This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Read Much??

OK, so I recently started working for one of those travel websites where you can make your own arrangements. Mine specializes in hotels, and is one that Captain Kirk might use.

Luckily, my job is to handle email inquiries and requests made through our website, and NOT to handle inbound phone calls... although we sometimes do have to place calls to hotels and guests if necessary.

This week I got a request from a guy shortly after he placed his reservation. Fairly simple request, on its face... He stated that he was traveling with his dog, who will be staying in his cage throughout the hotel stay and he needed to know if the hotel would be OK with it. If not, he needs to cancel his reservation.

Well, it looks simple enough... just a normal special request, right? Except for two things: 1. Hotel PROHIBITS pets. This is stated clearly on their page. 2. The room you booked? NON-REFUNDABLE!!! This means that once you book it, you're paying for it and it's tough titties to you if you can't go!

Like I said, I only do emails... Good thing, as I would have been FIRED had I actually gotten this by phone... for laughing at this guy. I mean, did you actually READ the information on their page? I would think that if you were booking a NON-REFUNDABLE room you would check FIRST to make sure they allowed your dog, right???

Anyway, it turned out OK for this guy. Since it was only about an hour between the time he placed it and the time it showed up on my screen I called the hotel. I told the nice clerk that our guest can't read very well and explained the situation (and sort of laughed about his lack of sense..). As Reservations hadn't taken his deposit yet she told me the hotel would waive the cancellation fee. Only bad thing is the guy will try this again and think he'll be able to get the fees waived every time. And the clerk told me he'd have a hard time finding a hotel in that area that will take pets. Theirs will take guide dogs/seeing eye dogs, of course, but not PETS. And a dog staying in a cage obviously won't be good in that capacity.

My sup advised me not to tell a hotel that the guest can't read... oops...

Quoth Moon View Post
    My sup advised me not to tell a hotel that the guest can't read... oops...
    Very good advice. You should tell a hotel that the guest won't read.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

HAHA, if people could read, we would lose half of our stories. Sort of like the guy who refused to believe we charged for a cup of ice.... 29 cents stating it should be FREE. He then said, Well how come the sign over there says 15 cents!!!!. Apparently SCs tend to read things that not even there, although, he did sell himself out on the scam of thinking there was no cost for ice.
      I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

Non readers are so much fun. I had one the other night ask if we had bags of ice. I replied "Yes, back where it says ICE on the wall." He looked at me like I was being a smartass, but it's true! Same with Ice cream! Oh, and the price list for cups of ice is ON THE POP FOUNTAIN and no one EVER sees it. the best though are the ones that read the specials wrong--but then we've all dealt with those!
        "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

is it possible that he booked it with the set your own price option? (please correct me if I've got the wrong company) I know that we've used that before and if I remember correctly that you set what you want and what price and then you get automatically booked if there's a match. Again I could be mistaken since it's been awhile and I did it with my MIL. But if that's how it works maybe this guy got booked without seeing what hotel first to check.

If not...then the guy's just a dumbass for not checking the hotel BEFORE booking.
          Now, if you smell the roses but it doesn't lift your spirits, you're either allergic to rose pollen or you need medical intervention. ~ Seshat

Comment

Not quite. That option is offered by a closely related company... that branch does hotels, packages, and airfare. Ours /only/ does hotels. While we handle /some/ of their reservations, this one wasn't one of them. He went directly through us. That is a good thought, though. I can see how someone might end up in that type of situation if they went through that particular site and just got randomly matched.

Comment

All SCs hate having somebody point out that their problems are due to their inability to shut their mouths and open their eyes and ears. At an extremely small foreign airport (think an open shelter to keep the passengers out of the rain, a single hanger and a trailer for ops/flight control) an extremely agitated older female was running around babbling "Which is the American Airlines flight? I have to get on the American Airlines flight!" I was verbally abused after asking her, "Do you think it's the plane with the big AA on it's tail?"
              "Them boys ain't zombies! They're just stupid!"

Comment

Working...
              X