This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haunted House Blues (Longish)

I figured for my first SC post I'd give a couple WTF?! stories and 2 of my favorites from time as a security lead at a Salt Lake haunted house.
    A little backstory on the Castle, first off: The owner is a buddy of mine, has been for a lot of years now. We've LARPed together, we've drunk together, we've wandered drunkenly through the haunt at after parties trying to find the snack bar to raid for goodies. Good times for the most part.
    So when he asks me to take the most sensative parking lot position, partly for my people skills and energy and party for my ability to stop horrendous vehicle incidents from happening, I jump up and say "Sure, why not?" despite the job paying nearly nothing, it's for a friend, and something I enjoy.
    And thus began the pain.....
    My favorite visitors included...

I'll only be a minute
    This non customer is close to my heart, since they are ALWAYS the rides for actualy customers. Their favorite hobby is blocking my entrance and/or exit, causing a backlogs of vehicles each way, and ALWAYS look offended when I tell them that they can't park in a high traffic area because "they'll only be a minute", never mind the line of cars that are rapidly building up

WHAT exit only sign?
    Two clearly marked lanes on opposite sides of the lot, one "Enter here" and one "Exit Only" with big white signes and neon red lettering.
    Easy enough, right? You'd think so except for the "But I'm in a HURRY" whiners, the apparently sign blind and the ones who just don't care and think that by whipping in th eexit and magically NOT hitting a pedestrian or an ongoing car they'll skip the line.

You're NOT a babysitter service!?
    Yeah....anyone who works retail knows the drill on this one.

Our final winner is the type that I had to be called off of front lot duties several times to assist inside security with, that's Mister Grabby.
    Now, Mister Grabby is a wonderful individual, and comes in all ages and background. Apparently female actors are there to be grabbed, groped and all because they work in a haunted house. After all, if they didn't want to be grabbed, why did they have breasts? Logic here, people!
    Oddly enough, Mister Grabby and his like minded brethren vanished FAST when word got around that the big guy on the front (me) was only backup to the Sherrifs deputies who, under updated Haunt rules, were being allowed to openly carry their firearms along with their badges.

And now, the happy story!

I decided that 37 was old enough for the long, wet hours, and the wife got more than a little pissed at me vanishing for 3 months a year with little to show for it (Full time job + the haunt), so I said my goodbyes, but still helped out with special events whenever possible, and am offered the occasional walkthrough during the season on slow nights. One night I show up, head out back with the wife when a car comes whipping around the back lotthe wrong way, doing around 20 or so (VERY dangerous in a one lane, small parking lot). Before Speedy can hit someone like my WIFE, I smack the side window and yell "YOU'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!".
    Now imagine my surprise when out of this car jumps a 5 foot nothing woman dressed like an off duty snowboarder who begins screaming at the tops of her lungs
    SC:"You people have been harrassing me ALL night!" begins yelling screaming, jumping up and slamming into my chest while crying out "You hit me! I'm calling the police! You hit me with witnesses!"
    Me: Okay, first off you driving at high speed the WRONG WAY through this lot, you nutty bitch! And I can call you a nutty bitch because I !!
    SC: I'm calling the police!
    At this point, 2 things happen: The aforementioned loon jumps into her car and starts talking into her smart phone. Not turning it on, mind you, just...talking. the second thing is that one of the deputies walks around the side of the building, whereupon I get the extreme satisfaction of knocking on her window and going "Ma'am? You wnated a cop? There's one now."
    Her eyes go to his badge, his security shirt, back to the badge..and GONE.
    I was happy. I danced. The security guard was jealous that after all of those years I was finally able to tell one of these "Me first" jackholes what I really thought of em.

Wow... that last one sounded drunk or on drugs or something.
    Tell a man there are 300 Billion stars in the universe and he’ll believe you.
    Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he’ll have to touch to be sure.
    -Unknown Author

Comment

Quoth Redbeard View Post
      Oddly enough, Mister Grabby and his like minded brethren vanished FAST when word got around that the big guy on the front (me) was only backup to the Sherrifs deputies who, under updated Haunt rules, were being allowed to openly carry their firearms along with their badges.
      Awesome. There is a major haunted house down here (I'll just call it "House") where they do have cops in addition to security, plus several of the ladies work the graveyard room as chainsaw-toting zombies...Note that the chainsaws in question are fully functional -- they just don't tell people that the chains themselves have been removed, rendering them effectively harmless as anything besides a melee weapon. Fortunately, the ladies there are quite capable of taking care of themselves, anyway
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

You smack someone with a chainsaw it's going to hurt, chain or no chain, forget using the bar, hit them with the body.

Or burn them with the exhaust cover.
        If I dropped everybody who occasionally said something stupid from my list of potential partners, I wouldn’t even be able to masturbate

Comment

Quoth Nyoibo View Post
          You smack someone with a chainsaw it's going to hurt, chain or no chain, forget using the bar, hit them with the body.

Or burn them with the exhaust cover.
          You seem to imply that you've had experience with this......
          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
            You seem to imply that you've had experience with this......
            Although probably not with a second person. <ouch>
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Plenty of exparience with a chainsaw, given I've cut down 3 trees this week.

Yes I know from experience the exhaust gets damn hot and my chainsay weighs about 5+kg, that'll cause some pain if you get hit with that.
              If I dropped everybody who occasionally said something stupid from my list of potential partners, I wouldn’t even be able to masturbate

Comment

It's rather sad that the assholes who go into those haunted houses and grope the staff are never punished. If the girl defends herself and slaps the hands away, they try and sue because the staff aren't allowed to touch people going through, just freak them out. Even sadder is that that rule for no touching happened because then the pervs would get on the staff and do that crap to the customers..

It's a freaking lose-lose situation.
                We Pick Up the Pieces

Comment

To the OP - A LARP in Salt Lake City UT? Mythic Realms? Feel free to IM me if you'd like.
                  Fixing problems... one broken customer at a time.

Comment

Quoth Nyoibo View Post

Yes I know from experience the exhaust gets damn hot and my chainsay weighs about 5+kg, that'll cause some pain if you get hit with that.
                    Do you put on women's clothing and hang around in bars?
                    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

SC: I'm calling the police!
                      At this point, 2 things happen: The aforementioned loon jumps into her car and starts talking into her smart phone. Not turning it on, mind you, just...talking.
                      I just love how you called her bluff...

Comment

Quoth Nyoibo View Post

Luckily for the haunters, the chainsaws that are used are either electric props with a noise unit, or if they are gas have the lowest output possible, just put them in an enclosed room with good concrete floor and bare walls to amplify the sound

Comment

Working...
                        X