This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth LibraryLady View Post
    People often think that, because Public Libraries loan books for free, the Library got the books for free. That isn't the case.

Above and beyond the cost of the book, every book that gets on a Public Library shelf costs at least 20USD to research, order, process and catalog. That seems like a lot of money but much of it is staff time. Yes, even that little paperback is a lot more expensive than it looks.

Donations of books are often much more trouble than they're worth. It may seem like a nice idea to clear out Grandpa's cellar or attic and give the books to the Library. After all, they're old so they have to be valuable, don't they? Please folks, think twice before you do that.

Books that have been stored in attics or basements can have insect or mold problems that can infect other parts of the collection. These 'gifts' have to be segregated before they can be accepted. Each book has to be researched for rarity and examined for damage. The people who do these things have skills that do not come cheap. 'Free' gifts can cost the Library up to 100 USD per book to research and the book may still not be found acceptable.
    None of the books I would intend to donate would be very old. Some of them would be very new releases and some of them would definately be popular (novelisation of Underworld: Rise of the Lycans would definately go down well at my local as there is a huge Young Adult Vampires section lol). Most of the books I would give wouldn't be very old, in my opinion, and the rest would possibly be classics (like Peter Pan etc). I won't be able to afford to transport all of my beloved books when I move overseas, but I figure donating the entire Wind Singer series (which is only a few years old but was VERY popular when I was a teen) would probably go down well. I would possibly donate my Harry Potters too, as I would always be able to find another copy of every book ANYWHERE lol.

If I had an antique and I didn't want it, I would sell it- the money would go to helping me transport all my favourite coffee table books :P

I have a few in mind...movie novelisations are quite popular here, so they'd probably like my Terminator ones. I have a bunch of Anne McCaffery ones that they don't stock, but do stock all the ones I don't have so that would probably be handy for them. Most of what I would give are teen-young-adult books that I picked up on offer within the last 6 years or so and I could see kids still enjoying them (Night World, the Wind Singers, Darren Shan etc). I have a very old copy of the Iron Woman but to be honest I don't know if I could part with that. I think that book was probably the first inkling that I was going to turn out to be a goth :P

Comment

Quoth Little Retail Rabbit
      I would possibly donate my Harry Potters too, as I would always be able to find another copy of every book ANYWHERE lol.
      Ooo.
      You would find Harry Potter in the US but lots of American HP fans want British editions. Like me.

Sorry it's a geek thing. Lol.
      Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
      Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

BiscuitMonroe, sucks that your ex did that to you! Some libraries are willing to work out those things with patrons, like letting them replace them with gently used items or paying them down a little bit each week and getting borrowing privileges during that. You might try contacting the director or head of circ and seeing if you can cut a deal.

Depechemodefan, I'm with you on the day cares. I don't think we've gotten anyone as bad as yours (selling free prizes?!), but we've got this one in particular who checks out right up to the 50 item limit and every single time tries to go over our limits--no more than 3 books by the same author or on the same topic (remember, we're tiny. Doing research? ILL is you best friend). When we tell her to pick 3 of the ten dinosaur books, she bitches about how her library in Other State (don't remember where) was so much more supportive of schools and how's she supposed to build a curriculum this way? Say it with me everyone: INTER-LIBRARY LOAN!

Actually, Aisling, I'd recommend seeing if you can't get better books through other libraries if yours belongs to any kind of consortium or system. The head of adult collections at mine tends to get mysteries and big name best sellers. If I want decent sci fi or fantasy, I order out

Comment

I miss the library, too. My half-sisters are the cause of why my entire family can't check out any books.
          Cast in the name of Death, Ye not living.

Comment

I agree with camjuniper - perhaps you can talk to someone at the library and work out a way to become a user again. Both of you. I really want people to use the library so I do what I can to help people who've been screwed over like that by relatives/friends/family etc.

We try not to refer to overdue fines as fines anymore. "Extended use fee" sounds so much nicer.

Comment

Quoth camjuniper View Post

Hi! I'm Cam. Longtime reader & lurker, first time poster. I work in a small public library.
              Welcome Cam!

And thanks for working in a library - love love love my local libraries! Unlike your first SC, libraries have saved me a ton of money.

Quoth dragon_wings View Post
              Ooo.
              You would find Harry Potter in the US but lots of American HP fans want British editions. Like me.

Sorry it's a geek thing. Lol.
              What's the difference between the two versions?
              Be a winner today: Pick a fight with a 4 year old.

Comment

Quoth Alpha Strike View Post
                http://www.hp-lexicon.info/about/books/differences.html

Comment

Quoth Marian_Paroo View Post
                  We try not to refer to overdue fines as fines anymore. "Extended use fee" sounds so much nicer.
                  Love it! Will have to pass that on to the coworkers who still have a sense of humor.

Comment

Quoth Alpha Strike View Post
                    Regarding the Harry Potter books.

British language vs. American language. I think Scholastic did a grave disservice to American kids by denying them the opportunity to learn about how the two languages differ. There's probably something in fratching about it.

Mrs. IA bought the first two at a local bookstore, having never heard of them before. The cover of the second one caught her eye, and the clerk suggested she read them in order. The rest I ordered from Amazon UK as they were released. It pleased me to be able to read them in their original language.

I'm in the US.
                    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi

The rest I ordered from Amazon UK as they were released. It pleased me to be able to read them in their original language.
                      I may have to end up doing that too.
                      Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
                      Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Ok I'm changing my mind, I'm keeping my own copies . Not to be mean to Americans (I am marrying one!) but I think that would really get on my nerves XD I didn't know there were major differences, to be honest the only difference I was aware of was that the US publication of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone was changed to Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone. I never did get that; the Philosopher's Stone is not exclusive to Harry Potter but not had its name changed before O.o

Comment

Working...
                        X