Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's try this again (An Introduction)

Hi! I tried posting not five minutes before starting this post and apparently I got logged out, so we're going to try again.

I work breakfast at a chain hotel in the nearby college town. You may have heard of the college, as it's mascot is a well known turkey and they play some sport really well (I think it's called football?) Anyway, most of our clientele are businessmen and families coming to visit the kids at the college.

I work with a really great bunch of people. All the managers are great, and the kitchen people are amazing. We're pretty low staffed on breakfast, mostly because it's rarely very busy, but as it's orientation time, it's gotten busy in the past couple of weeks.

This is also my first job, and I've been working on the hotel site for about a month now, and in breakfast specifically for two weeks. So far I count myself lucky as there haven't been too many of what I personally consider sucky customers. Mostly they're just particular but understanding and they tip well.

Well, except for a few exceptions, obviously. Otherwise, why else would I be here!

So, for my first trick, I have a sucky customer from today specifically:

"I don't want this if it isn't free"

The stars of today are myself and Polo-Guy. Named as such because he wore a polo shirt and I'm not feeling particularly imaginative at the moment.

Everything seemed pretty normal when he came in. We were pretty empty at the time, so we were pretty much focussed on him and the other patrons of our dining area. I'm pretty sure there were two other people, and both of them knew that you must pay to eat there unless you have a coupon or sticker that says it comes in your room rate.

Anyway PG is going through the cold section of the buffet and has grabbed one of each type of bread item we have. This is one white bagel, two slices of bread - toasted, one english muffin, split and toasted, two muffins of different types, and condiments to put on the toast, the bagel and the english muffin.

He stands there AT THE BUFFET to dress his food. This makes no sense what so ever because we don't put out knives for any of the spreads so what makes someone think that it's ok to just stand there and do that?

Anyway, moving on. So he's spreading the spreads on his breads (I'm a Dr. Seuss novel, apparently), and I ask him the only think I'm required to ask: "Coffee or juice?"

PG: "I'll just get it myself."
    Me: "Well, if you want juice, it's in the kitchen, so we have to get it."
    PG: "In the kitchen? I thought this was a free buffet."
    Uh, not sure what makes you say that, sir, because we have a sign clearly stating that it's $8.95 a person.
    Me: "It's not free, you have to pay to eat the buffet."
    PG: "Well I don't want any of this if it's not free."
    Gee, buddy, that's kind of obnoxious of you. Just grab a bunch of our bread and put stuff on it, and then decide you're not willing to pay even the cold buffet price for it, just because you thought it was free.
    Me: "I'm sorry, sir. Unless you have a coupon that gives you a free breakfast buffet, then it's not free."
    PG: "Well the guy at the front desk told me that it was free every day except for Saturday. Is that not true?"
    Me: "No, it's not. It's only free with the coupon."

In my head I was thinking that maybe when they were telling him that the hours were different on Saturday and Sunday, he someone got that confused with "breakfast is free all the time except for Saturday" which is a bit of a leap, but I've read worse on this site.

PG: "Well I want to know for sure. I'm going to ask front desk about this."

Okay, that's fine, but I just told you that it's not free, several times. If you have the coupon, that's great, I just need to make sure you have it. I'm guessing he didn't have it because he never produced one, but anyway, moving on.

He stalks over to the front desk to ask about breakfast, and leaves his plate and all his opened spreads out with his dirty knife and everything. I go on my merry way, thinking he might have a coupon and just didn't know about it and that front desk would let him know, or that he would have the decency to come back and at least try to eat what he put on his plate and pay for it. The cold buffet is less than the full buffet so he wouldn't even be paying the advertised price, he'd be paying less.

He never came back. We put what we could back on the buffet (the two muffins were untouched and had wrappers over their entirety still) and chucked the rest. Apparently he did not get the answer he was looking for, and decided to abandon his breakfast. He probably went to some restaurant place and paid about the same price for less choice. His loss.

Anyway, I hope this is a good introductory post. I hope to only have a few stories, far between at that, but we all know if you hope in one and and poop in the other, which one will get filled first

He really should have asked first -- not too bright of him ~_~

PS Gratz on getting your first job, and to ! Someone should be along with cookies and bacon shortly.

PPS Just FYI....Because it IS your first job, you'd have no way to know this -- Food that a customer has touched with their hands and left behind needs to be tossed, period ^^; It's a Board of Health thing, at least in the US. Your supervisor should have known this and told you. Not your fault
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

*brings a plate of chocolate chip cookies and some ice cold milk*

People is stoopid. That's been my mantra lately.
      Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
      Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

He never gave the impression of being very bright, especially since he stole the knife from the bucket that says "please don't touch". I understand what everyone means by SCs never reading signs now.

Fanks

The muffins were wrapped in saran wrap, all of them, individually, so I didn't really think much of it. But thanks for the heads up! I'll remember that for next time!

Comment

Oh he probably knew. He just hoped you would give it to him since he already spread his topping on and it couldn't be reused.

Comment

BACON COOKIES!!!!

those would be awfully awesome I think....
            Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth SomethingMichelle View Post
              The muffins were wrapped in saran wrap, all of them,
              Actually, that may be an exception. Ask yer super next time yer in ^_^ Heck, s/he might be impressed that you've done yer homework on the issue, who knows?
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                BACON COOKIES!!!!

those would be awfully awesome I think....
                Who'd ever get to find out?
                ... before RetailWorkhorse ated them all!
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Mmm bacon cookies makes me want one of those bacon/pancake cupcakes I had last summer. They were DELICIOUS.

Comment

I went to a convention in another part of the country as part of a group a while back, and stayed at the hotel hosting it to boot. When I would go down to the restaurant for breakfast they took my room number and mentioned that breakfast wasn't included in the package and I'd have to pay extra if I wanted to eat.
                    I just said okay, paid and had tasty tasty bacon (and other breakfast foods )
                    I don't understand why some people have a problem with this.
                    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Comment

Welcome to the assylum, er, I mean, forum!

I hope that you added the cost of the buffet to his room. He touched food, he should pay for it, IMO.
                      "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Comment

Working...
                      X