This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how many times do I have to tell you?

I work the switchboard/office supply are for a benefits management company. I really love my job and my coworkers but sometimes the people who call in make me weep for the human race.

Our system is a little wierd, I dont have any listings anywhere by department. I can only locate someone by first and last name. No matter how many times I tell people this, they don't get it, or think I am just jacking with them (in which case they ask for my supervisor to try and get me in trouble.....and she tells them the same thing I just did). This policy is to protect from telemarketers and fraudulent calls.

I had 2 people today who really took the cake.

M: Me
    MM: Mad man
    IW: ignorant woman

Call 1

M: Hi, (company name) how may I help you?
    MM: I wanna talk to (name) right now!
    M: One moment please

I connect him. The call rings back to the switchboard, this occurs twice. On the third time, he says:

MM: I WANT TO TALK TO (NAME) RIGHT NOW YOU KEEP SENDING ME TO HER VOICE MAIL IS SHE IN OR NOT I WANT TO TALK TO HER.

Now, we have an office of over 3,000 people, and my switchboard is in an enclosed area by itself. I have no idea who most of these people even are, let alone if they are in or not. But I put on my "overly nice because you are pissing me off" voice and say

M: Sir I apologize but I do not have that information. However, if she is not responding to calls then the best way to contact her would be through her company email address at (I give the address.).
    MM: NO I WANT TO TALK TO SOMEONE, WHO CAN I TALK TO IF SHE WONT PICK UP
    M: Unfortunately, we do not have listings by department, and I will be unable to connect you unless you have the first and last name of the person you are trying to reach. Do you know the name of any other person?

This goes on a vicious cycle for about 5 minutes and he says

MM: STOP ASKING ME THAT!! I TOLD YOU I WANT TO TALK TO (NAME) AND SHE WONT ANSWER HER PHONE. I WANT TO TALK TO SOMEONE NOW, NOW MAKE (NAME) ANSWER HER PHONE.

repeat cycle for 10 minutes, and the guy finally gives up.

Call 2

IW: (who has very thick, unintelligable accent) something about speaking to (employee) regarding a payment to an account
    M: 'goes into the whole spiel about emailing if she is not answering, per company policy'
    IW: garble garble need to talk to her, need to talk to anyone
    M: apologizes profusely, states that there are no listings by department, does she know the name of anyone else she could speak to?
    IW: I just told you name, get me someone,
    M: ma'am since (employee) is the only name you have given me, I can only forward you to her, if she does not answer then the only way to contact her is trough her company email.

annnddd...just like that IW is gone......

I have a lot of other stories, like the man who called to stalk his ex wife on the day he got off parole......called the office 85 times n 15 minutes....all.day.long. Or the people who hate me because the company decided to stop giving them free kleenex (people started stealing it when school started to send with their kids who had it on their school supply lists.).
    Last edited by AccountingSlave; 07-29-2011, 07:47 PM.

Call one happens alot here. They don't get that I can't force people to answer their phone and I often here "can you go look for the person and make them answer?". No, I can't. And I won't. I am not leaving my desk where I make revenue for the company to be your messenger. Suck it.

I also have alot of phone calls that, for some reason, people take a while to answer me. I say my spiel and instead of immediately saying what they want, I have to say "hello? hello?" before they will speak. If you call a hotel, why aren't you actually on the phone? I can and WILL hang up if you don't answer me, I will not sit on the phone waiting for you.

Comment

I know, right? What gets me is the fact that they think it is somehow personally my fault or that I am not doing my job properly because someone won't answer or return phone calls...or clean out their voice mail inbox.....

I get the people not answering right away a lot too. I also get telemarketers/collectors who put ME on hold when they call me.

I have to make sure the calls do not disrupt my numbers (I get scores on call times, how long they last, how long I take to answer, etc. and I have to make sure my numbers are good)
      Last edited by AccountingSlave; 07-29-2011, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Being on swichboard is the worst cos everyone is a sucky customer. No-one can see you so they all think youre BSing them. Sounds like the first guy didnt understand what a voicemail is though lol

Comment

Ah, yes, been there...done that. Repeatedly.

For the record:
          - I cannot MAKE someone answer their phone, especially if they're not in!
          - I cannot MAKE someone reply to your 57 ranty voicemails.
          - Using obscenity will not produce the results you want. All it does is make the call mysteriously disconnect.
          - I cannot tell you whether someone who works in another dept, on another floor, is in. Nor can I tell you how long it will be before they return your call.
          - I cannot transfer you to someone who works in another building in another county!

Worst part is, I am not a switchboard operator, but our number is the one printed all over the paper, so everybody dials it first whether they want our dept or not.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth AccountingSlave View Post
            I get the people not answering right away a lot too. I also get telemarketers/collectors who put ME on hold when they call me.
            Calls like that are on my "immediate disconnect without another word" list...

- Being called by a person and then being asked to Hold by the caller

- Being called by a compu-*click*

- Hearing a curse word escape their lips
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
              Calls like that are on my "immediate disconnect without another word" list...

- Being called by a person and then being asked to Hold by the caller
              From what I've heard, that situation is where VIP doesn't want their valuable time wasted, so they have their secretary place the call, then not disturb them until the person they want to reach is on the line. Definitely self-important asshat material.

In a world with justice, they'd have a desperate need to contact someone who, as a matter of policy, hangs up on anyone who calls and then tells them to hold.

I'd like to hear about someone who picks up the phone, gets told "hold for (extremely high-profile VIP), and hangs up. Even when (extremely high-profile VIP) is someone along the lines of "President of the United States".
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                I'd like to hear about someone who picks up the phone, gets told "hold for (extremely high-profile VIP), and hangs up. Even when (extremely high-profile VIP) is someone along the lines of "President of the United States".
                I think you're only allowed to do that if you have an actual title in front of your name. Like General, Admiral, or President.

Just some random person from another company? No. Call back when you want to talk, or contact the person directly.

If you're so important and such good friends you already have their direct contact information.

Comment

Wolfie - fair enough. If I hear "Hello, how are you today? .... This is ____ from ____ calling on behalf of Mr Suchandsuch. Would you mind if I put you on Hold for a moment while I get him on the line?" --- THAT, I have no problem with whatsoever. The ones I hang up on are the ones that literally ask me to Hold with no greeting nor explanation whatsoever, nor a chance to respond.
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                    Wolfie - fair enough. If I hear "Hello, how are you today? .... This is ____ from ____ calling on behalf of Mr Suchandsuch. Would you mind if I put you on Hold for a moment while I get him on the line?" --- THAT, I have no problem with whatsoever. The ones I hang up on are the ones that literally ask me to Hold with no greeting nor explanation whatsoever, nor a chance to respond.
                    Exactly.

I always hang up on the computer voice "Please hold for an important message/representative." The one that REALLY got me was when I first was dating my husband. His father called my phone, I said "Hello?" and he said (I'm not lying) "Who's this?" No identification of himself whatsoever. Now I have to point out that if his son had been a minor and he was checking who his son had been calling (as in a redial) I could see it, but my husband was 36 years old at the time.

I had no idea who was calling me, this was in the days before you could see the number calling on your phone. All I knew was I was single, living alone, and an unidentified man called my number and said "Who's this?" I said "you called me, Who are YOU????????"

I should have known then it wasn't going to go well when we got married

Comment

That has VERY seldom happened to me, but yeah, "Who's this?" callers get the "EK-as-complete-asshole" treatment from me when they make that mistake ^_^

...Granted, I'm not really an asshole (we all think that, don't we?), but I play one on TV

Comment

Ah, yes, the asshole callers who don't believe a word you have to say.

I had one of those. I was the, well, the office had four rooms, total, with two of those being the offices of the three real estate agents I worked for, and I was the only other employee, so I did pretty much everything that needed to be done that they handed to me.

This guy calls and asks for the top boss, the guy whose name is the same as the company. I let him know that top boss isn't in the office and ask to take a message. He asks for anyone else, and I let him know there is nobody there but me and ask if I can take a message. We didn't have voice mail, so he could either leave a message or call back.

Instead, he spent the next five minutes calling me a liar and berating me for not giving him to whoever was in charge of the office that day because I couldn't possibly have the keys to open it up myself, being a lowly office peon. I eventually hung up on him because he wouldn't shut up.

Fun fact: The top boss handed me the keys to the office the day he hired me. Which was half an hour after first meeting me. No background check or anything. He's lucky I'm honest, because his office was stocked with some very expensive (for the time) computers.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                          - Being called by a compu-*click*
                          At work, I've been getting a lot of calls where it's computer generated, but it listens, too. I pick up the phone and hear a voice, so I do my normal spiel. (It's not unusual for someone to call us, but continue their conversation with a friend until we get on the line.) It almost sounds like there's really a person there, because the computer hears me talking and stops its spiel. But it starts over at the beginning when I stop talking. When I say, "is there someone there?" it stops for a second, then starts over again.

Now that I think about it, that sounds like the same pattern as the first caller in the OP. Maybe he's really a slightly more sophisticated (but still just as stupid) computer program? Nah. Couldn't be.
                          "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                          -Mira Furlan

Comment

I had another one today...

Let's call him N. Because he was nasty, and his company name starts with that letter.

Me: (company greeting)
                            N: I am an employee of NCompany and they sent me to you because they messed up on my 401K, I want to talk to someone.

I connect the call to the 800 line for that company, because that is what I am supposed to do, and assume that it's over.....but it's wasn't. He calls back about 10 minutes later.

N: I am having a very difficult time here, I am sick of automated systems, send me to a senior executive!
                            Me: Sir, I apologize but I do not have listings by department, I can only connect you if you know the first and last name of the person you want to reach, and for NCompany I can only send you to the 800 line for that company, I have no control over the call at that point.

This goes back and forth for a few minutes

N: this is stupid, pick a name and just send me to someone.
                            Me: sir, I am not allowed to do that per company policy, I could lose my job.
                            N: Well you should do your job and get me to someone. You are not doing your job, blah blah blah, rant, rant, rant
                            Me: Sir, there is no need for that

He starts cussins and *click* I terminate the call. Haven't heard back from him yet, but that one actually almost made me cry.

Comment

Working...
                            X