really does seem to enjoy his work, however. '
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth jjc927 View Post
                    Yeah right. People get pissed about having to be verified before we give out account information or do transactions via phone.

Comment

WELL, I get pissed when my cable goes out and since it is in my parents name I have the account number, address, phone number, names, but not the last 4 of the social, which HONESTLY IS FREAKING POINTLESS, I'm not trying to change anything, I'm trying to alert them that my cable modem is out which is an easy fix so my mother doesn't call in screaming to fix her damn internet with no information.

Oddly, I tell them I will be happy to have the primary account holder call in to cancel all services because we will be switching to Dish network, my modem pops back on
                      I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

Most of our customers are fine with me verifying information but some get really impatient about it or just rush through it like their ass is on fire. You can bet they'd be calling back screaming if their credit card is denied because the billing address doesn't match what their card company has on file, or their stuff is shipped to the wrong place. Also, we're required to ask the customer for their name when they call in, but really, you can give us just your first name or even a fake name if you want...don't just say "well I really just want to ask a question". Unless your first name is so notorious that your cover would be blown somehow, why not just give it to me? *sigh*
                        "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Working...
                        X