This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But I didn't make a copy!

This one is with an english speaking customer. One of my CWs doesn't speak english very well, she always sends them to someone else. She does speak some basic english and both me and other CW were gone helping others, so she tried this on her own. She didn't understand everything the SC said and couldn't make ehrself very clear, so after a minute or two i came back and she passed him onto me as quickly as she could.

CW: *in our own language, SC couldn't understand this part* SC here would like to use the computers but the system won't let him. He still has 10 cents open from a printout he hasn't paid and is blocked. I tried to explain but i'm not sure i got through to him, can you take over?

Me: Hello sir, can i have your card please to check what's gone wrong exactly with it?
    SC: Sure, i just want to use the computer here. She sais i have to pay for a copy, but i never copied anything here!
    Me: It looks like you printed something here last month? That's what the 10 cents is for? I know it isn't much, but as long as it's not paid, your card is blocked in our system and we can't change that.
    SC: But she said it was for a copy! I never made a copy!
    Me: But you printed out something from the internet?
    SC: Yes. But she said i had to pay for a copy!
    Me: Just a second - to CW in our language: Did you say he had to pay for a copy? CW: Yeah, isn't that the same word for a printout?
    Me to SC: Sorry sir, she doesn't speak english very fluently and chose the wrong word. You don't have to pay for a copy, but i will have to ask you for 10 cents for a printout you made last month.
    SC: But i never copied!
    Me: That's correct. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. You don't have to pay for any copy you've made. However, i do need to ask you for money for the printout.
    SC: oh! Why didn't SHE say that the first time then?
    Me: She tried to sir, but english isn't her strongest language.
    Sc: Well, she spoke it fine otherwise!

He finally did pay and got his free internet. CW and me had a good laugh later on in the backoffice about it too. She tought that last bit was a big compliment, she has a very heavy accent and struggles visibly for words in english. She did however understand most of my convo with the SC.

What language do you speak?

Comment

Quoth Librarian View Post
      Sc: Well, she spoke it fine otherwise!

...CW and me had a good laugh later on in the backoffice about it too. She thought that last bit was a big compliment,.
      Well, I suppose that could be considered to be a "backhanded compliment" -- in other words, a compliment (intentional or otherwise) phrased in such a way that it comes across as an insult at the same time.
      Last edited by EricKei; 07-08-2011, 12:00 PM.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
        Well, I suppose that could be considered to be a "backhanded compliment"
        Yup - that's part of what we had a good laugh about afterwards

Star: My native language is dutch.

ETA: a copy is a kopie (pronounced slightly differently) and a printout a print, so the words aren't even all that different a bit of a brain burp from my CW
        Last edited by Librarian; 07-08-2011, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X