This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SC is mad because I cut my hours/days-longish

I am working less hours and days due to some medical reasons. I am a diabetic and having a rough month with my sugars running high. My awesome doc has been trying a new dosages on me and so far so good, but wants me to cut my hours (less standing on my feet) and take care of my health until we get everything back under control. Thankfully my work is understanding.
    Onto my story!
    One of my stores regular SC comes over to me where I am stocking some shelves in H&B. She is an older somewhat bitchy woman, I just always smile and deal with her until she leaves, but this day she really pissed me off. This is what followed:

SC: where have you been, haven't seen you around!!
    Me: I'm working less hours/days
    SC: well you SHOULD be here more, I can't find my soap that I buy, you should be here every day!
    Me: well ma'am I told you I cut my hours and the soap is where it always in, in the soap and lotions aisle.
    SC: well I dont think it's right that you cut your hours, that's lazy! you need to be here to fill the shelves!
    After that last remark, I saw red, seriously, I'm surprised flames didn't shoot out of my eyes.
    So I give her my death glare (honestly, in my family we all have this death glare that we get when pushed too far, when this happens people know when to back off, this sc did not back off)
    me: look, you're rude, I don't need you telling me what I need to do, it's none of YOUR business when I work and don't work. If you have a problem with that you can speak to my manager, now get lost and leave me alone.

The look on her face was cross between a cat butt face and serious shock like how dare I say anything back. She kind of sputtered at me, turned around and walked away.
    She complained to my manager, he called me to the office and asked what happened, I started bawling and told him everything. I am very stressed out due to my health, having a smaller paycheck, and worrying about paying bills and he knows that. Thankfully he beliieved me, but did say that from now on if I have issues with SC to send them right to the service desk, he did get me to laugh at how he thought it was funny that I told her to get lost.

Sounds like you got a cool boss.

I can't believe the nerve of some people. I take it if you quit your job, she'd stalk you down and demand to ask why you weren't working there anymore.

And to say you're lazy on top of it! She doesn't know your circumstances, whether you cut hours for medical reasons, or to go to school, or to take on another job, or even just to take a break is not lazy at all. Ugh.
    Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
    Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
    Fiancee: What?!
    Me: Nevermind.

Comment

I love your response to this horrible SC....sounds like you really tore her a new one!! She certainly deserved it.

At my old job, "Merkins", regulars would ask me where I'd been if I had a few days off. Mostly it's because they actually missed me, but sometimes it was because they were disgusted the other hostess didn't know their name/favorite table/ favorite server, etc.

Some SC's won't ever grasp the concept that workers are not machines, but actual human beings. We can sometimes *gasp* take time off work for the sake of ourselves or our families.

Hope you feel better soon!

Comment

thank you both!

Just wanted to add that I found out from a co-worker that this same old lady looks for me on the days I'm not there just to complain that "she (meaning Me) has not been there to put out her favorite soaps. I swear this woman must be a psycho.
        Her favorite soap happens to be Pears brand soap-apparently we sell it ALOT cheaper than walgreens and cvs so she stalks my store and ME for it. Ugh.
        Last edited by Thatgirl71; 07-17-2011, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Any way to talk your manager into raising the price of this soap?

Comment

Why the heck doesn't she buy every bar you've got on the shelf at any one time? Then she'll be stocked up for a while. Nasty old bat.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

You've got more guts than I have. I wish I could tell people to get lost sometimes! Glad your boss was understanding
              My Crafting Profile http://www.craftster.org/forum/index...ofile;u=139859

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                Why the heck doesn't she buy every bar you've got on the shelf at any one time? Then she'll be stocked up for a while. Nasty old bat.
                If she did that, then she'd have no reason to come into the store every day and harass the employees
                Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

To bait fish withal: if it will feed nothing else, it will feed my revenge. He hath disgraced me, and hindered me half a million; laughed at my losses, mocked at my gains, scorned my nation, thwarted my bargains, cooled my friends, heated mine enemies; and what's his reason? I am an employee. Hath not a employee eyes? hath not a employees hands, organs, dimensions, senses, affections, passions? fed with the same food, hurt with the same weapons, subject to the same diseases, healed by the same means, warmed and cooled by the same winter and summer, as a customer is? If you prick us, do we not bleed? if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that. If an employee wrong a customer, what is his humility? Revenge. If a customer wrong an employee, what should his sufferance be by customer example? Why, revenge. The villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction.

-Merchant of Venice Act 3 Scene 1 by William Shakespeare....with a couple of changes
                  Bark like a chicken!

Comment

Or order them online if she needs that many.

I have an honesty problem. If someone asked me a question like that, I'd tell them exactly what the problem was. In detail. Whether they really wanted to know or not.

Comment

The monkeys here certainly seem shocked that I get days off. Or that I only work three days a week now.
                      Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Just the other day someone flipped out on me that I started recently setting one day a week off for work. I explained it was due to my recent health issues, and he was very huffy about it.

People can be extremely inconsiderate when they feel that any sort of thing infringes upon their day-to-day world. Its sad, because they really have nothing else to do.

Hang in there, thatgirl. I'll be praying for your health to improve. =)
                        By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Quoth Skeksin View Post
                          -Merchant of Venice Act 3 Scene 1 by William Shakespeare....with a couple of changes
                          Meh, it's better in the original Klingon.

Thatgirl? Look after your health first. That SC has no concept of looking out for anyone other than herself.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Thatgirl71 View Post
                            Her favorite soap happens to be Pears brand soap
                            Love that soap! But it changed here recently. Look on the side of the box for me, does it say made in England or made in India? Because I'm looking for the older boxes from England. Less junk in it.
                            Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                              If she did that, then she'd have no reason to come into the store every day and harass the employees
                              How often does she need to buy soap?

Comment

Working...
                              X