X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't ignore me like that.

(not quite sure this thread goes here)

This is a semi-regular occurence, though last night it happened multiple times during a call; for some reason, it seems to be most common when dealing with tech support type calls. The tech is speaking, and I'm mostly keeping up, then due to making and correcting a typo (recommended procedure due to TTYs not liking the backspace key is to put a few x's and then retype the misspelled word) I fall behind, so I interrupt with "one moment please", spoken at the same volume as the tech, or slightly over it. The tech just keeps going like nothing happened, and as I spoke over him I missed some more of the message. Last night, at least three times in the call I almost had to shout to get him to pause, and then he'd just say "what?" and I'd have to repeat it once more, back to a normal volume. I know in some cases a technician will have a script they're required to follow, but I never thought that this meant they don't have the right to stop mid-sentence; that's what it almost felt like.

To make me even happier the tech also seemed absolutely incapable of using the 2nd person to refer to the customer, and prefaced every question with "ask him if...", even after I explained, over and over, that I am not part of the conversation, and that he has to use "you" when talking to the customer, and "operator" when talking to me, even though there are very few reasons why he would need to talk to me in the first place after I'm done explaining the relay procedure.

On the plus side, that was my first day back to work after spending the weekend in NYC where I was able to buy a 40oz of Bacardi 151.
    Long days, short nights, a bottle of NOS makes it all right.

Canadians Unite !

I feel sorry for you relay operators. I cannot imagine a more stressful phone job, given all the crap you have to deal with.

You get lots of Nigerian credit card fraudsters using relay to hide their tracks?

Comment

You get lots of Nigerian credit card fraudsters using relay to hide their tracks?
      I don't know if Taurinejunkie does, but I get them....they try to place ads to sell English Bulldogs (not that they actually have any puppies to sell...) We don't accept the ads, though. We're on to them.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I don't think I actually ever got any scammer, but that may be due to the steps one has to take to acquire a TTY in my area; I believe an audiologist has to get involved. And I really don't think it's that stressful, after all I get much less abuse than when I worked at directory assistance.
        Long days, short nights, a bottle of NOS makes it all right.

Canadians Unite !

Comment

I work in tech support and I've been on the other side of the phone on this kind of calls on two occasions. Both were tech support calls coming from deaf people via a relay service. It WAS odd to try to speak directly to the deaf person and kind of ignore the relay operator, but I think I got it ok. Big credit goes to this site for giving me the knowledge of this kind of service that I knew what was going to happen.
          A man can be stupid and not know it, but not if he is married.

Comment

Working...
          X