This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thats no excuse

Like I've said before i am a catering trolley worker aboard a UK train service. My job is simply to walk backwards down a train repeating 'Good Morning/afternoon/evening, any teas, coffees light snacks?' whist dragging 17 stone of trolley with me.
    I sell overpriced drinks and snacks - thats it.

However as I am the most visible member of the train crew (dispite being from an outsourced company with a very different uniform) people seem to think its prudent to ask me questions or downright complain.

Most questions are about train times etc (as I'm sure you can guess), now i know a little but only about my own route and as guards and drivers go on a six week course every year to learn that sort of thing they are way better to ask so i usually direct customers to them. This is usually the cue for a stream of bile about it being so awful that a member of staff should be so uninformed. Unless my dear customers wish to pay for me to go on the course I'm going to stay relitively ignorant of the info they want no matter what.

Their responce is usually 9 times out of 10: 'Thats no excuse!' and then they storm off.

Customers... love them or hate them you can't set them on fire... or can you?
    Customers: Love them or hate them you can't set them on fire... or can you?

Set them on fire? On an enclosed train?

Won't ANYONE think of the children!

You gotta polish a memory like a stone. Chip off the parts that remind you it was just a game. Work it until it's indistinguishable from any other memory.

Comment

"You're RIGHT! It ISN'T an excuse. It's THE TRUTH! "

Comment

Quoth Canarr View Post
        Set them on fire? On an enclosed train?

Won't ANYONE think of the children!

Generally we do think of the children!

And when we're setting them on fire, we're thinking of eliminating them from the gene pool, and thus preventing them from HAVING children. Or at least more of them.
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth IamRed View Post
          Customers... love them or hate them you can't set them on fire... or can you?
          I've had some success with a rag soaked in gasoline stuffed in side of a glass vase. It's like a maltov cocktail only...er, why no, of course you cannot. That would be un...un...safe.

I bet you get a lot of Harry Potter related remarks, what with the trolly on the Hogwarts Express.

Comment

Quoth NateTheChops

I've had some success with a rag soaked in gasoline stuffed in side of a glass vase. It's like a maltov cocktail only...er, why no, of course you cannot. That would be un...un...safe.

I bet you get a lot of Harry Potter related remarks, what with the trolly on the Hogwarts Express.
            Do you have any Chocolate Frogs? (only thing I could think of at the moment.)
            Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
            Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

They can always ask the driver via the toilet "Call For Aid" button, you know
              It's tradition, or an old charter, or something!

Comment

17 stone??? What the heck is on that trolley to make it weigh 238 lbs? Do you have 25 gallons of tea? (That would account for 208 lbs). I hope they oil the wheels & axles on a regular basis...
                Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
                TASTE THE LIME JELLO OF DEFEAT! -Gravekeeper

Comment

You could always just tell them that you don't work for the train service and watch their little heads explode as they try to figure that out.

Then, when they try to say you do, even by proxy, let them know that the train company sends their people out for training on that stuff but your company, not being the train company but a catering company, doesn't.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I feel sorry for you, I hate travelling on trains. Never ever on time. Bet you have some nice conversations about that?
                    My Crafting Profile http://www.craftster.org/forum/index...ofile;u=139859

Comment

let them know that the train company sends their people out for training on that stuff but your company, not being the train company but a catering company, doesn't.
                      Try this with big sad puppy eyes (a few tears won't hurt) and also say "They won't let me go!"
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Next time they ask you for train times, ask them what their job is and ask them something vaguely related and then criticise that they don't know their jobs either.

It's like when I get off a train 150 miles away from my home depot and someone asks the platform of the train to somewhere else, I always say, "I just brought you here, I have about as much info as you have!" and it's said in so much confidence that they usually go off to bug someone else (and if they don't then I point them in the direction of someone else to bug)
                        It's tradition, or an old charter, or something!

Comment

Quoth NateTheChops View Post

Yes i do... particularly from tourists. Do you not have food trolleys in the USA cos It always seems to surprise and delight americans. Not that i mind that much cos is i play along i get a tip

The trolley weighs 17 stone due to enough water to fill 86 8oz cups as well as 4 sandwiches, 14 bags of crisps, an array of other snacks, 20 beers, 6 bottles of wine, 12 minatres of spirits, 20 soft drinks and finally all the milk etc i need.

pity me!
                          Last edited by Peppergirl; 07-15-2011, 05:21 PM. Reason: merged
                          Customers: Love them or hate them you can't set them on fire... or can you?

Comment

Here we are lucky to get a dining car on a cross country train. Commuter trains...forget it.
                            https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                            Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth IamRed View Post
                              Yes i do... particularly from tourists. Do you not have food trolleys in the USA cos It always seems to surprise and delight americans. Not that i mind that much cos is i play along i get a tip

pity me!
                              If I am ever in the U.K., on a train, and someone with a food trolley comes by, I promise not to make any Harry Potter references, and will still tip as best I can if I do buy something. Well, unless the train is part of a Harry Potter promotion....

Comment

Working...
                              X