X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "smalltalk"

This story made me remember this gem:

One of our branches is usually quite slow, only one person mans it (checkout, checkin and whatever else is needed) and we often have slow days there.
    Because of a longterm sickness i was the "regular" there for a few months. So the customers and i started to get to know eachother.

Another slow day and i'd just checked out someone's books and we were just talking about her family, how the eldest was doing at school etc... Customer nr 2 comes along, i smile and nod at her. C1 just steps aside a bit so she can give me her books she was carrying. i check them in, and she goes over a few metres, reading some backcovers, i assumed looking for something new to read. So, C1 and i start chatting again. I notice C2 huffing and tapping her foot and so on, but never looking at us. So C1 leaves after another minute or max 2, and C2 is immediately in my face:

C2: i thought she'd never leave! why, some people just can't see if it's a busy day (busy? you two are the only ones here!) Can you recommend me a good thriller?
    Me: Well, i really like Dan Brown, have you read Angels and Demons yet? (it's just come out at this point) It takes place in italy, didn't you go there last month?

C2 at this point starts talking about her trip to italy, her dog, her airport issues, her children, you name it, she talks about it.
    In itself: no problem! i mean, if it's a slow day i actually like a break in monotony and we're allowed to chat to customers as long as there aren't lines!
    The catch? Just after she had started talking, a few more people kept coming in. i had to keep interrupting her to ask to step aside so i could take or give their books. This took place for about 40-45 minutes, i kid you not. By the end i was trying to give subtle hints i was trying to get some other work done too (like shelving). "oh that's fine!" and then proceeded to follow me while i shelved books, talking about.. well i can't remember honestly :P Every time a new cusotmer would come in i'd ask her: stay here a moment, i'll just go actually do my work you know? (in a friendlier phrasing)
    Whenever i'd say more than "hello" and "goodbye" she'd start huffing and tapping her foot again. When i actually asked a guy i knew quite well outside work how his leg was (he'd broken it) and we made some smalltalk while she was over at my unshelved books tapping her foot, afterwards she made this gem of a comment:

*Who cares about his leg? Now when my daughter broke mine! That was bad! it was in three places! And then starts a rant about her daughter, her doctors and you name it*

I eventually got rid of her when i told her *shee! this late already? i really should finish this shelving before i have to close up*

She then had the gall to be angry at me for keeping her there for so long. Didn't i know her grandchild was at house waiting for her to come back?
    *aaaaaaargh*

only saw her again once and made sure i didn't give her any encouragement to talk about anything and commented on how busy it was - that time, she DID get the hint! miracles do exist!

Yet another completely self-centered SC...happy to hear she wised up the last time though
    "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Quoth Librarian View Post
      Another slow day and i'd just checked out someone's books and we were just talking about her family, how the eldest was doing at school etc...
      OK I don't know what is on my mind today but for some reason I had to reread that because at first glance I read it as "Another slow day and i'd just checked out someone's boobs"

Comment

Working...
      X