This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The ESC

We charge an energy surcharge (hereafter known as the ESC). Its charged once per billing cycle per customer-not per delivery. Its due to use of diesel fuel in our trucks and petroleum based bottles. We do reassess it every 30 days and base it in the cost of diesel so it can go up or down.

I understand the customer's irritation but frankly, they chose a delivery service and it's potential costs. I don't mind answering questions about it but I do mind the drivel that they spew. They apparently have no control over how ridiculous they sound when attempting to convince me, a lowly CSR, that we shouldn't charge it. For example:

SC: That's the cost of doing business! You can't pass that on to your customers!
    Me: Indeed. We should just charge nothing at all and then go out of business so you can't even get our service at all. That's a much better idea.

SC: No one else charges this!
    Me: Really!? Papa John's charged me one. Delta charged me one. Best freaking Buy charged me one. Do you have some kind of VIP status, because that might make a difference here.

SC: I have a business and I don't charge one.
    Me: May I ask what kind of business?
    SC: I have a (nothing that has any type of delivery at all) business, why?

SC: This is all (George Bush/Barack Obama/Charlie Sheen's) fault! Arrest/impeach/turn him into a cat and this will all stop.

SC: The department of energy told me they don't make you charge this!
    Me: No, they don't. We are a privately owned company and we choose to charge it.
    SC:...well...um...you can't do that!

Quoth AquaGirl View Post
    Seriously? What do they think the 2.00 charge is for, when they order pizza delivery?
    We are actors! We are the opposite of people! -Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead

All we can do is hate. And they ALL deserve it.

Comment

For what it's worth, the pizza deliver charge doesn't go directly to the driver and thus doesn't directly pay for the driver's fuel costs.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I thought ESC would stand for Extreme Sucky Customer
        "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

I feel your pain.

It's all my fault that the airlines have added on fuel surcharges during the recent gas hike, but it's also my fault that they don't remove or reduce them when fuel goes back down.

Your choice is to not buy a ticket. Shut up about it, write your congressman and leave me alone.
          "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Huh, I always assumed the delivery charge was one part fuel costs, one part wages for the delivery surcharge most places add. Since most places near me are walking distance, that would explain my confusion.
            Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.

SG-14: Moving forward because everything behind is rigged to blow.

Comment

ohhh i feel ya there. every time the gas prices go up, its *my* fault. cos...i sell the gas, ya know

Comment

Two things that really get to me when High End Home Store's customers call in. First, the "why is shipping so much" question...because it just is. I don't know what all has to go into that cost, but really, if you're shopping with us you should just suck it up. I know rich people don't get rich squandering their money, but if you want to buy draperies that are $300 per panel, you're going to pay even more for the privilege. Sucks to be you.

The other one is the "I own a business" claim. So? Are all businesses exactly the same? If our company has a policy that could possibly apply to your company and I try to use it on you, do I get it whether you like it or not just because OUR company can do it?

Gahhh.
                "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                  For what it's worth, the pizza deliver charge doesn't go directly to the driver and thus doesn't directly pay for the driver's fuel costs.
                  It depends. Usually, this charge goes towards two things: Paying for fuel for the food & supplies deliveries that Corporate sends to the stores; and also to help delay an inevitable across-the-board price hike. Sometimes a portion of it (but never, ever all of it) goes to the driver:

For the vast majority of delivery places, the driver may or may not get a portion of this; tho its likely that they may get some sort of fee which means they'll get a smidgen of it indirectly (e.g. when I was with DaddyJim's pizza, we got a percentage (4.5% I think) of the sales price on deliveries...and yes, this means that taking a free order (even if it was someone else's fault) meant no percentage, and that the driver was effectively losing money on that run. NOTE that the % was in effect years before they initiated a delivery charge, so it's really coming from a separate "income/expense bucket").

When I was at a smaller, but still national, pizza joint up until recently. the driver got a buck out of the $1.50 delivery charge -- but no %/commish. If a run was 5 blocks away, woohoo! If it was a 15-minute ride, it still might not cover gas, especially in heavy traffic. Also, we were required to report our tips for taxation purposes (few places do this, they just tell you to do it when they first hire you and wash their hands of it).
                  Last edited by EricKei; 07-05-2011, 10:27 AM. Reason: paragraphs are our friends
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

We've got this awesome local take-out delivery service that has a notice on their site that they charge any amount over X for gas, based on what gas costs that week.

The service is amazing, though. They'll order, pick up, and deliver your food from any place that does take away but not delivery. Mostly local restaurants (from cheap taco or pizza to high end cuisine), a few chains & fast food joints, and even the local ice creams places. When I do order, I'm more than happy to pay their charges and give a good tip (cuz I was the one too lazy to walk into to town and get my own food!).

Comment

Our company has had to start doing something like this here too, but mostly because the products we make are highly dependent on petroleum to make. Telling folks about it, you'd think they weren't warned or told about it ahead of time.

Comment

Quoth Dilorenzo View Post
                        Our company has had to start doing something like this here too, but mostly because the products we make are highly dependent on petroleum to make. Telling folks about it, you'd think they weren't warned or told about it ahead of time.
                        What gets me is we've been charging this thing for 6 years. I can understand a new customer who maybe doesn't notice for a bill or two calling to question it but I get longtime customes who just noticed it. Then they try telling me they were never charged it before and when I offer to send previous bills as proof they "don't have time for all that".

Comment

Quoth AquaGirl View Post
                          ... and when I offer to send previous bills as proof they "don't have time for all that".
                          Oh? Don't you know? You are supposed to take their word for it anytime a customer disputes ANYTHING, EVER! Because, as we all know, all customers, everywhere, are always 100% completely (*coughsnerk*) honest and should be trusted without qualification. It's those nasty worker units like us, who read things to them that they already have written down on paper, who are the untrustworthy ones
                          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth AquaGirl View Post
                            Ever hear of mark-up? Ain't no business that buys something at market and then just turns around an sells it for that price. What would be the point?
                            It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth AquaGirl View Post
                              SC: That's the cost of doing business! You can't pass that on to your customers!
                              I've heard that exact argument from customers. Almost verbatim. And sometimes from people who claim to own a business themselves!

Businesses have expenses. One of which is paying their employees. I'm 100% certain you wouldn't be answering the phone to talk to these idiots if you weren't being paid to.

If they can't pass these costs along to the customers, exactly who are they supposed to pass them along to?
                              The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Working...
                              X