This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Construction worker's boss aka entitlement whore

I work at a hotel in my town. I was working days for about 18 months up until the end of June (had worked 3 years of overnights prior to that at this same property) but had to switch back to overnights because the main full-time overnight guy who replaced me when I went to days quit to go to grad school and my boss said they weren't going to hire anyone to replace him. My boss basically gave me an ultimatum more or less. "Go back to overnights or your hours will be cut back." Well, you know with the economy in the crapper, I begrudgingly agreed. And overnights do have their advantages however small.

Anyways, so I've been on overnights for a couple of weeks now again. Of course, out on the main drag in front of our property, they're doing road construction, so my boss made damn sure we had all the out of town contractors and their employees stay here. And the foreman for this lot of goofballs is pretty much the biggest entitlement whore I've ever met. You know the "we're renting out a bunch of rooms for several weeks and giving you business so we can have the run of the place" type. First thing, he convinces my GM to let us open our breakfast an hour early just for this bunch. I don't mind that so much, as we've done this before for other groups.

Now he comes down to me the other night and more or less asks if it's okay to swim at 4:30 in the morning... I told him no, the pool area doesn't open up until 8AM because we have poolside rooms and I can't risk having the people who stay in them disturbed. (he wanted to swim that early because their group has to leave for work by 6AM) And of course, he gives me the speech I mentioned above, but I held firm. I told him more or less, he'll need to talk to my boss and get approval, but otherwise I wasn't going to let him or anyone from his crew in the pool before it opened. Of course he said he would, but I've asked my boss a few times now, and he's yet to bring up the subject with her. Even if he does though, she's basically going to tell him the same thing I said anyways.
    Last edited by Midnight; 07-06-2011, 10:03 AM.

I HATE those kinds of groups. Yeah, we appreciate the business, and will give you some extra perks (like the early breakfast, that's no prob), but it still breaks down to you being a guest and having to follow the rules.

For the life of me, I can't remember what this guy wanted, but he got mad and stormed out when we wouldn't give in to him, and he sent us a complaint about how we were going to lose so much business 'cause they were needing X rooms for Y nights, and we basically told him sorry but don't let the door hit you on the way out!
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Sure, you can swim at 4 in the morning. Just to let you know though, the chlorine we add to clean it overnight tends to be at its burniest then
      Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Comment

Put his group in the poolside rooms. And charge for the difference in cost. Then they can be the ones woken up by early-morning poolness.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Just turn it right back on them -- They're doing YOU guys a favor? How about, the hotel is doing THEM a favor by letting them reserve and use a large block of rooms (probably at a notable discount; you could have made a lot more off of solo clients) so that the workers won't have to deal with heavy traffic, parking, or driving to work at o'dark thirty just to get there in time. It's thanks to you guys that his workers are that much more well-rested and ready to rock!
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Had a similar situation, but my manager told me in no uncertain terms NOT to set out breakfast early. See these guys were getting a primo rate, and then they would take our fruit and bread to make their lunch. So, I was told to set out coffee early, and I asked for permission to put out the cereal early so they would have something for breakfast (which also meant that it was at my discression ). Still, I got a big baby complaining that he couldn't have waffles for breakfast.

SC
            "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Last night I was stuck at work until 1:15 AM (a whole other store which I will likely post in General Work Chat) and I was in the row right next to the overnights, who take calls for some of the other verticals that have 24/7 customer service/ordering lines. In some ways it looked like it might be a fun thing to do, as the group is relatively small, the center in general is much quieter then, and they appear to be able to get away with a lot more than most of us can.

However, I did overhear part of one conversation last night that reminded me how tough a job like that can be...basically the agent had to keep repeating OVER AND OVER AND OVER to the caller that it was 1 AM, he had no idea who the caller had talked to earlier in the day so there was no way to get hold of him or leave him a message, and the agent could try to help the customer himself but that was all he could do. I mean I'm sure he had to repeat basically the same phrase at least 10 times. Gahh!!! Why is this concept so hard for people to understand?? And yes, that is a rhetorical question...
              "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Guess this guy should next time find a hotel with a 24 hour pool (A couple of places I stayed in while on vacation in May had their indoor pools open 24 hours)!

Comment

not to mention you were saving them gas - and with the gas prices the way they are, that's a good chuck of change... I mean it sounds like these workers only had to get up and walk to work.

Comment

Working...
                  X