This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The saga of the Ottoman Lady. [Rather long.]

This happened a few nights before Christmas 2009, so I figured it was about time to regale the CS community with the story of the Ottoman Lady, as she is still known today.

Tonight's dramatis personæ:

Me:
    M: Our CSM for the night.
    B: The cashier at whose register this whole story begins.
    E: The manager on duty on this night.
    SC: If you can't figure this one out ...
    SLSC: A (very) slightly less sucky customer. Acronyms are fun.

It's a couple of hours before the store closes, I'm at the service desk keeping busy and minding my own business when suddenly the one who will be known as SC comes stomping -- literally, stomping, up to the service desk and demands a manager. I promptly page such a person - M - up to the service desk. It takes her a few seconds to respond to the page; in the meantime, one of the cashiers comes up to help out at the service desk (somehow a line had already built up behind SC). I ask her to please go get M.

"I was just going to help get the line down," she tells me. In the time that it takes me to tell her to please go get M first, SC rounds on her and tells her that she "will help no one until [SC has] been helped!" Cashier scurries off rather quickly. I don't blame her.

M makes her way over to me, and SC word-vomits her entire story over the two of us. Apparently, she'd been checking out with B and had purchased (along with $250 in additional merchandise) a four-foot-long leather ottoman. B, of course, does not put the ottoman in a bag because this is not even theoretically possible, much less physically. SC takes severe offense to this and flips the hell out. SLSC, in line behind her, decides she will not stand for this and apparently tells SC to "shut the hell up and go away so we can all move on with our lives." SC is further offended, and decides to complain to the service desk.

Just as our SC finishes dropping this story on us, SLSC comes past and has more words for SC. "I don't know what's wrong with you, but you need to get a life!"

I don't think I've ever seen anyone move as fast as SC does, as she goes to confront her new best friend. I call for E -- like, right the hell now would be good -- and start wondering if I'm going have to be a witness in a police report. E comes by and pulls SC back to the service desk, while M walks SLSC out of the store. M does not return immediately -- remember this, it's important later.

E gives SC 30% off her purchase. I'm not thrilled, but at least it means she's going to go away, I think. (This is where I learn not to tempt fate.) She stomps out of the store, and I prepare to move along with my life.

Maybe thirty seconds pass before SC makes her next appearance. "That employee (M) and that customer (SLSC) are harassing me! I'm calling the police!" She proceeds to do so. At this point, M re-enters the store. SC swings around and pushes her hand in M's face, nearly striking her, and tells E to "get her away from me, I have nothing to say to her!" M looks like she's about to cry and moves far, far away very quickly. SC proceeds to leave, again.

Our loyal cart attendant come sinto the store at this point and makes a point of telling E, within many people's hearing range, that he'd seen everything outside, and neither M nor SLSC had done anything at all to SC, but that SC had been trying to instigate a fight with them. This makes SC a liar, in addition to her many other wonderful personality traits.

About ten minutes later, our friendly local police representative appears. He talks briefly to E, discovers that SC is batshit insane, and leaves.

After consideration, management decides to drop a banhammer on both customers.

And thus ends the saga of the Ottoman Lady.

Wow.
    Good on the cop for siding with you! But fail on the SC's part for being that way.
    Also, sorry you had to deal with that twatwaffle

Comment

Honestly, from the story, it doesn't sound like SLSC is really all that sucky at all. Perhaps a little aggressive, but in both parts, it seems to be a response directly towards the SC's behavior. First SC was bitching about something that couldn't be bagged not being bagged and holding up the line. The second, SLSC no doubt heard SC bitching about her AND that the item wasn't bagged.

Though the SC shouldn't have been given any sort of discount whatsoever. Especially one as large as 30%...

Comment

If SLSC left the first time and aside from being verbally assertive, I don't feel she deserved the banhammer. We often cheer other members on this board for calling out sucky behavior. Perhaps SLSC was much more excited and assertive than the post lets on, I wasn't there.

Either way, yikes. I'd never want an employee to be hit, but I'm a little disappointed something didn't happen, if only because SC deserved to be hauled off by the police she so conveniently called.
        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Yeah I mean....from the way you've worded it with the post, SLSC doesn't seem to deserve the banhammer. But, as bainsidhe said, maybe the post didn't describe how she acted.

If anything, I'd be glad that someone stood up to the crazy woman. SC's are SCs because nobody calls them out on their behavior...and SLSC did just so. =/
          By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

The beginning of the story sounds like some kind of stupid prank. Like asking your car dealership to bag your brand new minivan. I've never heard of someone flipping out over something like this.

If I were in SLSC's shoes I'd probably confront her about a request this stupid but I'd probably be a little more witty about it. Like recommending to the clerk she uses some black trash bag or something that might actually fit an ottoman.
            Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
            Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
            Fiancee: What?!
            Me: Nevermind.

Comment

Quoth thehuckster View Post
              The beginning of the story sounds like some kind of stupid prank. Like asking your car dealership to bag your brand new minivan. I've never heard of someone flipping out over something like this.
              Truth is stranger than fiction. Why did SC want a bag for an ottoman in the first place?
              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                Why did SC want a bag for an ottoman in the first place?
                Because SC is what we call a sucky customer

*ducks*
                Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Truth is stranger than fiction. Why did SC want a bag for an ottoman in the first place?
                  Because it was uughly, and she didn't want to be seen with her new date.
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                    Because it was uughly, and she didn't want to be seen with her new date.
                    Bwahahaha! I love leather too, but not THAT much! (wink wink)
                    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

For the same reason my customers want me to use 2 medium bags for a 12-pack of soda, one bag on each end.
                      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                        For the same reason my customers want me to use 2 medium bags for a 12-pack of soda, one bag on each end.
                        And what reason is that ?
                        "Because it's there"?

Comment

What's a banhammer?

Comment

Quoth vloglady View Post
                            What's a banhammer?
                            Banhammer: (Combination of ban and hammer; A tool applied to a SC to permanently and irrecoverably ban an SC from a place of business. See also.
                            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth vloglady
                              What's a banhammer?
                              It's next up from the clue-by-4 that causes irreparable damage to an SC's morale and ability to invoke Suckify Transmorfagus on the cashier victims. Causes 87hp damage. Can be combined with clue-by-4 for up to 110hp damage on a 6d10 roll.

Comment

Working...
                              X