This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy or penny pincher? You decide

I've been working as a cashier for about 18 years now, and just when I think I've seen it all, along comes this guy.... I was working over the weekend and he comes up with his family. As I scan his items, he keeps telling me the price of EVERY SINGLE ITEM He said on a few things, "unauthorized purchase", and I asked him if he wanted me to take those items off, but he said no. On a few other items, if it was more than the price he said, he wanted me to change it (nothing big, 10 cents to a dollar) and if it was less he would give a big smile and said, "we'll take that!"
    This guy was creeping me out a little bit, and I was almost certain that he was going to start haggling over prices or start giving me a hard time. But he simply paid for his stuff and left. Needless to say, his wife and kid remained mostly quiet throughout the whole thing. I guess they knew better than to interrupt his fun or too embarassed to say something to him like, "Stop doing that. Do you realize how dumb you look right now?" although I'm sure he wouldn't care. He seems to be that kind of person. It should be noted he wasn't rude or anything like that, but in my book he still qualifies as a sucky customer.
    I have never ever had anyone do this before, never. He was either crazy or he was a penny pincher or maybe both. When I checked out the next person in line, she said she was giving very serious consideration to leaving my line and going to another one because she was scared of this guy and what she thought he might probably do. I don't blame her one bit! Course I would've stayed in line and watched, then console the poor cashier who has to put up with an idiot like that.

Weird type of Obsessive Compulsive disorder?

Madness takes it's toll....
    Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
      Weird type of Obsessive Compulsive disorder?
      That was my thought. The guy probably can't help doing it. It didn't sound like deliberate jerkiness anyway.
      GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
        Weird type of Obsessive Repulsive disorder?
        Fixed that for you.
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

lol

talk about embarassment...He must have been a cheepskate.

Comment

There's definately a few cylinders in that guys head that aren't firing.
            D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
            Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

The fact he was all smiles for the lesser-price items suggests he was trying to be friendly in a rather odd way. Most "penny-pinchers" that are rude are rude all around. This guy strikes me as someone who was enjoying his own antics and expected you to find it funny too, thus the "unauthorized purchase" comments.
              A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Never ever believe you've seen it all or can't be surprised anymore; Fate has a really cruel sense of humor about that.
                Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

I'm confused. What did he mean by unauthorized purchase?

Comment

Quoth notlovinit View Post
                    I'm confused. What did he mean by unauthorized purchase?
                    I don't think that even the SC himself knows the answer to that question
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I remember a very long time ago (mid-80's) the grocery store had a little brochure about the new-fangled electronic scanners. One of the things it mentioned is that customers were entitled to pick up a marker from the customer service desk and use it to record all the prices directly on the item.

This guy sounds like somebody who got upset when they stopped doing that.

Comment

Quoth BowserKoopa1 View Post
                        When I checked out the next person in line, she said she was giving very serious consideration to leaving my line and going to another one because she was scared of this guy and what she thought he might probably do.
                        OT I was reminded of a few years back when I accidentally scared a cashier at Tarjay. Was there with my wife a few weeks before XMas and I saw something I knew she would love. I didn't know where she was in the store so I tucked it under my coat and went to cash out. When I got to the register I scanned the immediate area to make sure my wife wasn't in sight.

Me: Hi! I have a Christmas present for my wife. She's in the store somewhere and I don't want her to see it. Can you scan it real quick and put it in a bag?
                        Her: THANK GOD! I was sure you were about to pull out a gun and demand all the money in my register!

Note to self, never walk up to a cashier obviously hiding something under your coat and then suspiciously scan the area!
                        You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious.

Comment

Working...
                        X