X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuck

Fuck. Just...fuck.

Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck . Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck . One more thing: fuck . Also: fuck.

Today was the day of a thousand deaths, I tell ya.

It took four days for our new POS system to shit the bit. When it did, it did so thoroughly and spectacularly. Checks, debit and credit cards could not go through, and since many people do not carry cash that prevented them from making their purchases. So there were plenty of carts of left-behind merchandise milling around and piles of stuff behind the service desk, to be paid for and picked up later, along with lots of pissy, screamy SCs mad because they couldn't waste their money on shit they probably don't need anyway. Fuck.

Further, nothing was scanning at the correct sale price. Everything scanned at regular price and customers were contesting this. Go figure, they can't find the ass gel located six inches away from their face, but they can spot an overcharge from out of space. So to input the correct sale prices at the register, one of the service desk people had to take one of the store radio scanners (more on those later), scan each item after it was scanned at the checkout, find out the correct price, and then do an override. Since this is the Super Duper Uber Mega Super Stupendous Lowest Prices of the season sale, EVERYTHING is on sale. Fuck.

Before long, the after-church crowd rolls in, the checkout lines begin steadily growing, so calls are put out for backup cashiers. Because when the cash registers themselves aren't functioning, opening more of them is the way to zip everybody out. Double fuck.

And whatever glitch there was in the POS system hit the radio scanners too. The guy who opened this morning couldn't even finish doing the morning autopulls because the radios were super slow and kept losing their connections. I swear it took me ten tries to pull the same pair of shoes. I am not exaggerating in the least. And I was told by my supervisor I was to spend today doing as much autopull as I could so the pulls tomorrow morning would be small and she could get to other projects ASAP. Triple fuck. But as luck would have it, she happened to stop by for some shopping as all this was going down, so I could tell her what was happening and to be prepared for an ugly day tomorrow.

It took over half my shift to get things back to normal. The help(less) desk, conveniently located in India so the corporate suits could save some money and use it on executive bonuses instead, was not answering our calls, and when they finally did they couldn't help us. We also tried and failed to get a hold of the company technician who oversaw the installation of our new registers last week.

Have I mentioned: fuck?

Oh, and then on top of that there was the carryout I did this afternoon to the derpa derp who decided to park his truck ON THE KERB, instead of in front of the automatic doors, thus blocking the bike rack and preventing a couple kids from getting their bikes out of it. Then, after I loaded up his umbrella and fountain, he came barging in the store bellowing "WHERE'S MY BASE!?", because this umbrella is a free-standing one with a plastic base. I had to tell him three times that the base was included in the box; it's four separate pieces that snap together and then can be filled with sand or water, or have a cinder block dropped on top to weight the umbrella down. Then and only then did he figure out I wasn't ripping him off and go away.

I would say I was surprised to see him driving over the curb, but that would require me to forget how truly stupid my customers are.

edited to add: fuck
    Last edited by Irving Patrick Freleigh; 06-26-2011, 11:37 PM.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

soooooo.....
    how was your day today?

J/K have some cookies and some of this and then have a nice nap

Comment

My advice to you is to start drinking . . . heavily.

I've always said this:

To err is human

To really fuck it up, use a computer.

'Nuff said.
      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
        My advice to you is to start drinking . . . heavily.
        Better listen to her, Irv. She's in pre-med !!
        Dammit !! ~ Jack Bauer

Comment

In my mind, POS always stands for Piece of Shit. Most POS prove themselves to be just that eventually.
          "There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't."

Comment

Quoth Laund-o-rama Mama View Post
            In my mind, POS always stands for Piece of Shit. Most POS prove themselves to be just that eventually.
            Indeed, and it certainly did in Irving's case.

I would've been sorely tempted to just close up the store until they could get the damnable things running again. You did not need to deal with that crap.
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I thought I was having a stressful weekend but....yeah, you beat me.

Sorry you had to put up with that mountain of crap.

When it rains, it pours...

I take it you don't have a manual method of processing CC's. We once had a fiberoptic cable on the other side of the state get cut by a construction crew which cut off our CC modem, and had to manually phone-in all our transactions using our cell phones (because they cut our phone line as well). Our system is set-up to do a manual authorization fairly easily, though phoning-in is pretty time consuming.
              Last edited by bhskittykatt; 06-27-2011, 02:30 AM.
              Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

I'm sorry, Irv.

I will make you some special "fuck" cheesecurds.
                You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I feel your pain. It always seems that what can go wrong will and when it does, everything crashes. HARD.
                  My Wajas cave

Comment

Recently we had our scanners decide to not authenticate making them useless. The helpless desk had no clue, and told us they would try to fix it within 48 hours. Luckily we were able to print the CAO order that the scanners are used to confirm and place and call them in, all 18 pallets worth of stuff. That took 5 hours on the phone.

Comment

Oh, Irv. I certainly hope that was the worst that will happen to you for at least the rest of the year. *offers comfort food*
                      "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post

I would've been sorely tempted to just close up the store until they could get the damnable things running again. You did not need to deal with that crap.
                        Which is what we should have done. But corporate would never allow it, as long as there is some way, cumbersome as it may be, to sell stuff.

Comment

So is that like fuck! or more like fuck... ?

Whatever happened to those little doohickies that could let you manually charge a credit card, before all of this technological bullshit? The last store I worked for kept one around just for these kind of situations.
                          "IT stands away, interrupting himself from the incessant hammering of the kittens…"

Comment

We might have had a few of them in a box somewhere, but fuck if I know where.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                              We might have had a few of them in a box somewhere, but fuck if I know where.
                              They're in the Rack=Boom* of Holding.

*so called because it's so hyper-stuffed that the merest feather touch will cause massive detonation.
                              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                              X